Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

gears get stuck

Old 11-08-2014, 04:03 AM
5 Year Member
gears get stuck

I have been driving my Fit alot lately, since its a beautiful weather out here in Bahrain, i call it the Turbo weather. But i notice when i drive hard and more thatn 20 mins, gettin into first gear is difficult. Seems like it does that when it gets hot, i dont know if its the oil im using but, it was really difficult to get it in gear. i actually have to turn off the engine and start up to put it in gear, with some difficulty.

could it be the fluid im using?

Old 11-08-2014, 06:41 AM
5 Year Member
I'm assuming you are driving a manual transmission Fit. If so, I would be looking at the clutch adjustment or fluid levels. It sounds like you are not completely disengaging the the clutch.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by n9cv
I'm assuming you are driving a manual transmission Fit. If so, I would be looking at the clutch adjustment or fluid levels. It sounds like you are not completely disengaging the the clutch.
yes its MT, It only does this when im driving for long and when im at signal and i put in 1st gear i really have to force it in. and i have the clutch all the way down

Old 11-08-2014, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
nobody has any info? what tranny oil to use or wat grade? anybody experience this on a 07 GD?

Old 11-09-2014, 05:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by azkikersfit
Yes its MT, It only does this when I'm driving for long and when I'm at signal and I put in 1st gear I really have to force it in. and I have the clutch all the way down.

My point it is that possibly the clutch is not completely disengaging.

That clutch is hydraulically operated. Check the fluid in the clutch master cylinder a fill to the max line with DOT 3 or DOT 4 as needed.

I would next check the clutch pedal height. I have a 2009 paper shop manual here. In section 12 it states that on a 2009 the top of the pedal is 150 mm (5.9 in) from the top of the pedal to the floor. If it is low the pedal height is adjustable.

I can not guarantee that a GD (2007 model) is the same measurement.

You might also want to bleed the fluid and replace it with new while you are there. It is a simple job and uses standard DOT3 or DOT 4 brake fluid.

I do not have a manual FIT so I have no personal experience with the MT. I did try to look up the correct manual trans fluid to use, but all I found was to use Honda MTF. It only takes 1.5 quarts to replace the fluid so why not jsut go to Honda and buy 2 quarts of the specified stuff.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
N9cv

thanks for the info, i appreciate it, I do not know if the DOT 3 0 Dot 4 would work, i remember using Honda MTF, alooong time ago. FYI i have clutchmaster stage 3 on it.
But the thing that gets me is that it works perfectly fine the first 20 to 30 mins, i can shift the lever in gear no probs. Its the long period of driving that causes it to be difficult. Any ways i will look into the fluids and pedal height(i doubt the latter though)

Old 11-09-2014, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
Do you understand that we are talking about 2 different fluids. DOT 3 and DOT 4 are for the clutch ONLY. Honda MTF goes in the transmission itself.

The clutchmaster should not have any bearing on this. The Clutchmaster is a heavier pressure plate, disk, and throwout bearing. I am discussing the Clutch pedal, master cylinder, and slave cylinder that presses on the throw out bearing.

I am not 100% positive that that is your problem. I am just guessing here. If this does not show anything and it has been awhile, I would drain and replace the trans fluid next.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Holy sh$#t !! no i didnt think u were talkin about 2 different fluids.
So how will i know what DOT to use on the clutch?? is there a certain type of brand?

Old 11-10-2014, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
The clutch is hydraulic and uses the same fluid for it's operation as the brakes use. Honda says DOT 3 brake fluid is fine for both. You can get DOT 3 just about anywhere. Walmart, any auto parts store, and maybe some gas stations. You do not need to worry about the brand.

The clutch reservoir should be mounted on the drivers side on the engine side of the firewall. The brake master cylinder is also near by. Both use DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid. DOT 3 and DOT 4 are compatible and can be mixed together.

DO NOT USE DOT5.

Again, I can not tell you exactly where the clutch master cylinder is because I have never worked on a MT Fit.

DOT 3 ad DOT 4 fluids are hygroscopic meaning that they absorb moisture out of the air over time. This is why brake fluid flushing is recommended. Most say every 3 years. I say 5 years is probably OK. I just finished a brake system flush on a car that had not been changed in 16 years. The old fluid came out pitch black and took me running almost 1/2 gallon of DOT 3 fluid through it to get all of the crud out. The same can happen in a hydraulic clutch since it uses the same fluid (DOT 3).

Old 11-10-2014, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
THANKS MAN!! I APPRECIATE THE EFFORT. i gonna work on that this week and get the fluids and see if it works. i dont think i have done any flush of some sort for the clutch or anything. i will take it to my mech to help me out.

thanks