Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

2018 Splash Shield/Engine Cover Dropped

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 08:40 PM
2018 Splash Shield/Engine Cover Dropped

I'm new to FitFreak; this is my first post. I had a 2013 Fit Sport and loved it. I've had a 2018 EX-L since November of 2018 and like it a lot, too!

I read through several threads about splash shield problems, but I didn't see my question/problem. If I missed it, please bear with me.

I was driving on the freeway and heard a loud rat-a-tat-tat sound for a half mile or so. I slowed down and began to exit when the sound stopped. Neither my wife or I saw anything in the road that we could have run over. When we got into town and drove slowly, I heard a scraping sound. After stopping, I looked and saw the shield barely hanging on. A friend got on the ground and removed two screws to release the shield completely. (I haven't looked under the car myself yet.)

There is a lip at one end of the shield, but I don't know if it slips under something to help hold the shield in place. I'm sure there should be many more screws and/or clips holding the shield in place, right? There is about a 3-inch tear in the plastic at one corner where it looks like a square-headed pin may go.

Does this shield need to be removed to drain the oil? (I had my first oil change done four months ago.) If so, I suppose it's possible/likely the garage didn't put the shield back properly or use new/good pins to do it.

I think I can repair the torn place by sewing it together with wire, buy some new pins, and also use wire-ties to secure the shield in place. Do you agree?

I'm curious about the configuration of this shield; Amazon tells me that a shield for the "3rd generation (2015 plus)" Fit won't fit my 2018. Is that your belief, too?

Thanks for your help!

Jim

I tried to post a photo of my shield, but I couldn't find the toolbars I needed.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/134/nRkgkE.jpg

Old 08-20-2019, 03:02 AM
Hello! I had some issues with my splash shield after it wasn’t installed back correctly, anywho. Before I decided to rip the shield out I used zip ties to align the shield back in place

Old 08-30-2019, 05:43 PM
Ran into the same issue on my '17. Your screen looks to be the same part, I think this is an error on Amazon's end, it should fit.
These things are notorious for having screws come loose.

The lip (at the top of your picture) slips under the plastic part a bit further forward on the underside of the vehicle, and there should be a total of 6 pins holding it in place.

The three slots on the left, as well as your torn one, are secured with screws and clips

Screws:
Amazon Amazon

Clips:
Amazon Amazon

The two at the bottom on either side of the semi circle cutout are, I believe, the push pins.
Amazon Amazon

Judging by the straight tear, it looks like this was caused by multiple heavy impacts, but it should be fixable with some industrial adhesive.
As for screws coming loose, I added a bit of blue medium threadlocker when mine fell off and haven't had an issue since.

E

Last edited by Excellector; 08-30-2019 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Formatting