Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

Are Carbon Fiber imperfections normal/common?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Question Are Carbon Fiber imperfections normal/common?

I'll try to post photos later, but thought I'd throw this out there anyway:

So I've had this Seibon Carbon Fiber (OEM-style) hood for a few weeks now, and I love the look of it on my Blaze Orange Fit. With the tint, it looks really sharp.

There's only one thing: the "weave" of the carbon fiber shows some imperfections. You can see a few areas where the carbon fiber didn't align perfectly with the rest of it. All of a sudden, I feel stupid for writing this without photos. I'll take some and post them tomorrow, when there's light.

Now this might be just a normal carbon-fiber thing. It's not immediately apparent... more when the sun is shining brightly and you see it from an angle. It might also be a normal quality-control issue for Seibon. I dunno. That's why I'm asking.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-02-2006, 08:05 AM
5 Year Member
id say normal. there are almost always flaws in the weave. everything looks better in pictures

Old 11-02-2006, 09:10 AM
It's very common - although I've seen a lot of perfect cf stuff.

The process for laying cf makes it very easy to have imperfections.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:32 PM
All carbon fiber products are hand laid...therefore this is a normal thing...

Old 11-13-2006, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
its a pretty normal thing. seibon has probably the best quality out there for the general public. other manufacturers i had to drop, due to obvious imperfections, but those companies i will not name.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:46 AM
I used to love carbon fiber stuff but ever since I tried them on my black fit, I hated it. Fitment was awful and the weave was just plain ugly. It made it look dirty and cheap... That's just for black though

Old 11-14-2006, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
i would say its common.. won say its normal.

it really depends on the quality of the product, workmanship and how its made. im lucky enuf to obtain my cf stuff in perfect waves and fitment. having said tat, i've seen plenty of horrible built quality tats simply unacceptable.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by kyeguy82
its a pretty normal thing. seibon has probably the best quality out there for the general public. other manufacturers i had to drop, due to obvious imperfections, but those companies i will not name.
I will VIS, Carbon Creations, etc.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Jo2
from seibon? sure. You get what you paid for when it's not super expensive jdm dry carbon. I'm sure the hood was a good deal though, so some slight imperfections are to be expected.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Retired Moderator
BTW, should you take your CF Hood to get extra coats of clear after you pick it up? Does the clearcoat on these hoods fade quite fast?

Old 01-17-2007, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
yea, you will truely get what you pay for, especially when it comes to hand laid cf pieces...just getting the stock sport pieces wrapped in cf costs around $1K, but thats practically flawless. think of it this way, the more you pay, the less flaws you should expect to see.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive
BTW, should you take your CF Hood to get extra coats of clear after you pick it up? Does the clearcoat on these hoods fade quite fast?
I would stick with whatever the hood came with. Adding another layer of clear coat always increases the chances of getting particles stuck in your new coat. I think what Seibon recommends as far as care for your hood goes is Mothers wax. But, the thought of adding another coat, does sound interesting. You should try emailing the customer service center at Seibon, they're pretty helpful.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by Adrenergic1
yea, you will truely get what you pay for, especially when it comes to hand laid cf pieces...just getting the stock sport pieces wrapped in cf costs around $1K, but thats practically flawless. think of it this way, the more you pay, the less flaws you should expect to see.
Exactly, you get what you pay for

Old 03-12-2007, 08:29 PM
good quality carbon fiber has minimal blemishes. Varis, Benetic, Amuse, ASM, First Molding...you get what you pay for. Seibon is cheap and personally I think their carbon quality is poor, but I have a different point of view and experience then most people.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Banned
Fiber Images had mediocre quality. As did Seibon. YOU NEED TO RE-CLEAR IT! My Seibon faded and yellowed after just 7 months of whatever clear they used.

I LOVE ME some carbon fiber...But as John from BP put it, well, they deal with high end stuff...so yes, the carbon they sell is of better quality.

By the way...I am thinking that high end from Bulletproof could also be synonymous with Japan. I think that a 3" exhaust is a 3" exhaust...But the quality and effort is bar none. American companies want to make a buck. Japan seems to enjoy the lifestyle moreso than just getting paid.

Sorry for my little speech. For 10 years it was Mopar for me until I bought my Evo and noticed the quality...Now the Fit..As inexpensive as it is, it is still a great car.

kris