Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

LDO's Interior Lighting Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:11 PM
LDO
LDO's Interior Lighting Mods

Ok,
I'm not the smartest guy and this mod is not for the faint of heart. This is the way I wanted to go with my lighting and got it done with the help of this forum and, in particular, Cool Kevin (thanks for putting up with all my PMs! )

So I wanted to get some cathode tubes under the dash for drive and passenger side that come on with the dome light along with my key ring!

I also wanted to install my version of Kev's (above the) cupholder mod and also change the bulbs to LEDs for the AC control panel. I purchased the 12 inch cathode tube kit and 3mm pre-wired LEDs from Onzium. If you are unsure where to get your stuff from USE THESE GUYS. They ship super fast and can help out if you have questions.

The other thing I'm going to stress is USE A TEST LIGHT!! If you don't know what that is, it looks like a screwdriver but pointy like an ice pick with a light in it and a wire with a clip on the end. You simply clip onto a good ground and then poke the wire you think is positive and you can make sure what you think is a power wire really is.

I've read here some colored wires were power and some were ground and I found that while doing this, some of those references were incorrect for my vehicle.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible for you jacking up your ride by trying this.

I realize that this thread is USELESS without pics so here they are.

Driver's Cathode Tube:

Passenger Tube:

Some folks say that the white wires aren't long enough but I didn't have any problems with the single 12 inch kit.

Here are the pics of the bottom panel LEDs.

Radio Snack only had 5mm LED holders so what I did was put additional heat shrink and everything worked fine. A bit of hot glue and I was good to go!!

Now for the AC panel, I decided to replace the little bulbs with the 3mm LEDs I got. I'm pretty sure that they sell replacement bulbs and it would of been really easy but I'm not one for always taking the easy road so I figured, I'll wire my own LEDs using the stock bulb holders so they lock in nicely into the AC panel. After I carefully removed all the terminals out of the stock bulb holders using a toothpick, I made my own circuit after drilling out the 'divider' fromt he bulb holders. Again, not for the weak hearted!!!

Here's what you start with:

Here's what you want:

Working it!

Here's the unit:

Here's a 3mm LED in the stock holder.

Dash torn up!

Magical plug that makes it all work!

My plan is to install some 9.5 flexible strips that come on all the time front and rear, LED dome light and some more LEDs in the door handles, map pockets and in the back hatch.

I'm just waiting for it to get a bit darker so I can post some night-time pics. Don't worry, I won't leav you guys hanging!

Here they are!:

Last edited by LDO; 10-24-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:50 PM
LDO
750 Bump!

c'mon man, I worked hard on this!!!

Old 10-24-2007, 11:10 PM
i like the middle console light, how you change them to blue. The 2 leg lights isn't my style. Nice work though keep it up.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Nice work, looks good!

I would have gone with LEDs for the foot lights, but I'm an LED freak... I gotta check it out on Sunday

Old 10-24-2007, 11:36 PM
LDO
Originally Posted by thejroisgo
Nice work, looks good!

I would have gone with LEDs for the foot lights, but I'm an LED freak... I gotta check it out on Sunday

Thanks,
still gonna go with LEDs for foot lights that come on with the headlights. See, the problem is I want it all! I want lights that come on with the dome light AND lights that are on wiht the h/lights.

Not smart enough to make it work so I'll run two set of LEDs.

Not sure if I'll be able to make it on Sunday now with all the fires/smoke stuff. I'm on standby at work since I've been off since Monday!!!

Old 10-25-2007, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
damn bob that looks cleaner then i thought! I might have to do that myself! I'm glad i could help u weren't one bit of trouble.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
Came out nice. I was thinking of doing the red tubes under my dash but I haven't talked myself into it yet....and now its cold lol.

Nice work!

Old 10-25-2007, 11:09 AM
its not that hard to hook up, you just need to find what relay the head light switch triggers, then tap into it. I'm gonna be messing with my electrical and ill figure out which area you've gotta tap into for you.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:17 PM
LDO
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
damn bob that looks cleaner then i thought! I might have to do that myself! I'm glad i could help u weren't one bit of trouble.
Kev,
thanks again. If you're willing to drive to Temecula, I'll help ya out!

Old 10-31-2007, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
"See, the problem is I want it all! I want lights that come on with the dome light AND lights that are on wiht the h/lights.

Not smart enough to make it work so I'll run two set of LEDs. "

Much respect, I totally feel you on this! Great workaround!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
it lives !!!! I've resurrected this thread, nice work and exactly what I was thinking of doing... to the dash for starters and leds here and there.
on the dash, are you saying that you don't have to do anything but change the bulbs for blue ones ? but u just wanted to DIY the led's ? if I can get this worked out, I really think on the temp dial to do , blue, green, amber, red that'll look good too.

thanks for sharing this , I can't believe it didn't get more attention when you made it, so maybe now it will, again, nice work LDO

Old 03-07-2008, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
good job...

Old 03-07-2008, 01:36 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
not to toot my own horn ...LOL

but check my sig for the link to the DIY I made a while back it should help you out.

Good luck to all - haha dont worry its easy

Old 03-10-2008, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
Nice work!

To get the light to work when the door is open and when you turn the head lights on, you should be able to basically run a second ground out to the headlight switch circuit. (Assuming the headlight switch brings ground to the headlight relay and not power.)