Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Turbo 1.3 i-DSi. Questions. Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 05:35 AM
5 Year Member
Turbo 1.3 i-DSi. Questions. Please Help.

I'm thinking of going turbo over winter but I need some advice with a few things.
Firstly, are there any kits out there ready to go for the 1.3 Jazz's?
I've seen one kit, and when I emailed the company about it, they didn't do it anymore and only sold one for the Jazz at double the price listed.

If there are no kits available, where do I get a Turbo Manifold from?
Do I get one custom made or are there already ones out there?

Any advice on injectors and piggybacks etc would be great also. I need all the advice I can get, I want to to do this!

Thannks guys.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:30 AM
5 Year Member
You could just cobble a turbo kit yourself. A Garrett GT15 or Mitsubishi TD04 turbo can work on the L13A3. Get someone to make you custom piping, then run either a 5th injector setup or upsize your four stock injectors (a CR-V's can work) to take care of the fuelling.

Beware though, the hard part is in the tuning. That's going to spell if you ultimately actually make any more power with the hardware.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
You could just cobble a turbo kit yourself. A Garrett GT15 or Mitsubishi TD04 turbo can work on the L13A3. Get someone to make you custom piping, then run either a 5th injector setup or upsize your four stock injectors (a CR-V's can work) to take care of the fuelling.

Beware though, the hard part is in the tuning. That's going to spell if you ultimately actually make any more power with the hardware.
Yeah I reckon i can get the tuning done by a shop, and just run my standard internals. I'm not looking for stupid power, maybe 140? If thats possible with the L13.
I've looked all over for a Garrett GT15 but can't find any on the internet.

Would the CR-V injectors over fuel the engine or do they work ok?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by braziers
Yeah I reckon i can get the tuning done by a shop, and just run my standard internals. I'm not looking for stupid power, maybe 140? If thats possible with the L13.
I've looked all over for a Garrett GT15 but can't find any on the internet.

Would the CR-V injectors over fuel the engine or do they work ok?
A shop here, Speedlab, does both fuel setups (5th 440cc injector or replacement of stock injectors with CR-V units). Had a buddy who tried the 5th injector setup first, then upgraded to the CR-V ones. He liked it. Onset of boost became more progressive.

Speedlab uses Dastek's Unichip piggyback ECU to handle the fuel control and tuning. With their tune they can get 120 WHP, which is practically double the stock power output at the wheels. This is with a conservative 0.8 bar of boost and all stock internals.

Here's a link to their site just to give you an idea of what they do with the L13A3...this webpage mentions the 5th injector setup.
SPEEDLAB | The Science of Speed

The TD04 should work okay on your Jazz if you can't find a GT15...it's also a small turbo and is a rather known quantity by now. It does wonders for Honda's older D-series engines.

I'm no expert on this mind you, I'm just sharing what I know Good luck Sam and keep us posted.

Final comment: Your Jazz would cope with the power way better with the manual gearbox. If you've got a CVT the boost will just kill your clutch packs.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
A shop here, Speedlab, does both fuel setups (5th 440cc injector or replacement of stock injectors with CR-V units). Had a buddy who tried the 5th injector setup first, then upgraded to the CR-V ones. He liked it. Onset of boost became more progressive.

Speedlab uses Dastek's Unichip piggyback ECU to handle the fuel control and tuning. With their tune they can get 120 WHP, which is practically double the stock power output at the wheels. This is with a conservative 0.8 bar of boost and all stock internals.

Here's a link to their site just to give you an idea of what they do with the L13A3...this webpage mentions the 5th injector setup.
SPEEDLAB | The Science of Speed

The TD04 should work okay on your Jazz if you can't find a GT15...it's also a small turbo and is a rather known quantity by now. It does wonders for Honda's older D-series engines.

I'm no expert on this mind you, I'm just sharing what I know Good luck Sam and keep us posted.

Final comment: Your Jazz would cope with the power way better with the manual gearbox. If you've got a CVT the boost will just kill your clutch packs.
Thats the place I emailed before, Speedlab, and they said the only kit they have now is the HKS kit which is around 3500GBP, which is ALOT of money, more than I could make a kit for.
My car is manual, so that helps if I'm going to go turbo.
I just need to start getting some parts, firstly the Turbo and the Piggyback, then the FMIC, then have all the piping etc custom made for me.I would be happy with 120WHP. I don't know what my car is running at the wheels currently, but it should have around 84BHP.

I think I would definately upgrade to the CR-V injectors, rather than go for the 5th injector option. Aslong as the piggyback can handle the fueling well.

Is it possible for anyone to make up a list of parts for me?
I'll start with what I know.

-Turbo
-FMIC
-Piggyback
-Injectors
-Turbo Manifold

after that I have no clue!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
Oh so I guess they haven't updated their site huh? That's strange.

82 BHP gets reduced to around 62 at the wheels (WHP) when the power is done feeding through all the other parts. Yes our cars are that weak in stock condition.

As for the parts list I think you're good to go. Just find a good tuner to work the magic out of them parts.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member
Oh so I guess they haven't updated their site huh? That's strange.

82 BHP gets reduced to around 62 at the wheels (WHP) when the power is done feeding through all the other parts. Yes our cars are that weak in stock condition.

As for the parts list I think you're good to go. Just find a good tuner to work the magic out of them parts.
Yeah, If I can get around 140BHP (~120WHP) I will be happy enough.
Just need to start buying parts now, and looking for a good tunig shop to do it for me

Old 09-27-2010, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
my idsi was boosted by speedlab. I used a T25 turbine.

see my post here :

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-forced-induction-forum/31721-turbo-fit-3.html#post821807

it's the silver gd

Old 01-26-2012, 08:34 AM
hi, maybe some news and ideas on boosting L12-L13 engines?
i'm starting to think about such way of gaining more power, as K20 swap is quite expensive, but still it would be very nice to have some real example

Old 02-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Selmas San
hi, maybe some news and ideas on boosting L12-L13 engines?
i'm starting to think about such way of gaining more power, as K20 swap is quite expensive, but still it would be very nice to have some real example
PM me.