Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Honda Fit SPORT 2018 Road trip.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:22 PM
Honda Fit SPORT 2018 Road trip.

My wife and I have a brand new Honda Fit 2018 sport that we plan to take on a roughly 3000 mile road trip in April down to Saguaro National Park from Washington state. I’m just curious how the Fit does in longer journeys and what advice I should take as far as any pre trip maintenance etc should be taken. I’m also thinking about attaching a Thule or Yakima roof rack for some extra storage we will be camping most of he trip and backpacking through some national parks in Arizona and Utah. So we won’t have a ton of gear but we just wanted that extra storage anyway. I think most the roads we will be on should be decent so I’m not worried about rough backroads or anything like that but yeah just wondering how this car does on such a long road trip.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if you take your time youll do fine, i think. crosswind was always an issue on open roads but again, if you take it easy its not too horrible.

i suggest you get your windows tinted even if just the rear side glass and rear glass. that added security will net you more cargo space and cooler driving environment in the summer.

also clearbra for your bumper and hood is a great idea. if youre anal, i suggest you use painters blue tape on the front end (and side mirrors) doing cross country drives as it will protect the front from chips.

have fun, take picts.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:35 PM
Huh I had not even considered tinting the windows that’s definitely something to think about. We may end up sleeping in the car a night or two which with the seats down I don’t think will be a problem at all as I’m 5’9 and my wife is 5’2. So I was probably going to just hang some sort of curtain up. One thing I’d also like to do before we leave is out the extend my seat bracket on the passengers side seat as for me the legroom is fine for an hour maybe two but for longer duration than that I know I’ll be complaining about leg room. That’s only an issue on the passenger side though. Has anyone added this bracket to their vehicle?

Old 01-17-2018, 04:40 AM
5 Year Member
The car will do fine. Hope you have a comfortable armrest.
I like having a cooler with drinks and snacks just in case no better food option is available or you just want a small snack.

Check your tires, obviously, make sure your oil life is sufficient for the trip.
I always carry a tire pump, tire repair kit, three emergency triangles, first aid kit, few basic screw drivers, an adjustable wrench, a knife and other small tools.
There is really nothing to worry about making that kind of trip on a new car.

Oh, and of course a nice navigator makes a trip more relaxing and predictable. I would personally avoid carrying a rack due to reduces fuel efficiency but if you really need that extra space, I guess it's more convenient than pulling a trailer.

In April you may still need warm clothing if you are going to be in high desert in the SouthWest, especially in the evenings. Camping might be challenging at times, but okay if you know what you are in for. have fun

Old 01-17-2018, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by john21031
The car will do fine. Hope you have a comfortable armrest.
I like having a cooler with drinks and snacks just in case no better food option is available or you just want a small snack.

Check your tires, obviously, make sure your oil life is sufficient for the trip.
I always carry a tire pump, tire repair kit, three emergency triangles, first aid kit, few basic screw drivers, an adjustable wrench, a knife and other small tools.
There is really nothing to worry about making that kind of trip on a new car.

Oh, and of course a nice navigator makes a trip more relaxing and predictable. I would personally avoid carrying a rack due to reduces fuel efficiency but if you really need that extra space, I guess it's more convenient than pulling a trailer.

In April you may still need warm clothing if you are going to be in high desert in the SouthWest, especially in the evenings. Camping might be challenging at times, but okay if you know what you are in for. have fun
Thank you for the advice. This will be our second road trip down to the southwest but last time we took a 1995 Dodge Merry Miler van with our dog a ton of gear this time we won’t be taking the dog and going for less time so we haven’t a need for a ton of stuff we prefer to go minimal aside from backpacking gear etc. I do have a question about “refresh mode” can you have someone in the passenger seat buckled up in refresh mode while the car is moving? Or is that illegal? I’d love to know more about this as it’s the decision maker on wether or not I buy some extend my seat brackets for the passenger side of the fit.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:29 PM
Old 01-17-2018, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Action Jackson
haha I was actually looking at this thread last night. Great shots in there.