Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Honda fit for snowboarding trips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Question Honda fit for snowboarding trips?

I'm am so close to buying a fit, but the only concern I have is how is it for mountain driving when loaded with three 200+ guys and all their gear (preferably on top with a roof rack). I'm particularly looking at hearing from owners in CO and UT as that's where I'd be making my trips, although the occasional big bear or tahoe trip wouldn't be out of my reach.

Some background: I live in SoCal now so I'd road trip out there. I currently have a 2012 Subaru WRX hatch that's modded. I have no issues at all with needing power to overtake basically anything and the sure-footedness of AWD in winter. I know the Fit is not that. I want the Fit for the mpg it can get on my commute in Los Angeles. I just want to know if it can make a trip through I-70 with 600-800lbs. I am pretty sure it'll struggle, but I want to know it can do it.

I've also had a friend buy a 2018 Fit Sport and he does have concerns if he were to take it to CO (he hasn't but he's the one who got me thinking about this)

Old 10-12-2018, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
I've done the trip from san diego to bear a bunch of times in a Lexus Ct hybrid, and thats fwd. No passing power of a Wrx, but the handling makes easy work of twistys. I have no problem maintaining speed going up and down the mountain whereas most drivers tend to slam their brakes/slow down.

IMO, my Honda Fit handles way better than the Lexus Ct, and has more power mid/top end. I havent tried it in snow (yet), but when the season hits I can give ya my impressions. My prediction = it'll do just fine

Old 10-12-2018, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
It's not going to like .. break down ... it has something like a 850lb total cargo weight (including you).

So yes it's going to "do it", but if you are considering passing on a single lane road with that load, you'd better take some CBD along with you and just chill out behind whatever car you're behind. Because the Fit is not a powerful car and, as you mentioned, it will be much slower ("struggle") when fully loaded. Why not consider a Civic Hatch, or a Subaru Crosstrek? Both are similarly sized, albeit, a little more pricey.

In my experience for ski trips you will want better tires than all-seasons to maximize safety and fun. One aspect of fun being not worried about getting in a wreck. That goes for any car.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:20 PM
Fujisawa,

I just now looked into a civic sport hatch and it is enticing for only another $4k. I guess the reasoning would be I just want the cheapest car I can get, which includes maintenance fees, gas, and insurance. The fit should beat the civic in each of those categories.

I can also probably just get a rental car if I want to make those trips and not worry.

I know the car can do it I just don't want to be "4th gear loosing speed with my gas pedal on the floor" slow.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Seems like you have conflicting priorities.
As pointed out, The Fit can probably "do it" but it also probably isn't the best tool for the job.
The MPG on the commute would be it's strength.

If NOT having the same horsepower, and AWD, and passing capability of your Subaru is going to be an issue? Then just realize you won't have it.

Horsepower and Passing Ability, vs. Gas Mileage on a long commute are usually conflicting strengths of a vehicle.

It's kind of up to you which aspect of vehicle capability is more important.