Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Installed my hids but I have a problem...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Installed my hids but I have a problem...Updated

**UPDATE** It ended up being a bad ballast. Everything else in the kit was good. I requested a replacement ballast, paid an additional $20 for shipping and got the new ballast today. Installed it real quick on my lunch break and everything works...for now. Anyhow, I got the kit from VVME and so far I am satisfied with the kit.

When all was said and done, it cost me $124 for h4 bixenon 6000k. Shipping was decently quick and the product seems well made. The box did suffer from shipping but I guess that's expected. /UPDATE

Ok, like the title, I got my hids and I installed them last Thursday. I installed bixenons for low and high beams. I got a 6000k and I wont name the company right now.

Anyhow, install was easy (havent yet completely secured the ballasts though) and I tested the lights after installation. Both lights fire up. I let them warm up and then hit the high beams....highs light up fine. I put the low's back on and everythings good. I turn them off and clean up. Later that night, I took the kids to Movie tavern for dinner and a flick.

I notice that there is only one headlight reflection in the truck in front. We got to the parking lot and I check....passenger side is only lit. High beams result in the same...pass side only.

A few days later, I had a buddy flick the lights on and here is what I noticed:

* The passenger side lights normally
* Drivers side flicks 2-3 times quickly and then nothing.

I checked the wiring and everything looks good. I took the ballasts and swapped them. Now the drivers side works fine but the pass side flicks and then nothing. This tells me that both bulbs are good and both grounds are good.

I think its the ballast thats bad but what doe the hid gurus think??

Thanks

Last edited by ReeSpeed; 12-29-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
From what you saying...and you did all the tests like, swapping the ballast around, checking the cables, and grounding...I would say it the Ballast is the problem. Contact the seller and hope they will exchange the ballast for you.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by azncarbos
From what you saying...and you did all the tests like, swapping the ballast around, checking the cables, and grounding...I would say it the Ballast is the problem. Contact the seller and hope they will exchange the ballast for you.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss any tests to troubleshoot. I have contacted the seller for a ballast replacement but have not yet received a response. Hopefully they will do the right thing without much hassle.

Side note... are the ballasts pretty standard design with wiring and such. Could I buy a replacement brand x h4 bixenon ballast and have it plug right into my brand y kit. I looked at pictures and they look the same.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
They should...if you just recently brought them.... most HID kit has a 1 year cover for Labor and parts....

Yea You can..but I wouldn't recommend it...but that just me...make sure their are both the same amps and volt and watts....if you have any other questions just hit me up.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah. They are a week old so I'm trying to go through the warranty route. I originally thought it was the bulb and they wanted me to fed-ex the bulb back to China and then they would send me a new one. It would almost be cheaper for me to buy another bulb. The ballast is a different story but I hate having to ship it back to china. We'll see if the company takes care of me. Thats why I am hesitant about posting the company. Don't wanna start bad mouthing them if they do intend on making good on their product.

Thanks bro. Other than the ballast problem, I love the output. Makes me wonder why i didnt get em sooner!

Ill post pictures once I get both sides working.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:36 PM
that why buying online sucks..online warranty is a hassle....

but yeah...the problem see to be your ballast
if you switch ballast and the other bulb works, than yeah the ballast is bad.
and honestly, as a HID seller...MOST kits are the same out there, just with different stickers and boxing. just go buy a HID KIT from EBAY for like 55-60 bucks. you set to go, just no warranty, well there is, but its a hassle =)
and yeah MOST ballast are the same no matter if it bi xenon or not, it just if you have bi xenon there is an extra relay or more connectors, i forgot what it was. but swapping out the ballast wont matter for bi xenon

Old 12-23-2008, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 713_fit
that why buying online sucks..online warranty is a hassle....

but yeah...the problem see to be your ballast
if you switch ballast and the other bulb works, than yeah the ballast is bad.
and honestly, as a HID seller...MOST kits are the same out there, just with different stickers and boxing. just go buy a HID KIT from EBAY for like 55-60 bucks. you set to go, just no warranty, well there is, but its a hassle =)
and yeah MOST ballast are the same no matter if it bi xenon or not, it just if you have bi xenon there is an extra relay or more connectors, i forgot what it was. but swapping out the ballast wont matter for bi xenon
I figured they were interchangeable simply for the fact that their sole purpose is to basically change voltage output for 12 to xxx volts but I wasnt sure if each company had a proprietary design and wiring. I didnt get my kit through ebay but I guess I may as well have.

Thanks for all the replies and Im relieved to know that its not the bulb. My big arms dont fit too well under the wheel skins! lol

Ill update once I get it figured out.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:11 AM
well..a lot of companies claim to sell DIFFERENT kits from ebay...but honestly...A LOT of it is the same kit you see from ebay, just with their company stamped on it.
compare the ballast and the bulbs and you can see, just take off all the stickets, looks the same.
only 3 LEGIT brand that isnt ebay i can vouch for is
Xetronics (have been using in a car for over 4 years with no problems)
Mucculloch(i forgot how to spell)
kaiixen
but those kits cost like 250 and up

good luck with your warranty issues!

Old 12-24-2008, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
well..a lot of companies claim to sell DIFFERENT kits from ebay...but honestly...A LOT of it is the same kit you see from ebay, just with their company stamped on it.
compare the ballast and the bulbs and you can see, just take off all the stickets, looks the same.
only 3 LEGIT brand that isnt ebay i can vouch for is
Xetronics (have been using in a car for over 4 years with no problems)
Mucculloch(i forgot how to spell)
kaiixen
but those kits cost like 250 and up

good luck with your warranty issues!
Thanks. I think Ill put my money into a better kit next time. The company said that I could send the ballast back to China or I could pay $20 to cover the shipping and they would send me another ballast immediately.

