Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

In search of the elusive manual Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 05:34 PM
In search of the elusive manual Fit

Hello,

Paul from VA here.
Been looking at getting a new car to replace my aging Eagle(don't even think about touching a Chrysler, they can't make transmissions) and really liked the versatility and economy of the Fit.

Anyways according to the dealers that I have been talking to no one is going to see a stick shift till about september. Is it just the locality(being near DC) that makes these so scarce, or is no one buying them?

Anyways Cheers, looks like a fun group ya got here!

Old 06-14-2006, 10:56 PM
it's partly your locale, and also the fact that Honda only wants to make 15% of their cars as m/t

Old 06-16-2006, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
wow then i got lucky!

I got my M/T 4/28 On Long Island! VBP '07 Sport! M/T!

Old 06-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by ManassasPaul
(don't even think about touching a Chrysler, they can't make transmissions)
Ain't that the truth.

Dropped the tranny out of my v6 Dodge Shadow (Yes, they made a v6) twice. The second time I just left it in Topeka, KS where it dropped and donated it to the first charity that said they'd tow it themselves.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:03 AM
Talking Found it!!

Well I just did the paperwork on the MT Fit which should be in the dealership early/mid August. Got the orange Sport.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by ManassasPaul
Well I just did the paperwork on the MT Fit which should be in the dealership early/mid August. Got the orange Sport.
Wow! They told you early/mid August...I hope mine comes that early too! I just ordered my MT sport about a couple weeks ago.

Good luck!

Old 07-18-2006, 12:36 AM
Best of luck to you.

Also I didn't really order the Fit, I just asked them to keep an eye out for a manual sport in anything but black.

I got the call that an orange sport was coming in and I ran over after work and did all the paperwork, and I do have the VIN# and was told that it's being built and should be here in about 3 weeks.

From what I have heard on the board, it may already be in transit as I am not sure at which stage of the game the dealer is issued the VIN numbers.

Now I just have to wait.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
A manual sport fit congratulations. I think the manuals will be more popular when it becomes repair time. I beleive in Honda engineering however, I dont expect any automatics by any car companies to do as well as manuals. The transmissions are I beleive the most neglected part of a car.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the reply BigFit!

Just out of curiousity, do you double clutch to save wear and tear on the synchros and clutch, or let the engine rev down between gears?

Main reason I am asking is my other stick vehicle is an '83 F-150 w/ a 300 I-6, and a 4speed with 1st as a non synchro'd granny gear, and its one of those where it'll grind if you upshift into 2nd too fast(2nd gear syncho might be getting along in age). I tend shift gently and let the engine rev down before engaging.

I guess the question is that driving my Fit that gently would be overkill? I'm used to shifting like its a truck not a racer

Note that I have not driven a manual fit yet, but I did have fun in the auto on the test drive.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
YOu are getting a state of the art Manual Transmission! The shifting is SUPER EASY! meaning since the drive-by-wire controlled throttle body by the computer of the car, it knows you are a manual trans and the rpms feather down slower than a cable when you let go of the throttle pedal! So rev matching is easy and smooth!!

Enjoy, I am!

Old 07-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
got a MT fit here. my local dealership only got one a month for the first 4 months, and only one of those being a MT. so i guess i lucked out as well. i've never heard the 15% thing. thats low as H3LL. my other car wasn't even offered in auto....

Old 07-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Cool, I just spoke with the dealer, and it looks like the car is built and will be shipping from Japan in the next few days. The sales manager said that if all the winds blow just right, it'll get here by the end of this month. I had expected the middle of August, but a few weeks early won't hurt.

Man!! All this talk is just making me even more impatient!

Well, might as well start throwing some words at the other forums.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Don't worry, you are getting the best car for your $ with the Honda FIt!

Old 07-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Revs,
Congrats on the Fit! How's the driving so far? How long have ya had it?

Old 07-19-2006, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
MANASSASPAUL I try to shift gently. I think double shifting for the fit is overkill. I am still learning how to slip it in gear easy everytime.
Believe it or not I think riding road bicycle has helped my shifting for cars. For one summer I road once a week with a budy who is a triathalete and an excellent bicyclist. Shifting down hills and up them and knowing when to stand up on The bike was one of his basic lessons for me. When riding you feel what is efficient and not because you are the motor and you learn to capitalize on the gears. what kind of mats did you buy. If you get the nonhonda ones dont let it get under the clutch pedal and you will do much better since the clutch wont be cheated from the chance to go completly to the floor thus not fully ingaging the clutch. you probly are two steps ahead on that idea right? take care it time to cut the long letter oh congratulations and post pictures when you get your Fit