Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Spark plug confusion

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Spark plug confusion

I have been on here reading threads on spark plugs then attempting to order them for an hour and I am totally confused. I have an 08 base model a/t fit. Everyone recommends either the NGK Iridium or the Denso Ik22. I can't fins ik22 for my model, are people putting civic si spark plugs in the 1.5l or what? I am also confused on the NGK. I don't know which ones with what gap and so on. I just need to know what plugs are going to be best for my vehicle, anyone have a link I could get? if anyone knows where to buy them even, it would really help. PLEASE HELP

Old 05-15-2012, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
from Denso's global site

IK series
IK16. IK20. IK22. IK24. IK27. IK31. IK34. IK16G. IK20G. IK22G. IK16L. IK20L
・ Mainly used for cars. ISO type.
・ 14mm dia. X L19mm length type.
・ IK22 and above are for tuned engines, with a spark gap of 0.8mm.
・ IK16G, IK20G, and IK22G have a solid, stainless steel gasket (mainly used with Honda engines).
・ IRIDIUM TOUGH VK16, VK20, and VK22 are also on sale at the same time.
・ IK□L is extended type (spark position 5mm)
According to them, the replacement spark plugs for 2007, 08, 09 and 10 are all IK20L (For "Iridium Power" category anyway). DENSO SPARK PLUGS

The only thing about IK22 that I can say is... I've seen it mentioned on the forum. But I have no personal experience with it (good or bad).

As for NGK, the part number is IZFR6K13 (stock #6774)... according to their site (you'll have to input car info).

You should be able to find at least the NGK spark plugs at Autozone and similar shops.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member
Hope this helps...

I've been using IK22s, in my '07 GD3 for over 75K now, and have experienced good results with these plugs set at a .032" gap.

I ordered my set from a local authorized Denso dealer. I found this information at the Denso website. Check their site and search for a dealer in your area.
Here is another source you might try. KraftWerks website:
Denso Iridium Power IK22 Spark Plugs (Set of 4)

I recently replaced my IK22 plugs with a new set. The first set needed to be replaced because the ground electrodes were starting to "round." As the sharp edges of the electrode wore away, the gap needed to be adjusted more frequently.

FYI, my second set was factory gapped at .030" and decided to leave it at that. I've been using it set that way for several tanks now, and I have had no issues so far.

Compare the "rounded" ground electrode of the used IK22, to a brand new plug.

Last edited by macbuddy; 05-15-2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:09 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
From the owner's manual:

Name:  0515120046-00.jpg
Views: 6847
Size:  180.4 KB

You can choose between NGK or Denso. Just search the plugs online and buy it wherever it's cheapest, could be Amazon or some other site. I used sparkplugauto.com last time because they had the best price then, I don't know about now.

The plugs come pre-gapped. Further adjusting the gap on iridium electrodes is not recommended since they're kinda fragile.

Some people want to use IK22 because somebody did a dyno before and said that IK22s give more power. I went with the OEM ones though, never had a problem with them so why not?

Old 05-15-2012, 04:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
Some people want to use IK22 because somebody did a dyno before and said that IK22s give more power. I went with the OEM ones though, never had a problem with them so why not?
What made you replace your spark plugs? Routine maintenance or something else?

I replaced spark plugs once... a LONG time ago on an '88 Acura Legend (15 years ago?). But I don't recall why I did it. I have this uneasy feeling that... I did it out of boredom. I know I replaced the rear speakers because the factory speakers were shredding itself apart (the cone material was falling apart).

I think... when it comes time to change the spark plugs on the Fit, I'll give the IK22s a try. If my "butt dyno" doesn't notice anything... back to OE on the next change.

edit... did a quick google on "when"... and got "Ideally, spark plugs in a car need replacement every 30,000 to 40,000 miles, depending on your car." Hum, if that's the case... I'm guessing my next MM interval is gonna have that show up. B14?

Last edited by Goobers; 05-15-2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
I replaced them during routine maintenance, at ~104k miles. Never touched them before that. The OEM spark plugs are "long life iridium" spark plugs. Their recommended change interval is 100k+ miles.

In my opinion, there's no need to replace long life plugs at 30k-40k miles. They're still perfectly fine and you'd just be throwing money away. I changed mine at 100k and felt absolutely no difference whatsoever. Fuel economy also didn't change.

Here are my factory spark plugs after ~104k miles:

Name:  0131121544-01.jpg
Views: 5935
Size:  255.3 KB

The third plug does look like it ran a little hotter than the other three, but nothing crazy. Other than that, just normal wear. It seems some owners have had issues with the third cylinder spark plug and coilpack - I don't know if this is why mine looked a little hot, but I'm not too worried because I thought it looked good for having been in there >100k miles.

Last edited by doctordoom; 05-15-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
I'm running Denso Iridium Racing IK01-24 in mine. The stock heat index is not applicable to my car due to the ECU reflash having altered fuel and ignition tables. Was running IK22, but moved another step as an NGK8 or Denso24 is recommended by J's for the flash I have installed. Iridium plugs come pre-gapped and should not be regapped even if the gap is not equivalent to the stock plug. For instance, the gap on the Denso stock Iridium Long life plug is 1.3mm or .05", the IK20 Iridium Power is gapped at 1.1mm (.04") and the IK22 at .8mm (.03"). They are set this way from the manufacturer and Denso states do not change the gap as they are set at optimum distance. My plugs come pre-gapped at .7mm (.027").

doctordoom, those plugs look like your engine is running optimal A/F and electrode still looks like it had plenty of life left.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
from Denso's global site

According to them, the replacement spark plugs for 2007, 08, 09 and 10 are all IK20L (For "Iridium Power" category anyway). DENSO SPARK PLUGS

The only thing about IK22 that I can say is... I've seen it mentioned on the forum. But I have no personal experience with it (good or bad).

As for NGK, the part number is IZFR6K13 (stock #6774)... according to their sitewhere is the spark plug (you'll have to input car info).

You should be able to find at least the NGK spark plugs at Autozone and similar shops.
Agree on this but could be best if you consult the dealer about it while the warranty isn't yet expired. I myself personally excluded platinum, due to my personal preference for either copper, or Iridium. Copper plugs are much cheaper but the performance goes to iridium wires.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:53 PM
You Made my Day!

Last night, while driving home, my check engine light, repair wrench light and oil % minder call came on in my 2007 Fit Sport. I took it to the dealer this morning and he told me the code A14 I could see in the maintenance minder indicated a new tune up, for which he wanted to charge me $160.00. I asked him what the tune up included and he said that it was spark plugs, but that they were really expensive Platinum ones. He further told me I needed a $400 service to the car, due to transmission fluid and (the car has 99,000 miles on it and I had it serviced at 69,000 miles).

Anyway, I told him to change the oil and let me check things out. As a result of your post I found the NGK plugs you mention, IZFR6K13, for $11 each and will put them in myself (found instructions on how to do it and it looks like like I can handle it). On the transmission fluid I am going to get a post out now to see if folks can help.

Anyway, I wanted to thank ther person who posted this, the responders and this whole forum for making my day. Any tips on the plugs are welcome and, if it's allowed, let me know your thoughts on the transmission fluid or any other necessary items at 99,000 miles).

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Goobers
from Denso's global site

As for NGK, the part number is IZFR6K13 (stock #6774)... according to their site (you'll have to input car info).