Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

Yes I am stupid and backed into something. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member
Yes I am stupid and backed into something. Help?

Ok guys I need your help with something, a couple of months ago I was leaving for work I pulled out of my drive way and realized I left my phone back in the house, so I reversed back into the driveway and BANG! Lucky, me I backed into the camper shell that we have putting a nice 1.5 inch crease in my hatch, I was pissed off for the next three days... anyway I've heard a lot of people say when ever they get a dent or scratch somewhere on their car they just put some kind of sticker it to cover it up, does anyone have any experience or suggestions? So heres a pic let me know what you think and feel free to tell me that I'm stupid, for putting this nice dent in my car.

Any suggestions for a sticker to cover that up?

Last edited by El Chupacabura; 09-28-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member

Old 09-28-2009, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers

oh wow lmfao!

OT: i say fix it! stickers fall off anyways

Old 09-28-2009, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
^ I think I would have to have the whole hatch replaced, it would be pretty hard to just "knock out" because it is such a thin crease, probably .5 in wide. I might have to see if can make that one with a band-aid and a sharpie...

Old 09-28-2009, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
Bummer that you dinged your hatch, but look at the bright side. Its time for a CF hatch.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Not bad take the interior plastic pannel out and see what ya got. Someone said the metal is thin gauge which in this case you may be able to CAREFULLY press it back out for the most part. A couple of flat surface dollies might help,or a tee handled dent puller(my choose looking at the dent) dout you can get a hammer in there. Anyway get as much of the dent back out, then grind & fill with body filler.To get the body line straight, as your block sanding and yr close to straight, run a peice of masking tape from were the line is not damaged over the filler and block sand up to the tape just as the tape is getting sanded stop. Reverse the tape line to the bottom of the bodyline and block sand down to the tape line. This is a good way to get ya really close. block sand filler to 120 grit and prime. At this point you should be close to straight look from side to side, open the hatch and look across the area to make sure the body line is where it should be, keep doing this a few times changing the grit of the paper 120to 180 to 220, after that wet sand with 400. At this point you should not see anything but a straight pannel. I always see (with the palm of my hand) that there is No hi / low spots. I been doing this for 35 years and it started with my 1st stupid dent. The best advise I can give is to realy want to do this if not take it to a shop. If you do the B.W. yourself post me back and we can go over painting with BCCC (base.coat.clear.coat) HVLP
Good Luck .............

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 10-04-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
^ I think i'll have to try that. I have another scratch I am gong to fix myself soon, so I might as well try to fix this while I'm at it. I think I have some body filler left over from the baja bug my dad and I are restoring.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Sorry about the ding those are never fun. Hope you can get it popped out and if not try E-bay for a ton of Honda type items that could possibly cover it up. I agree with the CF hatch - that would look good and solve your problem.

Cat :x

Old 10-05-2009, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
dont you just hate it when youre in a rush for something and become careless and endup hitting soemthing. happened to me and my fu*ken rim. gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
Not bad take the interior plastic pannel out and see what ya got. Someone said the metal is thin gauge which in this case you may be able to CAREFULLY press it back out for the most part. A couple of flat surface dollies might help,or a tee handled dent puller(my choose looking at the dent) dout you can get a hammer in there. Anyway get as much of the dent back out, then grind & fill with body filler.To get the body line straight, as your block sanding and yr close to straight, run a peice of masking tape from were the line is not damaged over the filler and block sand up to the tape just as the tape is getting sanded stop. Reverse the tape line to the bottom of the bodyline and block sand down to the tape line. This is a good way to get ya really close. block sand filler to 120 grit and prime. At this point you should be close to straight look from side to side, open the hatch and look across the area to make sure the body line is where it should be, keep doing this a few times changing the grit of the paper 120to 180 to 220, after that wet sand with 400. At this point you should not see anything but a straight pannel. I always see (with the palm of my hand) that there is No hi / low spots. I been doing this for 35 years and it started with my 1st stupid dent. The best advise I can give is to realy want to do this if not take it to a shop. If you do the B.W. yourself post me back and we can go over painting with BCCC (base.coat.clear.coat) HVLP
Good Luck .............
he's definitely right, and a shop could repair this no problem. i had a shop fix up my bumper after a semi raped the side of it, it's pretty amazing what can be fixed. if you don't do it yourself take it to a few shops and ask for a quote.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kingsize
dont you just hate it when youre in a rush for something and become careless and endup hitting soemthing. happened to me and my fu*ken rim. gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
Yeah I did the same thing to my rim, nice 1" scratch on it along with a 2.5" scratch on the front passenger side of the lip, except I have a good reason for these scratches, some a-hole in a UPS truck wasn't watching where he was going and had to try and partially climb a curb to avoid getting killed .