Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

I now own a Honda Fit Sport 2018....but

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 08:47 PM
I now own a Honda Fit Sport 2018....but

So last week my wife and purchased our first new car and it was a Honda Fit as I have heard good things about this car with it's reliability and so on. We were in the market for a new vehicle as my old subaru legacy was just costing too much to repair. Well the night we went to the dealership it was exciting that we were about to buy a car with AC and 42 miles on it! just a great feeling after all this time. Now almost a week later I'm a little worried this car looks wimpy and cheesy. I always tend to do this after I put a lot of money into something, ( buyers remorse ) I keep thinking over and over and searching online and forums for reasons to think I made the correct choice in vehicle we purchased. I realize that these are silly reasons to doubt buying a reliable car but i dunno, everybody calls the car "cute" oh well I guess. Anyway Hello I'm new to forum! Please give me some positive stories about all your fits you enjoy!

CaseyJones

Old 12-08-2017, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
Cheesy is a good way to describe a large percentage of new cars. Not sure you could find one anywhere near the Fit's price range that isn't cheesy. Better to just enjoy it for what it is. Roomy, fuel efficient, fun to drive, etc.

CVT or manual? CVT adds the cheese. Manual greatly takes away the cheese.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Cheesy is a good way to describe a large percentage of new cars. Not sure you could find one anywhere near the Fit's price range that isn't cheesy. Better to just enjoy it for what it is. Roomy, fuel efficient, fun to drive, etc.

CVT or manual? CVT adds the cheese. Manual greatly takes away the cheese.

Ha, it’s an automatic that’s one thing I really don’t care about too much. Fuel efficiency is awesome. My old Subaru would get about 23mpg Highway, yesterday I was averaging around 38mpg. I’m not a big “car person” my main goals were to get around without worrying about what will go out next and how much that will cost but I think I’m just being silly when over thinking a car because it might come off as wimpy or whatever. How reliable are these cars anyway? Also I like to go hiking a lot and hopefully this does alright is somewhat tougher roads nothing to crazy obviously but the occasion gravel / forest road.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
bought the car a little too quick i see.. luckily you made a good choice as far as an economy hatch.

i think the problem here is not the car but your self esteem.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
bought the car a little too quick i see.. luckily you made a good choice as far as an economy hatch.

i think the problem here is not the car but your self esteem.
Ha thanks! Like I said I realize these are just stupid reasons to doubt the car. I’m sure I’ll grow to love this car.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member
Enjoy your car for what it is, not for what it isn't.

My buddy has a heavily modified WRX putting 300+ HP to the wheels. I sent him a picture of the trip info screen showing the last 3 full ups that were all 40+ MPG. I told him I'd never beat him at the drag strip but I'll beat you at the gas station lol.

Get some tint and new wheels if budget allows. Helps make the car less cheesey. I personally like the EX wheels but I wish they weren't so heavy.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Enjoy your car for what it is, not for what it isn't.

My buddy has a heavily modified WRX putting 300+ HP to the wheels. I sent him a picture of the trip info screen showing the last 3 full ups that were all 40+ MPG. I told him I'd never beat him at the drag strip but I'll beat you at the gas station lol.

Get some tint and new wheels if budget allows. Helps make the car less cheesey. I personally like the EX wheels but I wish they weren't so heavy.
I like the EX wheels a lot the ones I have on the sport all blacked out I’m not really a big fan thhdy make the car look funny I think. I will probably switch those out at some point but asides from the wheels I probably won’t do much else to the car. Looks like a decent car camping car too. Lots of space, more than my friends crosstrek.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:40 AM
The way I see it is that me ad my wife have the best subcompact car out there period. And we both love our Fit.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CaseyJones
Now almost a week later I'm a little worried this car looks wimpy and cheesy.
Meh...
Personally, I like the look of a Honda Fit.
And the look is actually pretty generic sub-compact hatchback.

It's not like it's a KIA Soul, or Nissan Cube, Nissan Juke or Pontiac Aztek, all vehicles that I think do have a polarizing look.
How upset can you get about how a Fit looks?

To me? It either looks pretty sharp and sporty...mine is black.
OR...
Sometimes it strikes me as kind of "nerdy"...but that's not bad either. It looks efficient and purpose built.

So either way it strikes me, I like it.

I've had women call both my 2010 Fit and my current incarnation 2016 "cute" and that doesn't bother me either.
It's kind of like going to a singles dog park, with a little puppy. If they think it's cute? Great for me.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:10 PM
Of all the sub-compact vehicles I’ve looked at, I find the Honda Fit the better looking in my opinion. I’ve had two of them thus far and will buy another if Honda sees fit to include different colors for the interior, such as beige. Honda would be wise to update the infotainment system as well. I live in Florida, so black is a no go in the summertime.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:22 PM
Great feedback and some very valid points. Took it on a bit of a drive today about 80 miles round trip I know that’s not a ton but its the longest I’ve done yet, it did great up he winding hills to the trailhead bettter than I thought it would. One thing is that the tpms light came on randomly and my tires seem fine? Has anyone else has this problem?