I think I'll just cough up $20. EDIT* I did make the $20 for a replacement ballast. Hopefully I get it quickly.

Ill let you know how it goes.

Last edited by ReeSpeed; 12-24-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
updated. too short

Old 12-29-2008, 04:42 PM
I'm not sure why manufactures don't test these ballasts before shipment

Old 12-29-2008, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by toussi1
I'm not sure why manufactures don't test these ballasts before shipment
Hahahaha....they said all the bulbs and ballasts are tested before shipping. Not sure how true that is but Ill give em the benefit of doubt because DHL is not kind to packages during shipping.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:27 PM
well..the manufacturer did test the ballast before it was shipped
both the bulbs were worked fine right after the OP installed it, he even tested it with high beam and low beam and it worked fine.
it was the 2nd time he try to turn it on that it had problems, so maybe something happen to the ballast after the install, bad connection, something got shorted? who knows? all im saying is, cant bash the company for not testing it before, because it was working before, but just because it was working before dont mean it will stay working =)

well atleast u got the replacement ballast and all works now...good job =)
btw..you have no aftermarket shop that sell hids in ur area for that price? we have tons in houston that sell hids for 100-150. it just much easier to deal locally so you dont have to ship for warranty.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:35 PM
VVME.COM LLC Your Best HID KIT Supplier
is that the company u got it for?

i dont understand how you paid so much, on the website they have it for cheaper?
and yay i finally found the direct company who distribute the kits, lol they even wholesale it

Old 12-30-2008, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
VVME.COM LLC Your Best HID KIT Supplier
is that the company u got it for?

i dont understand how you paid so much, on the website they have it for cheaper?
and yay i finally found the direct company who distribute the kits, lol they even wholesale it
Yep, thats where I got the kit. I believe it is the origin for all the ebay kits. You can pay VVME like $5 to get your business logo imprinted on the packaging for ebay wholesalers.

The original price was $104 for the bixenon h4's shipped. It was like $74 for the kit + $30 for shipping or something like that. That brought me to $104 and then I had to fork over $20 for another ballast. Now I'm thinking I need to replace the other ballast.

Tell me if this sounds like normal (the two ballasts dont warm up the same) operation.

Once I turn the lights on, both bulbs fire and start warming/brightening up at around the same rate. Once they seem to be near full brightness, the drivers side (the original good ballast) seems to flick back to dim and then re-warmup while the passengers side (replacement) just stays at full brightness.
Maybe my original ballasts were from a bad run?

The drivers side does eventually get to full brightness and stay there, it just takes like 3-4 times as long as the passenger side.

Im gonna try to take a video of it to better describe what Im talking about if needed.

Do I need another replacement ballast? I dont mind it working how it is but this seems like a sign of a dying ballast struggling to maintain voltage.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:47 PM
yeah..it sound like..you got a bad defective set from the start.
you might want to try and call them and get them to ship you a free one this time
they might
and yes, this is the company that outsource a lot of their hids
that why i stated earlier, A LOT of the hids are from the same company with just different stickers and boxes =)

but a lot of people on here just dont believe me =)

Old 12-30-2008, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
yeah..it sound like..you got a bad defective set from the start.
you might want to try and call them and get them to ship you a free one this time
they might
and yes, this is the company that outsource a lot of their hids
that why i stated earlier, A LOT of the hids are from the same company with just different stickers and boxes =)

but a lot of people on here just dont believe me =)
Well, I know that a lot of the ebay hids are just rebrands from one source. Not sure if VVME is the actual source or just a rebrand but I think they are the source. I was trying to work a wholesale deal with them when I had my aftermarket parts business but now I'm just a customer.

I just ordered another ballast. I paid the $20 for shipping just because technically, the ballast I have is still working. I just want to get another as a backup. I was talking to a buddy about em today an realized that the ballast problems may have been me all along though.

When I initially installed them, I turned them on for a total of about 30 seconds and turned them back off to clean up and have a beer! From what I have read though, its recommended to leave them on for several minutes the first time you turn them on. Id hate to think something that trivial would cause the problems I have but I'm just not sure.

Anyhow, Ill post pictures once I get the newest ballast installed.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by ReeSpeed
Well, I know that a lot of the ebay hids are just rebrands from one source. Not sure if VVME is the actual source or just a rebrand but I think they are the source. I was trying to work a wholesale deal with them when I had my aftermarket parts business but now I'm just a customer.

I just ordered another ballast. I paid the $20 for shipping just because technically, the ballast I have is still working. I just want to get another as a backup. I was talking to a buddy about em today an realized that the ballast problems may have been me all along though.

When I initially installed them, I turned them on for a total of about 30 seconds and turned them back off to clean up and have a beer! From what I have read though, its recommended to leave them on for several minutes the first time you turn them on. Id hate to think something that trivial would cause the problems I have but I'm just not sure.

Anyhow, Ill post pictures once I get the newest ballast installed.

o shiet, yeah it is bad to turn the hids on and off real fast like that. i usually leave it on for atleast 1 min before i turn it off! espcially the initial and first set up too!!!!
well thats good, atleast you got a back up balast, isnt too hard to swap out!

Old 12-30-2008, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
o shiet, yeah it is bad to turn the hids on and off real fast like that. i usually leave it on for atleast 1 min before i turn it off! espcially the initial and first set up too!!!!
well thats good, atleast you got a back up balast, isnt too hard to swap out!
Hahahaha, I guess I was probably the cause for the bad ballasts. the replacement one that I got I let run for like 10 minutes on first light up after installation and its working great.

I think having a spare ballast will be a good thing. But now I want to get another set for my fogs and 2 sets for my solara! hahaha. I gotta tint the fit first though.