Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

B16/17/18 swaps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
B16/17/18 swaps?

I know when it comes to swapping engines in and out of the Fit, the only one I ever hear anyone talking about is the K20, but that damn motor is going to be expensive as h3ll. So, I was curious about maybe doing a swap thats alot cheaper but still gives good gains. I know the ZC motors or D16A motors are good because I had a D16Z6 in my CRX and with just bolt ons and cams I was making around 145whp. I know for a fact you can get those motors really really cheap. So that might be a better option for someone looking to make good power without blowing 6-8k on a K20. Or maybe even just do a B16 swap? Anyway, if anyone knows about, or has heard anything about other possible motor swaps lets hear it.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:36 AM
B16Can be swapped in, there was one of a pic on here (it was also turbo'd), however you should check you local or state laws to make sure taht doing such a swap to a older motor is allowed or your not going to pass emissions. I would stay away from the older DOHC ZC'S and D16's, if your going to swap to another single cammer then go with a R18, however K20's are becoming very common to see being sold now-a-days since they come in almost every honda, which means they are not as expnsive as you may think, even www.passwordjdm.com had one for sale on there recently which was a JDM K20, it was only listed at $1,600.00, which i'd call a deal personally

Old 10-08-2006, 11:51 AM
if you want to pass most state emissions you are going to need an OBD-2 setup.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
not always true. I know the california law states that the engine you swap in your car cannot be older then the year of the car (ex: 1999 honda civic SI with a b18c from a 1996 integra gsr) and yes all functions do have to work (obd2) and it also must pass a visual inspection and everything must look OEM (if you have any silicone hoses that doesn't look oem, they won't pass you...trust me, learn from my mistakes). When you do pass tho your car is legally driveable with the engine and they also give you a new BAR sticker and bar code which the adhere onto ur door sill.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Engine swap plus parts

Have fun researching engine swaps.

Some info about B engines
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B_engine

Quote:
The B-series engine fits nicely under the hood of many Civics, a common target for such swaps. Note that the actual B-series engine will not adapt to the transaxle that came with other engine models, therefore the entire powertrain, i.e. engine and transaxle, must be swapped as a unit; normally, however, the entire powertrain is what is meant when "engine" swaps or availability of used "engines" is discussed with respect to front wheel drive cars.
Note that the ECU (engine computer) must be swapped as well. Aftermarket modified ECUs are available, ranging from close to stock B-series to wildly modified, with various degrees of skill. If a VTEC engine is to be installed in a car which did not have a VTEC engine, then additional wiring for the VTEC will have to be run; a minor chore.
The B-Series engine swap is very popular for 1992 through 1995 Civic owners since it is so easy to perform. The B-series engine was available in the United States 1994 Civic-based Del Sol; therefore the stock Honda motor mounts, axles, transmission linkage, and other auxiliary parts on the B-series engine (as well as the ECU, of course) will adapt it to any Civic of that era. Some swaps such as the B20B from the CRV are hard to perform due to the CRV's transmission not fitting therefore the need of a piecing together a transmission. The corresponding parts that came with the stock SOHC D-series engines will not fit the B-series, however. Unfortunately, most of the available engines are removed from the car without any of these parts, and often even the wiring harness has been destroyed, so the parts have to obtained by either scouring junkyards or purchased from Honda at substantial expense. If at all possible, an engine with a complete set of these parts is greatly to be desired over just the engine itself for this kind of swap.

-------------
So Engine swap plus ECU, transaxle, wiring harness, etc.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
well, its good to know that K20s are alot cheaper. I forgot about the laws, that the engine has to be newer than the one that came with the car. I just moved to Texas and I dont really remember how everything works here. I know in California, where I just came from, its a nightmare to do just about anything.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
King motorsports is putting a K24 in a fit for SEMA.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
isn't the B18 relatively heavy compared to the K20 and L15?
I just want a target 170hp...I feel that would be perfect for the fit...imo.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by GoFits
isn't the B18 relatively heavy compared to the K20 and L15?
I just want a target 170hp...I feel that would be perfect for the fit...imo.
the b series are only 600-700 pounds, lighter than a K, but i dont know about the L15. if the B series were the same year as the fits i would consider putting one in my fit, it's perfect imo too

Old 10-09-2006, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by quangalang
the b series are only 600-700 pounds, lighter than a K, but i dont know about the L15. if the B series were the same year as the fits i would consider putting one in my fit, it's perfect imo too
Did you mean 60-70 lbs lighter or have you lifted some heavy ass motors, cause i know a B18 does't even weight 600-700 lbs.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
I don't see the reason to go back to B-series. You have a new car, but you put an old engine it... Doesen't sound right. Like a CRX with a K20. They put that engine for a reason. At least if you swap, get something new, rather than downgrading. IMO

