Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

LED keyring light Installation *another koolkevin production!*

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Okey, here's how i did it:

At the fuse panel, at the top of the Power Box, the GREEN plug, highlighted by the pic, has 2 wires:

1) White with Red trace
2) Green with Black trace?? ( I'm going by memory so i could be wrong. I'll check later) My bad, it's Green with a RED trace

This plug is connected to the timer delay for the dome light.

Hook up the Power side of the Key Ring Light to the White and Red one, and the Ground to the Green and Black one.

That's it!

Done

Finished

Sorry about the crazy amount of tires all over the place. I'm just hooking up stuff to try things out.

Last edited by Fit of RAGE; 06-27-2007 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Wiring colours
Old 06-27-2007, 10:35 PM
I wonder if those of us with the JDM foot lights will be able to tie-in the power supply with this key light. The timer/relay turns the footlights on full power when the door opens and then powers to 50% or so with the car running, then goes back to full power on a timer when you take the key out. Might be a good match.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tricolor
Same here! Count me in anyway!
Hey guys! My paypal payment was accepted july 5th (3 weeks ago) and no parcel yet.
Is this a normal shipping time frame or is something holding up? I am more curious than anxious at this point, but it seems like a long delay
How long did you guys wait for the parcel to arrive?

Old 07-28-2007, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
Yea that's pretty slick. Nice work.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Hi Tricolor, ordered mine July 2, still waiting on it to arrive also. Maybe there is some customs checking that takes place since it's coming from Singapore? Looking forward to installing it though ...

Old 08-27-2007, 02:28 AM
more DIY

Hello, I'm new here, just got my Fit a week ago, and love it. Just came here to figure out how to fix the few little details that were bothering me, and this was one of them. I can't figure out where to order these, but with a lot of help from Koolkevin, I'm pretty sure I can replicate it. The LEDs are simple, probably need a 470 Ohm resistor for each, then wire both in parallel. The tricky part is actually the clear ring, which I think I have figured out. (Airline tubing for fish tanks). I'll try to make one and get back to you all. Approximate cost: 50 cents for parts, maybe a dollar all together. If it works, and I'm confident that it won't confuse the electronic hamster brain, I'll see about making more for others.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:49 PM
done!

So I made about twenty of these, (all blue sorry), and they're free to my fellow fit freaks. They are just the right length to connect as koolkevin did, you'll have to extend the wires to connect to other locations. (I like koolkevin's wiring points)

They have built in resistors, are shrink wrapped, and the wire ends are tinned just like in koolkevin's.

To make it, I took cheapo air line tubing (for fish aquariums), cut it to 5.75 inch lengths, pre-wired the 5mm LEDs to 470 Ohm resistors (about 5 inches of wire to the plug), shrink wrapped those, and squeezed the LEDs into the airline. Trim insulation and solder. Install and done!

Here's a picture of one (sorry crappy picture, cameraphone):

I you'd like one, PM me so I can

send you my address so you can

mail me a double stamped (for the thickness), self addressed envelope,

and I'll send you one!

Note: You're getting it for free, please install and use at your own risk. I recommend taking the same precautions that koolkevin did, namely disconnecting the battery. Also, I'm sorry I can only send these to the US, unless you're willing to go through the trouble of figuring out all the postage issues. I'm guessing it'll be easier to make your own.

Last edited by lubricus; 09-06-2007 at 05:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-04-2007, 10:11 PM
s'more pics

This is the assembly, shrinkwrapped and tinned (also a ziptie just to really secure the two LEDs together, turn the zip tie head face AWAY from the column cover to give youself a little more room.)

and, another pic, lit, note that it looks white because it's so bright. It's actually blue, and this is just with a 9 volt battery!

Here are some pics of it installed, the blue glow in the background is from my JDM footlights.

I took another darker pic so you can see that there is a little dark spot from where the LEDs cross, I don't think there's any way around that, sorry. I think the airline is a little thicker than the one koolkevin had, so I don't think there's room to cross the tubing to cover the gap. It's pretty small anyways.

Last edited by lubricus; 09-06-2007 at 06:14 PM. Reason: more pics
Old 09-04-2007, 10:29 PM
wow that was fast!

3 gone!... thanks especially for those offering a few bucks (I won't stop you!)

Old 09-05-2007, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
wow man that looks clean! a lot brighter then mine i think. HOpe they fly off ur hands!

Old 09-05-2007, 12:18 AM
Thanks koolkevin, I give you all the credit for the help!

Old 09-06-2007, 05:01 PM
careful!

One more quick thing: be careful while you pull the cover off the steering column!!! Push IN on the BOTTOM half to help the tabs come out. I didn't, and broke two tabs, so they don't sit securely anymore . (Here's another look at KoolKevin's original pic to see where the tabs are and what they look like)

Old 09-13-2007, 03:12 AM
11 left

That is, 11 not spoken for, but I've only received 4 envelopes.

You can thank Fittmann for contributing enough to cover the clear tubing, shrinkwrap, and resistors! (He also has a really nice Fit!)

I'm sorry I'm not PMing as I send these out, I didn't keep track of the real names/screen names, so I don't know who to PM.

If you get one, post a pic of it installed!

-Thanks

Old 09-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Just got it installed!

Got my envelope from Lubricus today, and just finished installing it. The wiring was simple, but getting the wires (negative, specifically) to stay where I stuck them was TOUGH. I had enough room between the connector and the insulation on the positive (white) wire in the steering column to fit it easily, but the negative one was much smaller and further recessed! I fiddled with it for what seemed like an hour (it actually was more like 30 minutes) until I finally looked at it and said

"WORK, damn you!"

I then stuck the negative wire in there with a vigor not usually seen when doing electrical work, and viola! It stuck!

Thanks so much guys for the parts and tutorial. This mod is DEFINITELY going to be worth it!

Old 09-14-2007, 05:28 PM
wiring difficulty....

I'm sorry it the wires didn't go in easy explosivepotato,

Unfortunately, this is one of those situations where Honda precision is working against us. Usually, the terminal crimps in these situations are imprecise enough to leave a lot of little gaps between the crimp and the wire, and you can very easily and securely stick a wire in the gap. In our Fits, the crimps are very precise, so there's no place to stick the keyring wire in. I also took a little time and a little force to basically jam the keyring wires into the plug to hold them in place.

If you're still concerned about keeping them in, you could zip tie the keyring wires to the Fit wires.

Another recommendation is to quickly reconnect the car battery to see if the keyring lights up BEFORE you reassemble the whole steering column.

Last edited by lubricus; 09-14-2007 at 11:31 PM. Reason: additional tip
Old 09-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Retired Moderator
That looks hella cool, it reminds me of the G35s becuase they have oarange lit around the key ring...I

Old 09-17-2007, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
These forums are great! Thanks to all who went before me. The assembly from lubricus went on smoothly. I knew exactly what to expect and what problems to avoid.
Thanks to koolkevin for starting this thread and a BIG thanks to lubrcus for making these rings and sending them out to us fitfreaks no charge!

Old 09-18-2007, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
omg what a simple clean and subtle mod.

love it!

kev great write up and lubricus pm'd you for one of those LED lights .

Old 09-18-2007, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
ur welcome dude. OMG u got the all clear tails? looks SWEET!!! Wheels look nice too!

Old 09-18-2007, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
Thats pretty awesome

Quick Reply: LED keyring light Installation *another koolkevin production!*