Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Driving lights, non-Honda fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 03:10 AM
Driving lights, non-Honda fog lights

I put on some driving lights and fog lights because at night I totalled one car with a deer (deer warning horns don't work) and one van with a moose (thank-you, Ralph Nader, for airbags - I would vote for you if I lived there).

Unlike most cars, the Fit's headlights (but not park lights) are positive grounded so the wiring has to be different from that indicated on the instructions. The relay has to be wired differently as does the switch (if illuminated). If your switch is illuminated by LED's, then you will probably have to completely rewire the switch because of the positive grounding since LED's are diodes which only let electricity flow in one direction.

Driving lights must only come on with the high beam head lights. Canada has daytime running lights (DRL's) which use the high beam filament at a reduced voltage. I found some circuit diagrams on the web - but they were too complicated for me. So I tried connected the relay for the driving light to the DRL module instead of the high beam - thankfully this guess worked (I was expecting smoke). It prevents the driving lights from coming on when only the DRL's are on.

The fog lights should only come on with the low-beam headlights.
Initially I wired the lights incorrectly so that the high beam and driving lights (55W) and fog lights (55W) were all on simultaneously. I didn't think the Fit's weak system could handle all those watts, but it seemed to be OK for the short time that all three sets of lights were on.

Both lights are fastened to the metal bumper to minimize vibration.
I'm frequently on gravel roads so to protect them from rocks, I covered the driving lights with clear Lamin-X and the fog lights with yellow Lamin-X. So far the lights haven't been broken. I wish I had just used clear Lamin-X for the fog lights as well because in the autumn, the grass in the ditch is yellow and I think a clear light would provide more contrast if an animal were to jump out.

My wife was pretty upset when she saw the Visa statement for the lights. She said the Fit already has good lights. But yesterday after she drove 400 miles at night, she mentioned how good the lights were .

The fog lights are those little yellow things at the bottom - they are suprisingly effective in spite of their size. I bought these because they were cheaper than Honda's and because I wasn't sure if Honda's fog lights could be adjusted horizontally.

I was pretty proud of the driving lights but the first day my wife drives my daughter to school all the guys were smirking - which embarrassed my daughter to no end. I guess the lights look totally uncool.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:14 AM
wow.....you're now the most paranoid person i've ever met

Old 12-09-2007, 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by GSRswapandslow
wow.....you're now the most paranoid person i've ever met
lol ... I admit to being paranoid.
This other guy in our town is also a bit paranoid. He has a 450 pound grill guard welded to the front of his fairly new Ford truck. So far he has hit 2 elk and 3 deer - without any damage to his truck.

hmmm... I wonder what my Fit would look like with a 450 pound grill guard?
Wish I had photoshop!

Old 12-09-2007, 11:32 AM
iHardpark
woah!!!! those lights are huge you gonna rally that fit?

Old 12-09-2007, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

If it keeps you from hitting animals such as deer and, god forbid, a moose, then I'm all for it.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:02 AM
Haha I rember one time driving in co with my uncle we hit 4 deer in a 20 second period lol we got them with a 3500 pound chevrolet bullet muhahaha bt serisly scary stuff and they f'd up the truck so I can see y u wouldent wanna hit one with ur fit

Old 06-19-2010, 07:46 PM
i drive at night for a living. so its important to me to have good lighting. i went with 6k hids and 3k for my fogs.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:02 AM
Originally Posted by cndfit
lol ... I admit to being paranoid.
This other guy in our town is also a bit paranoid. He has a 450 pound grill guard welded to the front of his fairly new Ford truck. So far he has hit 2 elk and 3 deer - without any damage to his truck.

hmmm... I wonder what my Fit would look like with a 450 pound grill guard?
Wish I had photoshop!

heheh i like your words.
Even no see you,but i think you are full of humors!!!!!!!

Old 11-24-2010, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member
Wow bro! What a light(s)!

What part of Canada do you live in anyway??

Old 01-23-2011, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
I'm considering something like this - I live in north central Maine, and there's enough wildlife on the backroads at night to warrant some extra vision from time to time.
I definitely won't go so big though (though I actually like the look of this, surprisingly) something more narrow that I modify the grill with the H emblem to mount them in - since I frequently use the front end bra when I make long highway trips. I am currently running stock H4s with 3K H11 HIDs in the foglights and it's 'adequate' but with the ups/downs and blind corners extra lighting can mean that split second extra reaction to something up ahead.
And, in such a tiny car, it's all the difference - I knew 4 people who hit a moose doing 70 on I-95 in a small older corolla. The impact tore the roof off according to the report and a passenger was partially decapitated. Only the driver, after weeks in ICU, survived. The EMS responders said it looked like the car's front end essentially went UNDER the moose so the torso of the beast came straight through the windshield. Terrible terrible accident. They were all between 18 and 20 years at the time. My friend, the driver, was never the same after that...

So, tell those boys smirking or your daughter those driving lights are the difference between life and death in Moose Country.

Drive safe everyone, even if you're not so fortunate to be sharing the road with some of the largest wildlife in North America

Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 PM
any better pics during the day time im curious