Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Considering a 2007 Fit - Test Drive Tonight!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Considering a 2007 Fit - Test Drive Tonight!!

Hey guys/gals,
First post here.

I'm considering a 2007 fit (60k'ish on the odo).

It looks like a fantastic forum here - It's something that's very important to me as I like and enjoy doing the majority of the work on my own vehicles and rely on a good network of knowledgeable techs out there.

I have owned two honda's before ('01 Odyssey & an '03 Element) and have had mixed luck with them both. The Element I loved and it was an outstanding car - the Odyssey....wasn't worth the powder it would take to blow it up. I am strongly considering another Element as well because I have a comfort level there - as well as a rockin' forum of Element grease monkeys to go along with it.

I like the fact that the Fit has a chain vs a belt, decent fuel ecconomy, well thought out interior etc.

What are some common issues that I can be on the look out for when I take a test drive tonight?
- i've heard of dash rattles
- gear rattles? (or only in a standard 5spd?)
- leaking windshields
- ??

Things that kind of concern me is that i've had a HORRIBLE string of luck with bad transmissions over the past several years. So, i'd like something with a bullet proof drivetrain and don't have as much concern with interior or cosmetic type issues.

The 'Sport' package (while neat/appealing in theory) kind of makes me nervous as it's a bit outside of the mainstream with paddle shifters etc. It's just now what i'm used to.

Do I need to be concerned with this - or am I being unreasonable?

Thanks so much for any input you can give!

Andy

Old 07-20-2012, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
Hi and welcome to FF.If you buy the FIT remember upload some pix my friend.Again welcome and take care.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Hi Storm,
Thanks for the response.

Yes, so I test drove it - and it was....well, un-bad (?) experience.
The car had 66k on it (asking imho a high $9,900) for a car that didn't have any service records, bald front tires, dirty, dings etc. The seller was overall very flighty and unkept and I deducted that the vehicle was probably kept in a similar fashion.

It was my first time driving a fit - and I liked it adequately well, but not at the price - and the seller wasn't willing to budge an inch - as she needed to pay off the car to backpack through Europe, and live in a farming commune (no, i'm not kidding).

We're still looking and are strongly considering either another Element or Rav4 (maybe CRV, but only because it's got the same drivetrain as the element)

Old 07-20-2012, 11:03 AM
The Fit and Elephant are two very different cars, what made you consider the Fit?

Prior to my Fit I had an Element, sometimes I do miss all the cargo room, but that's about all I miss about it. Fit has quite a bit of cargo room, but I have a 2010, the older models are much smaller. Is a 09' + Fit out of your price range?

Old 07-21-2012, 12:22 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
The Fit is affordable for a reason. Dash rattle is a hit or miss and road noise is a little loud. I'm at 80,000 miles and I still love looking at it everytime I walk up to it. If you like the Fit then maybe look for one at a different dealer. It's better to not have a bad experience. Cargo room is awesome for its size and way more fun to drive than an Element

Old 07-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Hey there,
Thanks for the responses!

So the wife and I ended up with a 2003 Rav4 with 90k miles on it.

We're really happy with the choice as it still allows for some cargo and decent mpg etc. It's right in the pocket as far as size vs utility IMHO.

Thank you all for the great resource and friendly welcome.

Andy

Old 07-22-2012, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry the 2007 Fit did not work out. The Fit has a great resale value maybe more with gas going back up. But not if it is not kept up, needs tires and the body has dings. I always wanted the GD3 even today when I see one I kind of wish I brought one. Seems there is more aftermarket items for the car versus the GE8.

I also had a 2003 Element when they first came out love that vehicle but had to get rid of it only after one year. Glad you found what you wanted Good luck.