Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

How much can I tow and how to install a roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 11:08 PM
How much can I tow and how to install a roof rack

Anyone know the general amount I can tow on my fit? Also anyone ever install a roof rack? I am trying to drive across country and looking for my best options.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:47 PM
If you ask Honda USA, they'll tell you that you shouldn't tow anything. That's rather a lowball estimate.

If you check any of the aftermarket hitches available, I believe you'll find they're not rated for more than 2000 pounds trailer weight and 200 pounds tongue weight. That would be a high estimate of what might be reasonable. Overstressing the hitch is neither a safe nor a wise thing to do.

I would not feel comfortable myself towing more than around 1000 pounds, particularly for a long-distance trip. With an automatic transmission, I'd probably also look into getting a robust transmission cooler before towing cross-country.

I think most roof racks for the Fit clamp on, but some may involve drilling holes and bolting down brackets. I do recall one thread here where someone attached (bolted on) roof rail tracks, which gives a rather more flexible arrangement.

If you have a lot of stuff to move across the country, it's probably more appropriate to rent or hire a truck and either drive or tow the Fit separately. If you're just looking to do a road trip, packing less stuff is always a very decent option.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Like in may things,, Just because you can,, doesn't make it a good idea.

If I were moving and packed the fit as tight as I could with personnel belongings I'd bet I'm close to whats prudent to pull with the little 1.5l engine and tranny combo. CVT's are even more susceptible to overheating if forced to pull hard for long periods of time. +1 on a tranny cooler if your going to do it anyway..

If its just a vacation, I've started renting cars for that. I can usually find a good rate on a car from Hertz and I can rent a roomier vehicle if needed. Malibu is my fav, gets about the same mileage as a fit but LIKE's cruising at 80.. With 4 people and luggage. Got a deal when I took my daughter to college, Chrysler mini van, so we had room for all the stuff she thought she needed and easy quiet cruising..

Old 03-07-2016, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
No towing by my 2016 FIT, but I am having a Thule roof rack installed. The work will be done by professionals at no cost since I purchased the rack from them.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
I have a ge & towed a quite a few times. I would not tow cross country with a fit. Every bump feels as though it tugs enough to slow the car. A hitch style cargo tray would be ok imo but i would still keep it light.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:57 AM
I tow with my 2015, but only around my state of Connecticut. Cross country travel towing is no go in my book. Even with a good tranny cooler, its not something im comfy doing.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:51 PM
My thought is if you're driving cross country and looking at tow and roof racks, the inside of your fit will probably be packed as well.

In isolation I'm sure there are weight limits for towing, roof, and payload, but going to the max on all three doesn't sound like a good equation.

Given that my fit can barely pull just me in any empty car up a hill, I'd be concerned about any level of driveability.

Are you moving or just road tripping?