Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Difference between HID D2R and H4 bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Difference between HID D2R and H4 bulbs?

Been looking on the forum for HID recommendations.. I need new lights and I am interested in HIDs.

I noticed that some ppl have said that D2R bulbs work in the fit well, but I am also looking at bi-xenon kits that use the H4 high/halogen low.

What is the rear difference between the 2 bulbs types and what difference does it make in the light housing of the Fit?

I don't want to go out and buy the H4 hi/lo kit and end up having problems with fitment/glare etc.

Can someone shed some light on this topic for me please?

Old 03-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Banned
The d2r bulbs were found in 99-03 TL style headlights, these cars used a separate housing for the highbeam. Your best bet is to go with a Bi-xenon projector setup using most likely a d2s bulb

Old 03-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by yeamans17
The d2r bulbs were found in 99-03 TL style headlights, these cars used a separate housing for the highbeam. Your best bet is to go with a Bi-xenon projector setup using most likely a d2s bulb
So I should get a D2S bulb that has a bi-xenon setup? I don't think I have seen that option before.. I've only seen bi-xenon with the H4 bulbs. Do the H4's not work?

Old 03-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Banned
The d2s bulbs would fit into a projector that you'd have to mount into your housing, and since your asking I'd say take a peak around at HIDplanet.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YeeFit
So I should get a D2S bulb that has a bi-xenon setup? I don't think I have seen that option before.. I've only seen bi-xenon with the H4 bulbs. Do the H4's not work?
Okay let me clarify. D2S are the STOCK HID bulb size in almost all the new vehicles that come STOCK equipped with hid's (fx35, tsx, tl, s2k, bimmerz, benz, etc...) H4's in no way or form come with HID's stock in any vehicle. H4 is just a halogen that has 2 filaments inside, one for the low beam and one for the high beam.

u CANNOT put d2s bulbs in the stock fit's housings UNLESS you have done a projector retrofit in the headlights. If you took fx35 projectors (i have em for sale btw) and used smeisters DIY guide to retrofit them inside, u would have to buy d2s bulbs to sit in the back of the projector lens. You CANNOT put d2s bulbs inside the stock fit housings, they will not work. D2S also mounts differently so u couldn't get it to mount without some SERIOUS modifications. Oh and d2s ONLY comes in a single filament. For bi-xenon projectors, there aren't two filaments, but a shield inside the projector itself to flip up and down to give you the high beam effect.

As for the bi-xenon hid kits, you could get a bi-xenon hid kit from Xenith Xenons - Superior Quality HIDs and World-Renowned Customer Service! See For Yourself Today! (great set of HID's w/ minimum glare) for a great price and put those in the stock fit headlights. of course u wont' have the sweet sexy cutoff as from a retrofit, but it does still brighten up the road. Oh btw there are writeups on how 2 install the xenithxenons.com hid kit on your car, I assisted in most of it.

I forgot to add, since ur in canada, i know that u are required to have DRL's, well they will be disabled if u do install a bi-xenon hid kit or a projector retrofit so i'd recommend to get ur foglights to become the DRL's.

Last edited by koolkevin1107; 03-24-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
Okay let me clarify. D2S are the STOCK HID bulb size in almost all the new vehicles that come STOCK equipped with hid's (fx35, tsx, tl, s2k, bimmerz, benz, etc...) H4's in no way or form come with HID's stock in any vehicle. H4 is just a halogen that has 2 filaments inside, one for the low beam and one for the high beam.

u CANNOT put d2s bulbs in the stock fit's housings UNLESS you have done a projector retrofit in the headlights. If you took fx35 projectors (i have em for sale btw) and used smeisters DIY guide to retrofit them inside, u would have to buy d2s bulbs to sit in the back of the projector lens. You CANNOT put d2s bulbs inside the stock fit housings, they will not work. D2S also mounts differently so u couldn't get it to mount without some SERIOUS modifications. Oh and d2s ONLY comes in a single filament. For bi-xenon projectors, there aren't two filaments, but a shield inside the projector itself to flip up and down to give you the high beam effect.

As for the bi-xenon hid kits, you could get a bi-xenon hid kit from Xenith Xenons - Superior Quality HIDs and World-Renowned Customer Service! See For Yourself Today! (great set of HID's w/ minimum glare) for a great price and put those in the stock fit headlights. of course u wont' have the sweet sexy cutoff as from a retrofit, but it does still brighten up the road. Oh btw there are writeups on how 2 install the xenithxenons.com hid kit on your car, I assisted in most of it.

