Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Rallye/Bright winter lights suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
Question Rallye/Bright winter lights suggestions

I'm new to the forum, my '08 Sport arrives next week. I live in Interior Alaska where it is really dark really lots in winter, and there are very large animals (moose) that present great danger. I've scanned the posts here already and was wondering if someone would venture an opinion as to what the best lighting options are for really lighting up the road. We also can get ice fog in winter. I was wondering what the road rallye guys are using. Roof rack mounted lights? Bolt-ons to the front end? Replacement lighting for the OEM headlight and fog light fitments? Additional relays needed? What would you do if you were me? I also plan to get another set of wheels from Tire Rack and have them mount studded Pirellis.
Thanks,
der Mond

Old 09-08-2007, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure how you could mount them, but I know KC makes a line of lights caled Slimlights that are excellent. My buddy has them on his pickup and does some pretty heavy off roading with them. KC HiLites Auxiliary Lighting Products

You might have to make some type of light tab in order to mount them. I'd have to look at the front of the car to see where you could mount them....in the lower grille section maybe? They'd have to be towards the center if you put them down there since the air intake in down there.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Banned
I bought my Fit after 25 years of off-road truck/SUV driving/building. The best brand of auxilliary lights that I have found is PIAA. They cost more than KC and Hella, but the extra cost is justified by the higher quality optics in the lenses. There is a light bracket being sold for off-road vehicles that would also work well for Fits. I can't remember the brand name, but the bracket is an add-on license plate frame with light tabs that stick out to the sides like ram horns. The frame/light bracket is made of aluminum, and would keep large dia. lights low enough to keep from causing high wind resistance, which would be the negative for roof mounted lights.

Keep in mind that Fits have a pretty low output alternator, so the power requirements of your aux. lights may cause some problems.

Last edited by manxman; 09-08-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
Good call on the alternator info.

I had PIAA's on my Yamaha Raptor and they were awesome. Probably not the same kind as the car lights lol, but still PIAA's. Very high quality. A stainless steel housing is pretty important due to the abuse they see on the front of the car/truck. They won't last long if they're not stainless or at least powdercoated.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by manxman
I bought my Fit after 25 years of off-road truck/SUV driving/building. The best brand of auxilliary lights that I have found is PIAA. They cost more than KC and Hella, but the extra cost is justified by the higher quality optics in the lenses. There is a light bracket being sold for off-road vehicles that would also work well for Fits. I can't remember the brand name, but the bracket is an add-on license plate frame with light tabs that stick out to the sides like ram horns. The frame/light bracket is made of aluminum, and would keep large dia. lights low enough to keep from causing high wind resistance, which would be the negative for roof mounted lights.

Keep in mind that Fits have a pretty low output alternator, so the power requirements of your aux. lights may cause some problems.
I kept the license plate frame light bar from my old truck in case I decided to use it on my Fit. The manufacturer is "Carr". This light bar WILL work on a Fit, and the tabs for the lights are just inside the headlights- in other words, the aux. lights would not interfere with headlight operation. In order to use seriously high powered lights, you will need a high amp. alternator. I have used the "Powermaster" brand of replacement alternators in the past, but they don't make anything for import cars- just Detroit iron.

Here's the link for the "Carr Light Wing"
CARR Light Wings

Considering how popular high power sound systems are in import cars, you should be able to find an aftermarket high amp alternator for your Fit. If not, there should be an automotive electrical shop in Anchorage (or Fairbanks) who can rebuild your stock alternator with increased output. I had that done on one of my trucks and it worked well.

Last edited by manxman; 09-08-2007 at 02:21 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 09-09-2007, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Thanks!

You guys are awesome, I really appreciate it. Good, practical info. I have a local electric rebuilder shop that knows alternators well and I will run it by the guy there. Everything is so tiny on the Fit! I have owned a 1987 Porsche 911 Carrera for 3 years and am selling it to get the Fit, can't afford both and need a good high-mileage car. The forum support for Porsches is truly world-class and saved me thousands of dollars and taught me lots of DIY skills. I was afraid that the Fit forum may not provide a similar level of response and you guys have set my mind to ease. I need to build a garage (also a DIY project) and save some money; some day I hope to get a good 2002 or newer S2000 and tweak it. I had a 1990 Civic Si that had 282K miles when it lost in a collision with a moose, hence my concerns, and my gladness at getting to own another Honda. Most people I tell I'm getting a fit say "What's that?" I feel lucky to have found this great new Honda at this time.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member
glad we could help!

Old 09-12-2007, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
I've done a search for alternators and can't find one for sale for the 2007 Fit. Must be too new.