Old 12-09-2017, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
use a real pressure gauge and make sure the psi around 32-33 cold (check your driver door jam for the correct psi, although i tend to run higher like 35-36psi range). then just reset it. it does come on while new and when you add air, etc. its notorious to be overly sensitive.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
Great feedback and some very valid points. Took it on a bit of a drive today about 80 miles round trip I know that’s not a ton but its the longest I’ve done yet, it did great up he winding hills to the trailhead bettter than I thought it would. One thing is that the tpms light came on randomly and my tires seem fine? Has anyone else has this problem?
Check your tire PSI... inflate and then re-calibrate the system.

There are two basic things that have been an annoyance with my Honda Fit.

One is Front Windshield wipers drag and had chatter. I eventually bought expensive Bosh wipers and the problem is much better.

2nd is...every long highway trip I take, 1-2 hours or more of solid driving seems to trigger the TPMS light.
I'm going to bring it up at my next service interval.

Be aware the Honda Fit has what is called an "Indirect TPMS system" which doesn't use actual sensors in the tires that actually monitor the actual tire pressure.
It uses the existing speed sensors and computer mojo, to determine if it thinks the tire has lost pressure.

Personally? I haven't been too impressed. While you don't have to worry about replacing TPMS sensors directly, or TPMS lights if you switch to snow tires....I haven't been happy with the false alerts. -which of course you cannot ever count on being a false alert, so it means pulling over and checking my tires at least once on every long trip. Thanks Honda!

If you don't already have one....invest into a good tire PSI gauge, you'll need it.

PS.
Instruction on how to start the TPMS recalibration process are in the owners manual and/or on youtube. Pretty simple. But if you don't do it? Once illuminated the light will stay on.

Last edited by fitchet; 12-10-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Check your tire PSI... inflate and then re-calibrate the system.

There are two basic things that have been an annoyance with my Honda Fit.

One is Front Windshield wipers drag and had chatter. I eventually bought expensive Bosh wipers and the problem is much be

2nd is...every long highway trip I take, 1-2 hours or more of solid driving seems to trigger the TPMS light.
I'm going to bring it up at my next service interval.

Be aware the Honda Fit has what is called an "Indirect TPMS system" which doesn't use actual sensors in the tires that actually monitor the actual tire pressure.
It uses the existing speed sensors and computer mojo, to determine if it thinks the tire has lost pressure.

Personally? I haven't been too impressed. While you don't have to worry about replacing TPMS sensors directly, or TPMS lights if you switch to snow tires....I haven't been happy with the false alerts. -which of course you cannot ever count on being a false alert, so it means pulling over and checking my tires at least once on every long trip. Thanks Honda!

If you don't already have one....invest into a good tire PSI gauge, you'll need it.

PS.
Instruction on how to start the TPMS recalibration process are in the owners manual and/or on youtube. Pretty simple. But if you don't do it? Once illuminated the light will stay on.
Thank you, this has helped me. I put some air in the front driver side tire and re calburated and he light went off. Never bought or owned a brand new car so whenever I see lights or hear noises fro the car it stresses me out thinking something is wrong with it haha.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you, this has helped me. I put some air in the front driver side tire and re calburated and he light went off. Never bought or owned a brand new car so whenever I see lights or hear noises fro the car it stresses me out thinking something is wrong with it haha.
Did you check the PSI?
Tires should be inflated to the PSI on the sticker in the doorjamb of the drivers side.
Check your owners manual.

Plus I should caveat everything by saying..my Honda is a 2016 Honda Fit EX, don't know if Honda changed anything in this regard in the past 2 years. I would really recommend reading the owners manual.

Last edited by fitchet; 12-10-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Did you check the PSI?
Tires should be inflated to the PSI on the sticker in the doorjamb of the drivers side.
Check your owners manual.

Plus I should caveat everything by saying..my Honda is a 2016 Honda Fit EX, don't know if Honda changed anything in this regard in the past 2 years. I would really recommend reading the owners manual.
I did yes and inflated the tire to what was required it was a little under inflated but hardly noticeable. These sensors must be super sensitive.

Is there a thread on taking fits on long road trips in this forum? I’d love to hear about people’s experiences on taking this car on fun trips.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
if the car was in the lot with lowish psi and they inflated to the correct psi at delivery that can trigger the tpms. it's overly sensitive to pressure changes. when i swap to winter set with correct psi and back to factory set (also correct psi) during the seasons, it still needs to be reset a couple of times, but after that, it wont come on unless it is physically low on psi.

while it is a pita, i still like it more than the tpms system with the RF transmitter inside the tire valvestem which my previous Fits had. every winter the tpms would turn on as i didnt have the RF modules in the snow set and i lose the ability to turn off traction control due to how the system was set up.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:09 AM
5 Year Member
I did yes and inflated the tire to what was required it was a little under inflated but hardly noticeable. These sensors must be super sensitive.

Is there a thread on taking fits on long road trips in this forum? I’d love to hear about people’s experiences on taking this car on fun trips.
Actually, let me know if you continue to get alerts.

It's been a bit of problem with mine. Like I said, I plan to bring it up during my next service interval just to see if anything can be done, or make sure something isn't wrong.
But with mine, I'll automatically get TPMS illumination, if I take the vehicle on any highway drive lasting more than a hour.

I kind of think there's nothing wrong, it's just the nature of the beast. I can drive for weeks and weeks with mixed driving, highway/city and get no illumination.

But I do plan to have it checked out.
Obviously for safety reasons, any time the TPMS illuminates I have to pull over and check it. I can NOT assume it's erroneous.
Now on any long road trip, I almost factor that stop as being part of the trip.