Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

HID's cause poor radio reception....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:58 PM
HID's cause poor radio reception....

Turn on the HID's and the radio reception goes to crap.....turn them off, no problem...

Anyone else experience this?

Last edited by deocder; 01-12-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:02 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
mine is fine.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Banned
its probably because the way the oem bulbs are grounded, and since you're using the oem ground it causing your issue. if you don't have a retrofit you should swap back to your stock bulbs because your blinding everyone

Old 01-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Your getting some electrical bleed from the ballasts to the cars chassis. What HID kit do you have?. Was it a direct "plug in" it or did you have to do some splicng? if it was a plug-in kit were the connectors are all sealed or do they leave some of the prongs exposed.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Just for clarification, this is a retro and I made a new harness to take power straight from the battery.

The kit is made by Xenith Xenons....

The interface between the stock system and my harness is at the H4 socket. Since our lights are ground switched, I'm using the following schematic:

Old 01-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Banned
you might want to try grounding to the body instead of the battery maybe? the way honda headlights are wired has always confused me

Old 01-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Hmm. It is directly grounded to the body but at the same point that the battery connects to the chassis.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Are the ballasts built in the retrofit housing or seperate..if they are seperate, are they mounted directly to the body of the car? They should be mounted to metal and the case of the ballas should be grounded to the body. if it isn't. Ground the ballasts to the cars body or back to the battery... if it is grounded. Then you have a bleed off situation and one of yo ballasts is gonzo.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by deocder
Turn on the HID's and the radio reception goes to crap.....turn them off, no problem...

Anyone else experience this?
yeah i got that problem with the Brand i have... to eliminate that problem either i dont listen to the radio or put in my I-pod

Old 01-10-2008, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
i have installed a lot xenith xenons kits on fits, none never had that problem, did recently brought the kit from xenith xenons, if so you have 1 ground cable right???, if so move the that ground to the 14mm bolt right next to the battery (look at the picture blow) but if you have the older kit you have 3 ground cable, then put one ground on the 10mm bolt that hold the headlight on the side on each headlight and the last one on near the srs. that should solve it.

the 14mm bolt

the 10mm bolt

Old 01-11-2008, 12:48 AM
I moved it to the 10 mm bolt under the headlights as shown in your picture. This had no effect on the problem. I removed both ballasts and checked their chassis grounds and found them to be fine as well. I disconnected the passenger side ballast and the reception improved, yet there was still noticeable interference.

I sent a message to George over at Xenith Xenons and his reply was:

"This happens when your ballast is installed too close to the radio
receptor. A simple change in the area of ballast mounting will fix the
problem
" -George Wu

But I have mounted the ballasts where everyone else is mounting theirs. I wonder if I got some bad ballasts....

Or is there some fault in my wiring? Tomorrow I will bypass the harness and plug directly into the stock H4 socket to see if there is any improvement.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
i have had my hid's for 9k miles and they have not caused any problems.

maybe i guess it is the ground, but i dont know if i grounded them that well or not, cant remember.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by azncarbos
i have installed a lot xenith xenons kits on fits, none never had that problem, did recently brought the kit from xenith xenons, if so you have 1 ground cable right???, if so move the that ground to the 14mm bolt right next to the battery (look at the picture blow) but if you have the older kit you have 3 ground cable, then put one ground on the 10mm bolt that hold the headlight on the side on each headlight and the last one on near the srs. that should solve it.

You mention "1 ground cable" and I'm not sure if I have that or not. The connection to the ballast consists of a two conductor cable that I have conected to left/right ballast +/- as shown in the schematic above. There are no separate grounds beyond that.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
You mention "1 ground cable" and I'm not sure if I have that or not. The connection to the ballast consists of a two conductor cable that I have conected to left/right ballast +/- as shown in the schematic above. There are no separate grounds beyond that.
is the cable cover by a plastic or fabric materials, if the plastic materials then you have one ground cable, but if you the fabric materials then you have 2 to 3 ground cable.

Do have the bi xenon or the halogen hi and hid low??????

Old 01-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Yea, it's the plastic material, there are two wires, black and white. Since its a retrofit, I am using a D2S bulb. My projectors are bi xenon.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
Yea, it's the plastic material, there are two wires, black and white. Since its a retrofit, I am using a D2S bulb. My projectors are bi xenon.
the black, power the bulb and the white, allow the bi xenon function to happen. i think???? correct if im wrong.... I looking at it,it just maybe the connection and ground issue to cause bad reception, our fit already have some bad radio reception, if you follow my DIY on installing you shouldnt have any problem....

Old 01-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Actually, the black and white wires that go to the ballast, I thought, were positive and negative.....the bi-xenon functionality is separate from this. At least in my case since the projectors have solenoids that control the high beam.