Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

Headlight eyelids!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:04 AM
Originally Posted by jeimusu86
(disclaimer * im not responsible if u mess up your paint job its up to you to do it properly)

hey if ur going to paint them make sure ur painting them with very light coats and from about 1 ft distance, if u spray too close u might get globs of paint, and if u put heavy coats u get the risk of getting runs in the paint, also have a steady hand go only one way,

the first step is to spray primer on, make sure ur spraying from a 1 foot distance, and apply light coats, after the first coat, its okay if it looks like tiny spray marks, wait for 15 minutes, and spray a light coat again

second step is wait for another 15 minutes and see if you have any imperfections, now is a good time to wet sand (1000 grit paper or the least rigid sand paper ur autozone has) the imperfections, be very gentle, it'll crack easily if ur abusive with the sand paper, if u dont have any small imperfections skip to step 3

step 3 is apply the basecoat color of ur vehicle, again spray a light coat going in one direction, it'll look like mist on the eyelid dont worry about it, wait for another 15 minutes to dry the paint, and apply another coat of basecoat paint, but this time going the reverse direction that you had painted for the first coat, wait another 15 minutes and let it dry

step 4 apply the clear coat paint as i had described in step 3, but apply about 3-4 coats waiting for 15 minutes to dry for each coat

step 5 apply rubbing compound, to get ur shine on, use a fine wash cloth that is soft and not rough or rigid material, or you will mess up ur paint job
thanks dude this is really helpful, i actually got carried away i just sprayed a heavy coat the first time so i really fu**d it up. as for getting it done professionaly, well i already forked out $50 on paint and all so idk if i want to mess up again and lose another 50.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:59 AM
anyone knows where to get eyelids for the JDM headlight?

Old 05-16-2009, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
Got mine from ebay. Just do a search for "honda fit eyelids."

I painted and installed mine. Unfortunately, my paint job was horrible--eyelids were darker than body color. It looked too "ricey" (cartoony) to me after I put 'em on. Took 'em off after 2 days.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Yeah you have to color match them to the car perfectly or they stand out like a sore thumb.

I had mine professionally painted to the exact car code, was the same cost as the eyelids + shipping.

What I didn't like about them was they seemed porous and bumpy because of the material. After waxing them with the car a few times it got rid of that and now people don't even notice it isn't stock.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:19 AM
I finally painted mine and they look just fine. I might get sick of them, and I couldn't peel all the red tape off, maybe half on both sides. I suck at life: