Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Weird LED issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
Weird LED issue

OK so just slapped on a different set of LED tails, as well as an LED bulb in the 3rd brake light. I noticed this morning, when I step on the brakes, the headlight icon on the dash comes on, as well as my front marker lights. Anyone ever experience this? I think I ran into something weird like this years ago in my Jeep, so I just removed all the LEDs and all was fine, and I never looked into it further. I removed the LED in the third brake light, same deal. Later tonite I am going to try and remove the LEDs from the front marker lights and see if that fixes it. Maybe just too many LEDs that are throwing the system off now? I wonder if thats a feature to let you know that brake lights arent working, sort of the way the hyper flashing lets you know of turn signals that are out. Anyway here are some pics, I kinda like the looks of these, and the LEDs are brighter than the other LED tails that are in my sig. The 3rd brake light pic shown is with an LED bulb in there. Looks basically stock, just get the instant on/off with it.

Name:  IMG_0701.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  82.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0702.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0703.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  62.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0704.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  69.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0699.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  45.2 KB

Old 06-10-2008, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
most likely electronic noise going through the voltage from the leds.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM!!!! it's the LED's in the front parking lights! take those out and u'll be fine. I was trippin mine did the exact same thing. Once i removed the front LED parking lights and put the oem bulbs back, it was perfect.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM!!!! it's the LED's in the front parking lights! take those out and u'll be fine. I was trippin mine did the exact same thing. Once i removed the front LED parking lights and put the oem bulbs back, it was perfect.
Well tried that and no go. Actually put every stock bulb back in, still did it. Guess its time to send these things back! Too bad cause I do like the look of them.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Those lights look great!
This may be similar to the problem that I had. Does your cruise control work when you have the lights on?
With mine, I noticed that the cruise did not work at night. There was voltage leaking from the tails into the brake system, canceling the cruise. Yours may be the same except the voltage could be leaking from the brake lights into the running lights.
I installed 4 diodes from Radio Shack. 1 on each brake light lead and 1 on each tail light lead.
This will allow the power into the proper light the way it's supposed to and won't allow it to leak into the other circuit, kind of like a check valve for the voltage.
I haven't had a bit of trouble with this mod. I picked 3 amp diodes because I wasn't sure what the minimum size I could use. I think a 2 pack was about $3.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by kndlewis
Those lights look great!
This may be similar to the problem that I had. Does your cruise control work when you have the lights on?
With mine, I noticed that the cruise did not work at night. There was voltage leaking from the tails into the brake system, canceling the cruise. Yours may be the same except the voltage could be leaking from the brake lights into the running lights.
I installed 4 diodes from Radio Shack. 1 on each brake light lead and 1 on each tail light lead.
This will allow the power into the proper light the way it's supposed to and won't allow it to leak into the other circuit, kind of like a check valve for the voltage.
I haven't had a bit of trouble with this mod. I picked 3 amp diodes because I wasn't sure what the minimum size I could use. I think a 2 pack was about $3.

Did/Do you have the lights pictured above? your problem sounds a little different than ours, we both have (had in his case) the same exact set of tail lamps and are/were having the same exact problem...not doubting the Diode i just dont want to tear apart my wiring to find out our problems were not related.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe. My lights don't have the black (black looks better!) but the layout looks to be the same. See my pics here https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post196584 and https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post197051. They do appear to be made at the same factory.
You can check for voltage "leaks". I found there to be about 7 volts on the brake light circuit when the running lights were turned on. The diodes act as a "check valve" for the voltage, allowing the current to flow one way only. This lets the proper voltage go into each circuit (brake or tail) without any "crosstalk".
It's an inexpensive and relatively simple fix to make.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:11 AM
ok i cannot deny those are the same lights just with different color backplating. Now that we have established that you are indeed the only one who has solved this problem i would really like a detailed in (lamens terms) description (or pictures) of how you solved it...you said you put 3 am diodes on the lead...the + wire? where did you place them? im not an electrical guy at all im a basics guy, please elaborate for an idiot.

thanks man

Old 08-03-2009, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member
I'll put something together later today with pictures and everything!

Old 08-03-2009, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
OK, this is my fix:
A diode is directional. That is, current passes in one direction with virtually no resistance but the other direction offers near infinite resistance to current flow.
I started with 4 diodes. I went to Radio Shack because they're convenient. A 2-pack of 3 amp diodes is $1.59 according to their web site. Buy 2 of these 2-packs and you'll have 4 diodes.
I didn't want to cut my fits wiring harness so I cut the wires that go into the tail lights.
Cut the green wires. One is for the brakes and the other is for the tail lights. Do them one at a time so there is no chance of getting them mixed up. Next I slipped a plastic sleeve (shrink tube) over the wire for insulation after the job is finished but you can wrap it with electrical tape. I had the shrink tube laying around but I'm sure Radio Shack sells that stuff, too.
I used butt splices to crimp the diode to the wires. You can solder if you want, just make sure whatever method you use will not come loose.
Here's where you need to pay attention to the direction of the diode. Orient it so the stripe is closer to the tail light assembly. This goes for all four of them. (1 brake wire and 1 tail wire on each side)
Then I slip the shrink tube down over the whole assembly.
The first picture shows the shrink tube pulled up from one of the diodes and the second picture is the finished assembly.
I used tie wraps to make sure the cheap connector doesn't come apart while I'm driving

Old 08-04-2009, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
I had added the diodes as well, but I only used 1 per side, pretty sure I put them on the brake light wire. I traded the car in months ago so I cant exactly go check.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:37 AM
thank you soo sooo sooooo much you have saved me from a huge headache and a lot of fitrage! i appreciate it!!

Old 08-04-2009, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
Post back to let us know how it works for you. This may be a mod that most off-brand LEDs should have.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:57 AM
i absolutely will im out of the country for the next month but when i get home its the first thing im doing!!! thanks again

Old 02-14-2011, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
get 4 diodes were in + 2 on each side one per wirer