Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

OE Sport Spoiler on Base model Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:24 AM
OE Sport Spoiler on Base model Install

OK I just finished this and it wasn't as hard as expected.. Anyone interested - read on..

Ended up getting a great deal from a fellow fit-freak member on his OE Sport spoiler - same color but no bolts/hardware. Got it today and it was in great shape.
1) Get a dremmel with a cutting wheel that can cut thru steel and dremmel off the 3 center-studs on the OE spoiler. I put some painter's tape all over to make sure I didn't scuff up the surrounding areas. Get a REAL dremmel - I had the small 4.8v rechargable one from Walmart and I had to charge the battery TWICE to get thru the 3 studs.. Very frustrating... 2) Once done, I lined up the spoiler and placed 3 strips of painters tape to hold the spoiler to the roof and centered it. 3) Once centered, center-punched hatch-area where the mounting holes were to be drilled. 4) Removed spoiler from car and drilled the 2 holes. I started off with a 7/16bit then progressed to a 1/4in hole. Make sure you mask the area for any metal shavings. take your time. Each time too many shavings appeared - I used some painters tape to sticky-pick-up the shavings and started again. You need to remember to remove the 2 rubber grommets (one on each side) on the top-underside of the hatch. Drivers side = has wiring running thru it. Pass side = nothing. Make sure on the drivers side you move any wiring/washer-hose out of the way prior to drilling. You'll be able to tell where it'll push thru as you'll feel the dimple from the center-punch.5) Opened hatch and layed spoiler across to line-up bolt holes. I lined the front side of the spoiler with 3m molding tape and peeled a small area off and taped it so I could peel it back once the spoiler was on. 6) Used a 1/4X3/4 bolt with a large top-washer. Fed it thru the hole. Peek thru the grommet hole and you'll see where your bolt is. Got a nylon-self locking nut and taped it to my pointer finger. I did this as no way you're going to fit TWO fingers into that grommet hole. I taped it so that I could start-threading on the nut/bolt. Once it started - I pulled my finger out with the tape. Sounds funny but it worked like a charm! 7) tightened both bolts on each side snugly - just enough so that you can adjust it a little - center it up and pulled back the red-layer of the 3m tape. 8) Apply pressure to the front of the spoiler then opened up hatch to tighten down the bolts a final time. Not too tight! 9) reinstalled grommets and closed hatch. 10) Made some reference marks on the top-bolt-heads to make sure I could tell if the bolt was moving/loosening up later on down the road. snapped the bolt-covers on and all-pau.

Wiped down the rear with a microfiber towel and polished up. MAN does the spoiler make a difference on how this baby looks. Also got some 15x7 Maxxim Screech's with the black inset + polished lip... Aaahhhhh. All done.. Hope you found this helpful - let me know if I can be of assistance.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Funny 'cause I love how the Fit looks without the spoiler, but that may be in part to that I have the Sport model so with the lip kits it doesn't look so bland.

Nice write up though!

Old 09-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Getting ready to do the same thing with a used spoiler. Any pics before during or after.

tomsandys@zoominternet.net

Tom

Old 09-05-2008, 05:13 PM
do you have the lip kit? or did you install spoiler not having the kit... i'd like to see some pix as well.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:12 PM
I talked to the dealer today (parts person) their is not kit for the spoiler, the hatch is a different part number. The plastic inserts are available but the metal nutsert / rivnuts are not available (the one at each end of the hatch for bolting down the spoiler).
I think I can do what is described above with a locknut, I might get the plastic inserts too while Im at it.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sprint7677
I talked to the dealer today (parts person) their is not kit for the spoiler, the hatch is a different part number. The plastic inserts are available but the metal nutsert / rivnuts are not available (the one at each end of the hatch for bolting down the spoiler).
I think I can do what is described above with a locknut, I might get the plastic inserts too while Im at it.

i hope the install goes well. thanks again for buying the spoiler

Old 09-05-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm sure it will and thanks for all your info and help. I'll take pics when I do it