Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Fit 2012 - no gas cap lid

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 06:30 PM
Fit 2012 - no gas cap lid

We just bought a 2012 Fit and when buying gas the first time, we realised that there is no lid to protect the opening.

There is the seal thing that you push and then it opens, but beneath that the opening has no lid.

I called the dealer and he said newer cars don't use that anymore. We have mostly had older cars before, but can someone confirm that a 2012 Fit doesnt need a gas cap lid?

Old 07-08-2017, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
Post pictures so we can see it?

Old 07-08-2017, 10:33 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
there should be something like this on the gas filler..

Old 07-08-2017, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
In North America, I'd be expecting a removable gas cap like kenchan posted......

But OP is in Aukland, New Zealand.

IDK what Honda put to use in that part of the world for 2012, but many of Hondas products in North America are now using a capless filler like this:

OP, can you post pics of yours?

Old 07-08-2017, 10:56 PM
This is what it looks like. It has just rained so I believe the wet marks are from water and not fuel.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
Put your pics on a hosting site like tinypic or imigur, then paste the URL of the images here in your post

Old 07-10-2017, 05:20 AM
Old 07-10-2017, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cicero

Your gas cap is MISSING.

See the post above from kenchan showing a screw-on cap.
From the link:

Buy, borrow, or steal a gas cap.
You REALLY don't want to have to deal with water in the tank, trust me.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:00 PM
You’re not gonna get any water in your tank, so don’t worry about that. I think it’s very likely that it’s a regional thing. MANY new cars, Hondas as well (Civic for example) have the capless system and I think that’s what this is. It’s very convenient, it eliminates the gas-cap related idiot lights, and its certainly watertight.

Heres one way to tell if your Honda is supposed to be capless- afaik Honda always includes a little funnel gadget that fits in the capless hole so you can fill from a jerry can. Check under your hatch floor, by the jack and spare and it should be in its own little nook. Gray maybe, little plastic funnel dongle.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by UnFitParent
You’re not gonna get any water in your tank, so don’t worry about that. I think it’s very likely that it’s a regional thing. MANY new cars, Hondas as well (Civic for example) have the capless system and I think that’s what this is. It’s very convenient, it eliminates the gas-cap related idiot lights, and its certainly watertight.

Heres one way to tell if your Honda is supposed to be capless- afaik Honda always includes a little funnel gadget that fits in the capless hole so you can fill from a jerry can. Check under your hatch floor, by the jack and spare and it should be in its own little nook. Gray maybe, little plastic funnel dongle.
Old thread is over a year old.
You didn't even look at the pic the OP provided?
OP did not have a capless filler at all, it's flat MISSING the gas cap.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
yah maybe he was looking at getting a new cap?

anyway im not a fan of those capless fuel fillers cause u can get grime like road salt on the mouth and you end up washing it into the tank.. i see it often on rentals

Old 08-05-2018, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by ezone
Old thread is over a year old.
You didn't even look at the pic the OP provided?
OP did not have a capless filler at all, it's flat MISSING the gas cap.

No, I did see that the post was old. I didn’t (couldnt) see the pics for some reason, I’m on an iPhone now and can see them though. But I still would’ve posted anyway.

Someones gonna get home with their new Honda with no cap and be like oh snap no cap? And they may well end up on the interweb looking for answers. Now they can find some useful info, check the trunk for the funnel to confirm it’s supposed to be capless, and sleep soundly. I’ll always answer an old thread if I have something to contribute, you never know when it might be helpful.

Just to clarify, this isn’t new tech. The capless system with funnel has been around awhile, here’s a gentleman utilizing an early prototype with style ; )

Old 08-05-2018, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah maybe he was looking at getting a new cap?

anyway im not a fan of those capless fuel fillers cause u can get grime like road salt on the mouth and you end up washing it into the tank.. i see it often on rentals
Yah, I can see the convenience but it’s so slight that it’s not really worth it. Any setup like that, whether it’s a fuel filling system or otherwise, catches a bunch of crap on the surround and then you have to meticulously clean around it before you dare add fuel or whatever. Convenience negated.

I’d hope there’s an (extra) screen or filter of some type added to these capless setups, just because of the likelihood of some debris getting in there. But still, better to have no debris in there at all. As long as the tank door has a place to hang the gas cap I’m happy!

Old 08-05-2018, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
yah i’ve seen so many people forgetting to cap and close the gas door so i’m sure there is some benefit(?). no idea.

seems our cars need to sense the gas cap is secure or it throws a code. not sure how one would retrofit one on our cars.