I forgot to add, since ur in canada, i know that u are required to have DRL's, well they will be disabled if u do install a bi-xenon hid kit or a projector retrofit so i'd recommend to get ur foglights to become the DRL's.

Thank you, that is a much better description that I could ever type out

Old 03-24-2008, 03:20 PM
A hid kit in the stock housing's would blind on coming traffic.I had some blue bulb's installed($60)and got stopped and asked if they were hid's sometime's.I say just buy a high quailty bulb set and be done with it.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:27 PM
You just can't beat the light output of HIDs tho.. I know a few ppl in town here that have HID kits, just the standard low beam versions, no Bi-Xenon ones.. Law Enforcement up here in Canada aren't too picky with lights.. they have much more bigger problems than to waste time pulling over a honda fit with HIDs.

My biggest Q is, anyone have experience with the H4 xenon low/Halogen high HID kits? is that shrowd on some kits over the bulb that much more helpful vs. ones without?

Old 03-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by YeeFit
You just can't beat the light output of HIDs tho.. I know a few ppl in town here that have HID kits, just the standard low beam versions, no Bi-Xenon ones.. Law Enforcement up here in Canada aren't too picky with lights.. they have much more bigger problems than to waste time pulling over a honda fit with HIDs.

My biggest Q is, anyone have experience with the H4 xenon low/Halogen high HID kits? is that shrowd on some kits over the bulb that much more helpful vs. ones without?
Yeah the cops up here are more worried about what donut to get at their next break at Timmy's than us Fit's with HID's I haven't been stopped or flashed at for my HID's, I think they are aimed quite well. Even asked my dad whom I've driven past a few times and behind to see if it was distracting, which was a no

Old 03-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
D2S: Projection HID capsules (bulbs)
D2R: Reflective HID capsules (bulbs)

D2S bulbs are for projections. Most/all plug and play HID kits are rebased D2S bulbs. What I mean by rebased is they take the bulbs and put your headlight socket on the ends so they fit in your headlights.. (9004, 9006, H4, H1)

D2R bulbs are for non projections headlights; also called reflective housings.
They have a little black strip around the center of the bulb to reduce glare.

As Kevin said. Either bulbs will not fit into the Fits headlights. Theyre specifically designed for HID headlights/projections.
You may be able to mod them and get them to fit, however position of the bulb in the headlight determines how the light output will turn out as well as the amount of glare it produces. I found this out in my Mx-6.

If you get a good HID kit glare shouldnt be a problem with the Fit. Ive never been high beamed and my Fit has less glare than 99-03 TL's. Funny how they were mentioned above also.

Compared to other Fit's in Orlando with HID's for some reason I have no glare compared to them. Either its their headlights or I have a good HID kit?

I just installed the same HID kit as me in my moms tC. tC's have shitty headlights. Any tC Ive seen on the road with HID's have massive glare. My moms car isnt bad at all. I really think its due to the kit.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
D2S: Projection HID capsules (bulbs)
D2R: Reflective HID capsules (bulbs)

D2S bulbs are for projections. Most/all plug and play HID kits are rebased D2S bulbs. What I mean by rebased is they take the bulbs and put your headlight socket on the ends so they fit in your headlights.. (9004, 9006, H4, H1)

D2R bulbs are for non projections headlights; also called reflective housings.
They have a little black strip around the center of the bulb to reduce glare.

As Kevin said. Either bulbs will not fit into the Fits headlights. Theyre specifically designed for HID headlights/projections.
You may be able to mod them and get them to fit, however position of the bulb in the headlight determines how the light output will turn out as well as the amount of glare it produces. I found this out in my Mx-6.

If you get a good HID kit glare shouldnt be a problem with the Fit. Ive never been high beamed and my Fit has less glare than 99-03 TL's. Funny how they were mentioned above also.

Compared to other Fit's in Orlando with HID's for some reason I have no glare compared to them. Either its their headlights or I have a good HID kit?

I just installed the same HID kit as me in my moms tC. tC's have shitty headlights. Any tC Ive seen on the road with HID's have massive glare. My moms car isnt bad at all. I really think its due to the kit.
good to hear...what brand is your HID kit?

Old 03-28-2008, 11:28 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I bought mine from HIDWORLD.COM - Your Source Of HID Xenon Lighting System. -
Theyre going for $170shipped. When I got mine they were $250.

Buy the 35watt kits if you get one. The new 55watt kits are iffy. All I notice is more heat and that kills bulbs.