Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

hfp muffler shortened!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 04:51 AM
5 Year Member
Talking hfp muffler shortened!!

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Proceed at own risk. Just shortened my hfp muffler by removing the neck between the can and the tip. This was done basicly just for looks as well as better clearance. I'm not an expert and make no claims of power increase I just didn't care for the look of the neck. Here's what I found. The muffler seems slightly louder probably because the outlet is now under the car and not at the back of the bumper. The result that I was hoping for was less scraping backing out of drive ways/speedbumps and well I haven't scraped it since!! If you have access to a welder its free so totally worth it for me. If you take it to a shop they'll probably charge the shop minimum around 50usd. Sorry for no step by step photos but its really straight forward so if there's any questions let me know. Thanks

Old 06-18-2011, 04:54 AM
5 Year Member
Next I want to move the brackets to bring it closer to the car. Hangs down too far for me

Old 06-18-2011, 04:59 AM
5 Year Member
Name:  2011-04-19105340.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  100.9 KB

Old 06-18-2011, 05:58 AM
5 Year Member
or you get an HKS that fits

Name:  001-11.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  43.2 KB

Old 06-18-2011, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=Black3sr;1004727]or you get an HKS that fits

Lol I really like the look of your muffler. I'm currently saving up for a spoon n1. I actually joined recently in an attempt to purchase one from the classifieds but it sold before I got paid ;my luck. Are you happy with the hks? Auto or manual tranny?thanks

Old 06-18-2011, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
I really like the HKS. Not too loud, just enjoyable unless you floor it. It is quiet enough to pull away from police car without getting stopped -)

I am AT

Old 06-18-2011, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
looks good but I'd be worried about roasting the bumper if you cut the neck too short. another option is to raise the entire muffler with worm clamps at the hangar for more driveway/speedbump clearance.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GD3_Wagoon
looks good but I'd be worried about roasting the bumper if you cut the neck too short. another option is to raise the entire muffler with worm clamps at the hangar for more driveway/speedbump clearance.
thanks!
This did cross my mind the heat issue. I'm still stock to the axle back and don't produce a lot of heat. I figured if guys could go ex.manifold back with a jdm muffler and usdm bumper id risk it and its the best reason to get a jdm rear bumper I could find lol. If I raise the muffler via the hangers I couldn't avoid having it point up a little bit. Any suggestions would help. Except purchasing something that fits perfect hhahaha that's what I'm planning as soon as affordable. Just not the first thing on my list

Old 06-22-2011, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by joey_fits
thanks!
This did cross my mind the heat issue. I'm still stock to the axle back and don't produce a lot of heat. I figured if guys could go ex.manifold back with a jdm muffler and usdm bumper id risk it and its the best reason to get a jdm rear bumper I could find lol. If I raise the muffler via the hangers I couldn't avoid having it point up a little bit. Any suggestions would help. Except purchasing something that fits perfect hhahaha that's what I'm planning as soon as affordable. Just not the first thing on my list
good point with the hangars. it's cheap ($2.00 for a set of 2 at lowes) but it does point the tip upward a little... jdm rear bumper with your hfp set-up would be so'sick, DOOOO IIIIIIITTT lol

Old 06-22-2011, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GD3_Wagoon
good point with the hangars. it's cheap ($2.00 for a set of 2 at lowes) but it does point the tip upward a little... jdm rear bumper with your hfp set-up would be so'sick, DOOOO IIIIIIITTT lol
The weird thing is it'd fit perfectly. Moded factory usdm muffler,jdm rear bumper. This is how I concluded that the neck was pure aestetics its like honda just made it flush for the usdm model but didn't bring it closer to the body. Plus I believe the jdm bumper is a aphrodesiac

Old 07-05-2011, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
Its been about a month since I shortened my muffler. No problems what so ever. Bumper is showing no signs of heat damage. Haven't scraped it once since