Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

LED keyring light Installation *another koolkevin production!*

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
LED keyring light Installation *another koolkevin production!*

Well boys n girls, i have another writeup i'm here to post about. Let me start off by saying this is a LED keyring light that goes around the keyhole that lights it up. Lets begin!

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor FITFREAK.NET take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Here is the led keyring you should have gotten from me. Also included is 3 strips of electrical tape, to hold the wiring together.

That is it. it has 2 wires coming out the back of it, BLACK (+) AND BLACK WITH A WHITE STRIPE (-).

I would HIGHLY recommend to disconnect the battery just in case. Even tho this is not the airbag harness, it's still safer to do it. I have done the wiring for you, u don't need any power for testing or whatever.

First go 2 ur steering column and remove the 3 philips screws from the bottom.

Next, pry apart the top of the steering column. Notice where the hooks are located. It's easier to pry from the back of the top piece (closest to the gauges). It also helps if you leave the steering wheel height adjuster loose so u can move it up and down.

Next, take the LED keyring light and place it around the keyring hole. Notice where i put the led's towards the back.

Next, take the wires and lead them down to that brown plug right under the steering wheel with 5 thick wires. You are going to use the WHITE for the POSITIVE and the BLACK W/ YELLOW STRIPE for the NEGATIVE. This combo. will allow the LED to stay on all the time when the key is not inserted and turn off when the key is inserted.

If you have difficult, you can use a small flathead screwdriver and pry the wire harness off. It has a button to remove it. Anyways the red squares are the wires you will use.

Basically all i did was take the ends of the wire, cut them shorter and soldered the tips so they are sharp, then inserted them deep into the back of the harness and plugged that back into the steering column. The wires were held tight and didnt' come lose after that. Took me a couple tries to make sure they didn't pop out tho.

Use the supplied electrical tape to hold up the wiring so it doesn't get in the way. Remember to STRETCH the electrical tape first before applying, that is how the adhesive is activated.

The finished product w/o the steering cover back on:

And now to test it. Go plug the battery back in. The light should be lit at this point, if it didn't, go back n check ur wiring make sure they are tightly connected. Anyways here it shows that the led keyring light is on and the key is out.

Now with the key in the ignition and set to ACC, the keyring light is still lit:

Once i put it into ACC 2 or start the car, the led keyring light turns off:

Here is the final product w/ the steering column cover back on. It goes on the exact same way. As you can see, the led keyring light shines through the crack between the plastics. I assure u, it's a lot brighter in person and i will take nightime pix as soon as it gets dark.

NIGHT SHOTT!!! it's a LOT brighter then the picture shows it.

Congratulations! You just installed my LED keyring lights! If you'd like to purchase one, send me a Private Message!

If you guys liked this thread, please give me some rep points. It's simple. On the first post, there is a little sorta confused character in the top right corner of the post (next to the post number and "permalink") click him and click agree. thanks again guys! Oh btw look out for a LOT more writeups from me, especially a BIG one that everybody will want to see .

Last edited by koolkevin1107; 03-11-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
bump.............I will get the RED. God I don't need to search the key hole anymore.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sy11580
bump.............I will get the RED. God I don't need to search the key hole anymore.
lol..thats what i thought as soon as I saw the first step.
Very cool thing though. Congrats on that kev.
EDIT: Count me in for the blue, as soon as shipping to here doesnt costs near the led ring price

Last edited by fits_all; 06-26-2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:43 AM
I'm interested in the blue.. wanna keep the interior lighting consistent. Any idea on a price?

Old 06-26-2007, 01:26 AM
i dont need my eyeglasses anymore if i have that,very nice kev!

Old 06-26-2007, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
thnx guys. yeah i don't need my glasses either lol. Price i dont know i'm going to talk to the guy i got it from about a potential GB.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:06 AM
Shouldn't you connect the LED keyhole light to the interior lights? That means the keyhole light will light up when dis-alarm and when engine is off. Lights off when engine is started or when alarm is armed. YOu do not eed it to be lighted up all the way when you are driving right? It helps you find the keyhole at night and is another cool factor when you open the door of your Fit in the night.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:16 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
Price i dont know i'm going to talk to the guy i got it from about a potential GB.
Sweet a group buy would be awesome!!

Old 06-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
i hooked mine up to my dome light. It works together. Nice write up tho.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda
i hooked mine up to my dome light. It works together. Nice write up tho.
Any pics of the keyhole light from your's or Dom's Fit?

Old 06-26-2007, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
it actually turns off when u put the key in the ignition. It stays on all night long tho. It doesn't matter b/c led's use up soo little power that it'lll take 10 years for one led to drain a car's battery.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
u mean even after I arrive someplace and turn off my car and close it(), the ring will still be lit?

Old 06-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Great write up, I'm in for a group buy I'll take blue, thx!

Old 06-26-2007, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fits_all
u mean even after I arrive someplace and turn off my car and close it(), the ring will still be lit?
yeah. Lets say ur car is in the driveway. the ring is lit. lets say u have the munchies and want some take out. u go in ur car, the ring is still lit. once u put the key in the ignition and turn it ONE CLICK, the ring will turn OFF. that means, while ur driving the ring is off. Let's say u get 2 the fast food place and u park, when u take out ur key, the ring will light up again!

Old 06-26-2007, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by explosivpotato
I'm interested in the blue.. wanna keep the interior lighting consistent. Any idea on a price?

Same here! Count me in anyway!

Old 06-26-2007, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
yeah. Lets say ur car is in the driveway. the ring is lit. lets say u have the munchies and want some take out. u go in ur car, the ring is still lit. once u put the key in the ignition and turn it ONE CLICK, the ring will turn OFF. that means, while ur driving the ring is off. Let's say u get 2 the fast food place and u park, when u take out ur key, the ring will light up again!
oh.. i think i Get it
would still look cool though. kinda futuristic i dunno nvm me. Just count me in if your makin a GB for it

Last edited by fits_all; 06-26-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:00 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
I'll get pics soom for you guys. Mine works together with the dome light. 30 sec. delay after door opens, 30 sec. delay after alarm is unlocked. fades with the dome light. it works exactly like the dome light.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
your way seems to be cool, i just dont need it to be on all the time. Did you threw a wire to the dome light?!

Old 06-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Mine is also hooked up this way. Have it lighted up when you need it and shut off when you not using the ride or do not need it lighted up.

Originally Posted by Toy Yoda
I'll get pics soom for you guys. Mine works together with the dome light. 30 sec. delay after door opens, 30 sec. delay after alarm is unlocked. fades with the dome light. it works exactly like the dome light.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:04 PM
How many $$ is this little guy? Super cool write up, I'm in for GB if reasonably priced.

Quick Reply: LED keyring light Installation *another koolkevin production!*