Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Question about Dastek Unichip Q+

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Question about Dastek Unichip Q+

I've seen a few posts here and there praising it for the gain, but my question is how to install it, if I buy it.

Keep in mind please, I've never done extensive wiring and would rather avoid cutting into my factory harness. Is it possible with one of these piggybacks to use some sort of adapter harness? Or could I solder it to an OBD2 plug to use it through the OBD2 port in the car?

Also, does it work like an AEM FIC/Apexi VAFC by just changing MAF voltage, or does it actually control fuel and ignition timing?

Old 06-28-2012, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Never mind, found some information on Google, just nothing Fit-specific... I guess my next question (because I hear opposing information) is whether the Q+ Unichip controls Automatics.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:17 PM
A friend of mine installed it in his AT civics, and he swore that the upshift are tighter and more responsive. But, as far as i know, the unichip does not control the auto transmission so it might be just placebo..

As for installation, Unichip has harnesses if you don't want to modify the original harness, but i do not know whether they have it for a fit. My question for you is whether you can set it up. As the unichip should be tuned directly on the car, preferably on dynos. it's not plug and play. In here (Jakarta) Unichips are very popular, due to major garages here support their tuning. They have a special program for tuning it, which i'm not sure you will get if you only buy the unichip as is. Unless you can ensure that you can have the tuning program, or somebody can tune it for you, I would say it will be useless. Greddy gave the tuning program along with their e-manage. But for the unichip you have to buy it for yourself, and with that comes the NDA agreement, and whatnot. That;s why only garages have them and not individual owner of the unichip. (At least that's how it goes in here)

But if you can get your hands on the tuning program, I highly recommend this piggyback. It virtually overrides all engine management. It can set up AFR, ignition timing, fuel trim, etc. It can have 5 different mapping for different situation or fuel used or valet mode, depending on how you set up the fuel management. And it can be expanded with additional module for throttle controllor, boost controller, rev limiter bypass, and i don't know whatelse... It's close to having a stand alone, but with all of your car's electronics working as OEM. And they're preety impressive. In my car, they result in around 8% improvement. On full stock car, you probably can get around 5%. The most impressive job i've seen is 50% improvement. That's right 50%!!! On a Toyota D4D turbo diesel. It runs for 100whp before the tune. and gave net results of 150whp when it's done. Torque runs above 370Nm. Provided that the owner bought the unichip type q+, the throttle controller, and the turbo module. but for $600 including tuning a 50% improvement is unheard of...

Last edited by kodok3ribu; 06-28-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
There's a few dyno shops around here, I will have to do some phone calls and see if they can tune the Unichip, but according to Unichip's website, the Q+ DOES do something for Automatic Transmissions, but it is not tuneable from what I understand. I planned on having it tuned on a dyno, but if worst came to worst, I would do a lot of research/reading and go to the track and tune it after a few passes and keep testing and tuning. I do like that it's expandable, though, and it's almost a tenth of the price of the AEM EMS-2.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by kurisux92
There's a few dyno shops around here, I will have to do some phone calls and see if they can tune the Unichip, but according to Unichip's website, the Q+ DOES do something for Automatic Transmissions, but it is not tuneable from what I understand. I planned on having it tuned on a dyno, but if worst came to worst, I would do a lot of research/reading and go to the track and tune it after a few passes and keep testing and tuning. I do like that it's expandable, though, and it's almost a tenth of the price of the AEM EMS-2.
Sorry, but how will you tune it? without the proper software from unichip i mean.