Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning
View Poll Results: What would you do if you had the money?
Short Ram intake.
28.28%
Cold air intake .
50.34%
Mass quantities of beer intake..
18.62%
I dont know what these are...
4.14%
Leave the poor little ol Fit alone..
8.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Cold Air-vs-Short Ram Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 02:39 AM
Banned
Lightbulb Cold Air-vs-Short Ram Intake

I have a B.O.M. Fit Sport Auto and so far all the cold air kits say Manual only
Is there that much of a difference in the two, does anyone know if this is because the Auto trans is in the way or is there another reason.
I wanted the manual but after I test drove the auto with the paddle shifters I was hooked now this is stopping me from "ricing out" my Fit.
Someone was trying to tell me the short ram was just as good and easier to install.
The only valid argument I agree with is that the Cold air is more of a rain and puddle risk causing the engine to take a drink because it's so low.
To sum it all up I love the Fujita Cold Air Intake Kit and would be installing it now if .....
1.It could be made to fit in an Auto Fit.
B.There was no huge risk of damaging my engine with the heavy rains we get on the Gulf,aka Ivan, Katrina and others.
Any info woud be more than appreciated...
these are my two choices I would like the Fujita But the Weapon R is cool too plus cheaper because its shorter and not as pretty installed.

Last edited by zonianjohn; 08-25-2006 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:30 AM
5 Year Member
If you have the $$ you might want to take a look at this one:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7393
it is a lot like the JDM "Last Station" intake which is reoprted to be the best for the Fit.
Otherwise I would wait a little while longer to see what else comes out. There should be more stuff for the AT Fit by the end of the year.

There is a lot of flaming debate about CAI vs. short ram and hot engine compartment air. I dunno what to think...

(sorry if I opened that can of worms!)

(Time to move the thread to the mods section?)

Old 08-25-2006, 06:55 AM
Banned
This is what I want "thanks.
How do you move a thread

Old 08-25-2006, 03:05 PM
In general, a CAI is going to get better gains than an SRI. Most SRIs pull air from within the engine bay, and when the engine warms up, the air warms up. Most CAIs will put the filter element outside of the engine bay, getting cooler air. CAIs usually cost a little more, tho.

CAI (and beer) FTW!!

Old 08-25-2006, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
heat soak ftl

Injen's new MR intake can convert from a CAI into a short ram. so have your cake...and eat it to.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:27 PM
cai will bring in denser air and you can generally expect a mid range gain. short rams are good for high end power but i wouldn't be too concerned with heat soak unless you plan on racing in a stop and go environment or drag racing.

and gofits info is correct about the injen. sorry no pics
http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com...il.php?ID=5428

the ajr intake is a honda veni replica intake
http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com...il.php?ID=4863
the honda veni intake is what is used on the j's racing fit.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:27 PM
btw i voted for beer

Old 08-25-2006, 05:29 PM
iwu
beer as well

Old 08-25-2006, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
actually this would be better suited in the Tuning & Modification section.

=)

Old 08-25-2006, 05:50 PM
Banned
Help me please

Originally Posted by dacalac
actually this would be better suited in the Tuning & Modification section.

=)
How do you move a thread please help if you dont like this discussion here

Old 08-25-2006, 06:12 PM
I'm going with the INJEN since you get best of both worlds, if we get a hurricane down here in FL again I'll just disconnect the cai portion throw on a walmart cone filter and evacuate when its all done, hook it back up...I was waiting on the TIR or debaiting on the last station, but as the other guy has found out the sensor location doesn't fit, and you have to make a modification so unless they fix that I'm not down with it.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member
Beer wtf!

you'll gain 93149399245 Hp with a beer induction system.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:54 PM
injen is a good choice, i've always liked their quality over aem due to my personal experiences.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:02 PM
pNz
5 Year Member
this car seems to do much better with SRI. weve seen a few CAI's for this car so far. They have all pulled maybe 6whp tops. SRI are all the craze for this car over in Japan, and AJR just reinforced that opinion with thier SRI. Which showed gains of up to 11whp and 17ft torque. that should be enough to convince anyone that if you going for perfomance for the fit its all about the SRI. i know for some itll be hard to break the old habit of the CAI though.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:07 PM
I still wanna see an A/F on that T1R intake, if you notice they had to move the IAT out of the intake itself and put it in a tube because it doesn't stretch over to the hole. a good a/f will make sure A. MPG stays up, and B. that your not leaning out the motor to much with the added air flow. Another reason I'm going Injen..the MR technology, they are tuning their intakes not only for HP and tq but for A/F, they just posted graphs of non MR intake vs MF intake on a fit and the a/f was super smooth on the MR intake.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
No matter what all intake pipes are going to heat soak. They all lead into the engine bay where all the heat is.
If you want a short ram because its cheap buy it. Then buy heat wrap, wrap that sucker. Or buy a cold air and heat wrap the pipe.

The only thing Id be worried about since you own an automatic is loosing down low power/torque. When I bought the K&N Typhoon intake for my moms tC (also automatic) it made it slower since the low end power was lost. The 60 foots got horrible and the car was slower at the track. From a roll the car screamed.
K&N started their dyno pulls above 3000rpms, slick bit***s. I didnt notice.

Last edited by claymore; 08-26-2006 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Banned
I neglected to mention

My Fit Is an automatic which I found out rules out the Fujita .
I do like the weaponR Secret Weapon S.R.I but I was also looking into a modular kit. Has anyone tried the modular intake sold at pep boys I think its made by K&N.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:18 AM
fujita makes a short ram btw

Old 09-05-2006, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
I have the Weapon R "Secret Weapon" Cone race filter! Nice filter!! Tested for the greatest flow! I swear by them!

Old 09-12-2006, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
I got the Hasafraker Stainless model... have welder will travel Since most of these CAI setups are $200+ I just got 2.5" stainless and put it together myself topped off with a K&N filter. I think my final tally was about $170 plus the satisfaction of doing it myself. I tucked the end inside the fender just like the couple others I've seen. It seems to work just fine, I might have to post a picture or two later.

Quick Reply: Cold Air-vs-Short Ram Intake