Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

I just returned from the dragstrip....

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:52 PM
I know it's not "officially" official...but I ran a 16.65 @ 80 mph with the dynolicious iPhone app. My car is stripped of 155 lbs and the only performance mod is IK22 plugs...but I ran this with a completely full gas tank. This iPhone app has been shown to be accurate within several 1/100ths of a second. It will also calculate HP if you know exact weight of car + gas + driver.

You've made me think twice about a SRI with this clever ECU...

Old 10-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
I went the E-manage Ultimate route...

I recently pulled it all out of my car, my car feels really slow now
What made you pull it all out? What MPG were you averaging with your tune? Were you NA or FI? HP and TQ numbers if NA please

Old 10-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Well, i checked out my AFR today.... 13.2 AFR at WOT!! It will run dangerously lean if i put on an upgraded intake manifold or if i clamp my MAP at a lower value.... I think it's time to upgrade my injectors... Stupid stock programming!!

Anybody known if some Honda CRV injectors (B20) will fit on a Fit and what are the flow rates of both the Fit and CR-V injectors? The reason i ask this is because a friend have a B20 engine lying around and it would be really easy to swap injectors... If it's juste something like 10% bigger i could give it a try!!

Marko!!

Last edited by DOHCtor; 10-05-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by DOHCtor
Well, i checked out my AFR today.... 13.2 AFR at WOT!! It will run dangerously lean if i put on an upgraded intake manifold or if i clamp my MAP at a lower value.... I think it's time to upgrade my injectors... Stupid stock programming!!

Anybody known if some Honda CRV injectors (B20) will fit on a Fit and what are the flow rates of both the Fit and CR-V injectors? The reason i ask this is because a friend have a B20 engine lying around and it would be really easy to swap injectors... If it's juste something like 10% bigger i could give it a try!!

Marko!!
So the ECU reverted AFR back to stock? If you swap injectors, won't the ECU just decrease the amount of fuel that gets injected to maintain the same AFR?

Old 10-06-2010, 12:30 PM
My guess is that if i put on 10% bigger injectors (My fuel trim are at +- +10% correction!) it will return to 0% correction and won't be the wiser!! It should also leave some headroom for more airflow if i put a testpipe and\or intake manifold later on!!

Normally a piggyback will add ignition advance when it will remove fuel! Maybe the Fit ECU is frogrammed that way!?!?

Marko!!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:14 PM
My guess is that if i put on 10% bigger injectors (My fuel trim are at +- +10% correction!) it will return to 0% correction and won't be the wiser!! It should also leave some headroom for more airflow if i put a testpipe and\or intake manifold later on!!

Normally a piggyback will add ignition advance when it will remove fuel! Maybe the Fit ECU is frogrammed that way!?!?

Marko!!
So what AFR represents 0% correction...13.2?

This is an intriguiging thread...

The unfortunate thing is that you are not verifying gains (or losses) with a Dyno. Using 1/4 mile time to judge the benefit of bolt-ons is way too inaccurate. If you're going to go through all the trouble to swap injectors then you might as well Dyno your car so you'll know if this is actually helpful.

Honestly, a test-pipe (and less restrictive exhaust) is going to reduce your torque and mid-range HP...you really won't see a benefit on the L15a unless you go turbo or supercharger. IMHO, torque and midrange HP are much more important in a daily driven car

If you go with an upgraded intake manifold, you might consider a throttle body upgrade at the same time (ported to match the intake manifold).

Old 10-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Based on this...

11.3:1 seems to be the stock Air\Fuel Ratio! Now that i have an Header, Exhaust, yadda yadda... it's at 13.2:1! Pretty close to the 13.4:1 i see there!! It's time to look out for some injectors!! I'm gonna check out for some inexpensive injectors now...

Marko!!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Interesting, that dyno graph is pretty similar to the one posted by Honda Tuning:

Old 10-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Based on this...

11.3:1 seems to be the stock Air\Fuel Ratio! Now that i have an Header, Exhaust, yadda yadda... it's at 13.2:1! Pretty close to the 13.4:1 i see there!! It's time to look out for some injectors!! I'm gonna check out for some inexpensive injectors now...

Marko!!
I'm shocked that a header on this engine produced such humongous gains. You almost never see that on a small displacement engine with OEM cams.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
Do want m0ar m0ar!
what header is this?!?

Old 11-24-2010, 10:21 PM
T1R Responce!

