Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Just ordered my T1R header. Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Just ordered my T1R header. Quick Question

I just ordered a used T1R prototype header from A&J racing for $171.00 and it is heat wrapped. I've heard some scary things about heat wrap destroying headers used in a street application. Should I unwrap it? or should i just leave it. I just don't want my header to rust and fall apart, so please help because I should be installing it this weekend and want to decide what to do before I install it. Thanks

Old 08-11-2010, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
I would leave it!!!

Old 08-12-2010, 01:52 AM
I want to but I read a few threads that said heat wrap will cause corrosion...Any and all coments and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-12-2010, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
heat wrap will hold some moisture which will cause your header to rust much sooner

Old 08-12-2010, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
I would think you could paint it with high heat paint.... and then re-wrap it with the heat wrap, but don't quote me on it. That's what I would look into doing. I wouldn't want my $171 rusting away so quickly.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
On all my previous Hondas I have wrapped my stainless exmani. Never did I have any issues. Wrapping cast iron and non-stainless steel manis is where the rust and falling apart comes into play. It's possible a piece that was not constructed with quality stainless may corrode, but I don't think it will rust through unless completely worthless material to begin with.

I even unwrapped and rewrapped my exmanis to see and show. Unfortunately I don't have those pics available. There will be a discoloration, but I had no rust or pitting of the metal. As far as the discoloration, I started to clean it up and buffed it and it was back to shiny as can be. I wish I could find the pics of the Toda after unwrapping that I had on my old 5R Teggy, this even had an Ings bonnet with an inlet for air that allowed water to get right onto the exmani and it rained very much in Okinawa and still never had any issues.

The manis I have used in the past were Feel's, Toda and Amuse.

The other thing to look at is the actual wrapping job, the lay over of material should be about 6mm (1/4") and no more. This allows a good evening of the heat and will not cause hot spots, which is another cause of failure...poor application of the material to begin with.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
"prototype" , "t1r", and "aj racing".........

good luck with that one!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by SPON FIT
heat wrap will hold some moisture which will cause your header to rust much sooner
That won't be such a big problem with stainless steel headers. usually the wrap is 2-3 layers the way it's positioned on the jazz, it wont get wet. and the moisture sticking on it will be minimal

You should have no problem with a heat wrapped header..

Old 02-09-2011, 01:22 PM
I think the one you bought was off the AJR time attack Fit. The T1R exhaust are durable so if I were you, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:46 PM
X2 I've had wrapped Headers on my Civic and never had an issue!! But i know some companies like DEI sell stuff to put on wrap to repel moisture if you want to be sure.... But Header wrap sure have advantages so i would leave it where it is!

Marko!!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
Unless you want to have it ceramic coated, i would leave the wrap on!

or you could also sell it to me!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:56 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Heat wrap is cute but it really won't do anything for you in terms of performance. Only people who are pushing the performance envelope are going see any benefit from the stuff. But like I said, it looks cool.

I understand where the corrosion stories come from. The wrap can trap and hold moisture against the surface of the header. Heat, moisture and metal - even stainless - are a volatile mix, and corrosion issues are a definite concern. I'll hazard a guess and say that as long as you don't do a lot of short drives you should be okay. The car should run long enough for the exhaust heat to completely dry out the wrap.

But if you're only leaving it on for looks... meh. Why chance it.