Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Fit Vs HRV

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 01:58 AM
Fit Vs HRV

Hi,
I would like your opinions on spending the extra cash on HRV vs the Fit. I live in PR and since hurricane Maria most of the streets are falling apart around the island. My work takes me all around the island. As you may know the HRV is 3 to 5 grands more expensive than the FIT. I would like to know if in your opinion the price diference on both cars is worth it on the long run. I mean is the FIT tough enough to take the abuse? Will the front train of the FIT last? Can I configure the FIT to get a wider clearance from floor, higher truss or shock absorbers or bigger tires that do not hit the fenders? Or I should just give up and go for an HRV?

Old 06-05-2018, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
I've never driven on PR, but have on another Caribbean island. The roads typically aren't the greatest and I'm sure you'll find that some roads are unpaved. I think it would be more comfortable on a crossover with a more suspension travel. If you expect to keep the HRV a long time, then the 3-5k could be split up on monthly amount. For example you keep the HRV for 10 years. That's 120 months. Devide $5000 by 120 and that's about $42. For an extra $42 a month you'll have a more comfortable ride and possibly 4WD if you need it.

The Fit should be able to take the abuse. It's a global designed car so it's expected to be fine in 3rd world countries. It should be adequate, but you'll have to be more careful with potholes and unpaved wash outs.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
I'd 2nd the ground clearance thing. Where infrastructure is bad, it's your number 1 friend. If AWD is not desired, the HRV does come in fwD only for a bit cheaper. Or you could get a lightly used one, or a more used CRV - for the price of a Fit.

Now the Fit is not a totally fragile car. They sell tons in SE Asia. But ground clearance not the strong suit.

Recently there was someone on here searching for spring spacers. They make the ride unpleasant, but prevent the springs from squashing down as much, which is effectively like giving yourself more ground clearance. They are very cheap and the text on the websites selling them is often in Russian, which gives you a clue what type of pothole-surrounded customers they appeal to Check it out.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:55 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
are those the only choices? id get a subaru crosstrek for such driving conditions. something with real awd.. or go for a truck? HRV's are street cars for the urban jungle, no?