I resolved about half of my headache when i adjusted my valves!! The car really feels more powerful now!! My bet is that my exhaust valves kept open a couple of thousandths when the engine was hot because, now that my valves are adjusted, my fuel trims are at +2% and my maximum ignition advance is at 15° at WOT vs. 12° before! I'm satisfied!

Marko!!

Old 11-25-2010, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
T1R Responce!

I resolved about half of my headache when i adjusted my valves!! The car really feels more powerful now!! My bet is that my exhaust valves kept open a couple of thousandths when the engine was hot because, now that my valves are adjusted, my fuel trims are at +2% and my maximum ignition advance is at 15° at WOT vs. 12° before! I'm satisfied!

Marko!!
Ha ha nice! just changed my sig! I wonder how much it would cost to have it ceramic coated!

So turns out the ECU was'nt the culprit? the valves we're the ones to blame?

@bnd i don't think intake mani is the way to go on NA most (if not all) people got loss on the low end with with WR mani regardless of the bolt-ons they had... having a bigger throttle would be a good idea, but i think that a TC might be a better place to start...

Old 11-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Last time i checked out, it was something like 250$... Personately, i'm very satisfied with my DC Sports Header that i had for (If i remember...) 300$ at Julien Performance!! The only thing i did was a porting at the collector!! It's already coated btw!

Marko!!

Old 11-25-2010, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
well i contacted Jason at A&J racing and T1R header is discontinued guess i could be happy with the DC... i did know that it was already coated, just did'nt seem like the best out there (maybe dollar for dollar) perhaps that the biggest cost difference comes from the fact that it's mild steel instead of stainless... the porting idea interests me though...

well i'll just wait to get one used on here and put it in next summer or buy the DC!

oh and BTW the ECU did'nt mess with your settings after all? it felt kind of weird that with only these mods you would run lean... correct me if i'm wrong

Old 11-26-2010, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by cr4zy3lgato
well i contacted Jason at A&J racing and T1R header is discontinued guess i could be happy with the DC... i did know that it was already coated, just did'nt seem like the best out there (maybe dollar for dollar) perhaps that the biggest cost difference comes from the fact that it's mild steel instead of stainless... the porting idea interests me though...

well i'll just wait to get one used on here and put it in next summer or buy the DC!

oh and BTW the ECU did'nt mess with your settings after all? it felt kind of weird that with only these mods you would run lean... correct me if i'm wrong
Well, it's still running lean! My Scantool indicates between 13.2:1 - 13.4:1 AFR at WOT! But my part throttle fuel trims aren't fucked up anymore, my ignition advance is almost restored and my power too (If any... :P)!! Next summer, i would want to try to mess up a little with my FPR or put bigger injectors on it as well as a SAFC Neo to support more power later!!

If you check at the bottom of the chart, his AFR are at 13.4:1 too!!

Marko!!

Old 11-26-2010, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
Well, it's still running lean! My Scantool indicates between 13.2:1 - 13.4:1 AFR at WOT! But my part throttle fuel trims aren't fucked up anymore, my ignition advance is almost restored and my power too (If any... :P)!! Next summer, i would want to try to mess up a little with my FPR or put bigger injectors on it as well as a SAFC Neo to support more power later!!

If you check at the bottom of the chart, his AFR are at 13.4:1 too!!

Marko!!
Your AFR is a tad lean from book smarts on Hp but I am in a middle of an argument with my son and he says running leaner will produce more power. Ive been reading up and getting mixed opinions on how lean you can go to make more power. In the Fit build up they run as lean 15 making HP. Jazz VTEC Power

Old 11-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Running leaner AFR will produce more power up to the point where the hotter combustion will melt pistons and valves!! Still, if you want to play it safe your best bet is 12.5:1 until torque peak and then lean out to 13:1 after torque peak at WOT!!

MArko!!

Old 11-26-2010, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Ha ha you'll need to show me this when you help me adjust my valves!

Old 11-26-2010, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Running leaner AFR will produce more power up to the point where the hotter combustion will melt pistons and valves!! Still, if you want to play it safe your best bet is 12.5:1 until torque peak and then lean out to 13:1 after torque peak at WOT!!

MArko!!
I agree but the pent roof combustion chamber and aluminum block and heads cools the engine fast for leaner mixtures with out knock using the right fuel.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Just more info on lean burn Lean burn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I agree for max power it safe to run richer and fuel type has a lot to do on how lean a engine can run.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.c...=101915&page=5

Last edited by SilverBullet; 11-26-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Quick Reply: I just returned from the dragstrip....