Old 10-09-2006, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
Well people put 350cc V8's in practically everything nowadays...that's not a new engine...same design being used for the past..XXyears.
With Hondas I think og the K2X and B1X engins as our 350's and 427's...

edit* nvrmnd previous quote

Old 10-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Tomh
Did you mean 60-70 lbs lighter or have you lifted some heavy ass motors, cause i know a B18 does't even weight 600-700 lbs.
i meant the b series weighs less than the k series. i didnt mean they were 600 pounds lighter, but youre right the engine and tranny only weighs about 300-400 lbs when my friend ordered his motor he got a bunch of stuff with it so the shipping weight was closer to 600 lbs

Last edited by quangalang; 10-09-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
King motorsports is putting a K24 in a fit for SEMA.
Thats what my plans were. The engine is cheaper and all thats needed is the Type-S head. You got yourself some GOOD power, ohh and that thing called torque.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I just hope that this isnt some 8k+ swap. I wanna see how much it will cost, completely. From buying the engine/tranny, etc to having installed, to driving it out the door.

I just got out of having a 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, and the big thing for them is swapping the VQ35DE from a maxima/altima. It costs about 5k-7k depending on what you want, etc. So I would hope that swapping a K20/24 wouldnt cost that much.

My last concern is emissions. If someone were gonna buy a K20/24 would it be a USDM engine or JDM? Because then you have to buy all the emissions crap separately if you buy the JDM version. I just dont wanna worry about emissions.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 07TaffetaFit
Yeah I just hope that this isnt some 8k+ swap. I wanna see how much it will cost, completely. From buying the engine/tranny, etc to having installed, to driving it out the door.

I just got out of having a 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, and the big thing for them is swapping the VQ35DE from a maxima/altima. It costs about 5k-7k depending on what you want, etc. So I would hope that swapping a K20/24 wouldnt cost that much.

My last concern is emissions. If someone were gonna buy a K20/24 would it be a USDM engine or JDM? Because then you have to buy all the emissions crap separately if you buy the JDM version. I just dont wanna worry about emissions.
As long as you have a cat, one muffler, aren't throwing a CEL...you'll pass emissions in Texas. I can't see why a K20 would fail emissions....Owwww that K20 cat's gonna be expensive....

Old 10-11-2006, 06:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoFits
Well people put 350cc V8's in practically everything nowadays...that's not a new engine...same design being used for the past..XXyears.
With Hondas I think og the K2X and B1X engins as our 350's and 427's...

edit* nvrmnd previous quote
Well ya true, but that's why it's with the V8s. But anyway if that's what you wanna roll with, then by all means go.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Please please..this is all theory and speculation.
I'd much rather save up for an S2000 B4 I'd, personally, dream of droping a K20 into the poor little Fit...
Originally Posted by Jazz it up!
Well ya true, but that's why it's with the V8s. But anyway if that's what you wanna roll with, then by all means go.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
This is the age old argument. "Why not just save up and buy a _________." And to answer your question...some people dont want a 450+ monthly payment, or just simply cant get financed for something like that. Its alot easier to buy something cheap with a small monthly payment, and then...as you save a little money here and there, modify if however you choose. I mean, do you honestly think anyone goes out to buy a Fit and says, "Hmmmm what a sports car..." No, but you buy what you can afford and then have fun with it. I wish I could go buy a new 2007 Mustang Shelby GT500 but I dont have 50k to drop on one...

Old 10-11-2006, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 07TaffetaFit
This is the age old argument. "Why not just save up and buy a _________." And to answer your question...some people dont want a 450+ monthly payment, or just simply cant get financed for something like that. Its alot easier to buy something cheap with a small monthly payment, and then...as you save a little money here and there, modify if however you choose. I mean, do you honestly think anyone goes out to buy a Fit and says, "Hmmmm what a sports car..." No, but you buy what you can afford and then have fun with it. I wish I could go buy a new 2007 Mustang Shelby GT500 but I dont have 50k to drop on one...
Then you're pretty much saying WHAT I JUST SAID!...why buy a Fit and try to turn it into something it's not? Swapping an engine is a royal pain in the butt. Getting it to run right is goingto cost an arm and a leg...estimates are around what $7-$8K...WOW.
You can pick up a 2000 model year Miata for that price...yeah yeah. I know "BUT I LIKE MY FIT"...then enjoy it.
I love mine...sure I'll modify it and replace things here and there to personalize it...but there's a fine line between a car enthusiast and a crack addict...you just gotta know where to stop.

Quick Reply: B16/17/18 swaps?