Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Silverstar Ultra question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
SilverStar Ultras are awesome headlights. By far I would say they are the very best DOT approved headlight you could ever upgrade to. Period.

But in order to have more light, you need mare wattage from a tungsten filament bulb. So if more light is what you want, then look to motorcycle style headlight bulbs in the higher wattages they come in.

Just be prepared when and if you have to go through a vehicle inspection process, to possibly going back with the factory OEM bulbs so that you don't run the risk of having your car fail the inspection.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
I got a pair of these a month ago and i like them. Theyre nice and bright. I wanted something that would improve night vision without having to run HID's without a retrofit. How are the PIAA bulbs though, better?

Old 03-17-2009, 10:51 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
After only a few months both of these bulbs burned out. The second one cost me a fixit ticket. I'm withdrawing my recommendation for Osram Hypers, they suck.

Originally Posted by wdb
Here are the bulbs I'm running in my Fit.

H 412H H4 12v Osram Hyper

I'm using the 70/65w version and the difference on low beam is very noticeable; I don't see as much difference on high beams, probably because of how extraordinarily awful the high beam pattern is on these cars. I also highly recommend rallylights.com as as source for these bulbs, the folks there are great.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
I have been running my motorcycle 90/110w H4s for almost 4 months now without any issues what-so-ever. I love them, especially in the rain at night. They really light up the lines in the road that normally don't show up very good with the OEM bulbs or even the SilverStar Ultras I had.

I can only compare my newest bulbs to the OEM HIDs I had in my '05 Altima 3.5SE I had before the Fit. These H4s are almost as good in the rain at night as those HIDs. The HIDs are still, hands down that absolute baddest, clearest headlights I have ever had the pleasure driving with.

Also, as a side note, before I got these high wattage H4s, I had the SilverStar Ultras for a little less than 2 years without any issues or burn outs.

Last edited by Sid 6.7; 03-18-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:51 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I popped in the Krypton Showoff 4300K purple, 90/100, and the krypton makes the bulbs a lil cooler. I have used them on other rides and had great color and output, looks super white with a hint of purple, which goes really nice with the yellow fogs.

15 shipped is a lot better than 100+

SO between laminX for fogs, Purple Krypton Lights, and Black rubber vibration undercoating for the fog housings, total light upgrades were $30-35.

Last edited by Shaggs2Dope; 04-13-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:36 AM
5 Year Member
try Osrams out they last longer than Silverstars and shine just as good. I couldn't tell you what model bulbs they are because I bought a 4 pack from Australia for 10 dollars. so I don't how these compare to the Hyper model ones.

Last edited by toxicavenger; 04-13-2009 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
One of my Silverstars just burned out after less than 6 months. Also, they are terrible in the rain or snow. The light gets lost in the precipitation.

I just put in some Philips Nightguides that have three colors, blue to the right, white to the middle and yellow to the left. I am extremely happy with them. I will wait to see how long they last before I give them the seal of approval.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Padraic
One of my Silverstars just burned out after less than 6 months. Also, they are terrible in the rain or snow. The light gets lost in the precipitation.

I just put in some Philips Nightguides that have three colors, blue to the right, white to the middle and yellow to the left. I am extremely happy with them. I will wait to see how long they last before I give them the seal of approval.
hah i have silverstars currently but those sound pretty cool

Old 10-22-2009, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Padraic

One of my Philips Nightguides just burned out after 6 months, so that is about on par with Silverstars. I had higher hopes than that. They looked great, but 6 months is not confidence inspiring. Oh well.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
If you want a white look, go with PIAA Plasma GT-X or Xtreme White Plus.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Silverstars suck. They look like OEM honda bulbs. Tried a set since my Krpton Showoff 90/100w purple finally burned out after 35k miles. I drive with heads and fogs on almost all the time. Now I can't find anyone selling the Krypton Showoffs. The light output was great on them, and color was a nice purple/white. The silverstar's look like crap in comparison. I couldn't even tell if my lights were on the first two days

Trying to find a decent replacement and might go ion yellow/blue for crappy weather months ahead. My gf bitches about yellow output all the time though.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
i'll revive this thread from antiquity. if you use silverstar ultras make sure to keep a spare set of bulbs with you at all times. last fall/winter(08-09) i had a set of silverstars burn out at different times. Sylvania has a customer satisfaction warranty so I got them replaced. Flash forward to this winter. I put that new set in in November, and today i had both bulbs burn out when i turned my lights on tonight to leave work.

they are nice bulbs and seem to be a bit brighter/whiter...but the life span and potential to leave you SOL isn't worth it. my $0.02

Old 02-05-2010, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
I put Silverstars in 2 of our cars over 2 years ago..... They are an improvement over stock, are not a problem for approaching traffic and great on dark rural roads at speeds you wouldn't want to drive at with anything less.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
The silverstar ultras are nice. I have them and they're bright enough for me. However like most people said they don't last very long. My passenger side bulb burnt out last week. I beleive I've had them for roughly a year.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
If you touch a halogen bulb you will leave enough skin oil on it to cause it to burn out prematurely..... I had purchased an outrageously bright bulb for a 5" headlight on a souped up Harley and was extremely cautious to not touch it only to have burn out at over 120MPH on a 2 lane farm to market road..... I assume that it had been handled before I got it..... Since that occurred I use isopropyl alcohol and sterile cotton to wipe them clean after installation into the socket..... The only other problem I had with halogen bulbs was on a V.W. Rabbit with after market lowering springs causing them to go bad from vibration and shock.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
i was close to buying a set of silverstar ultras during my last oil change, i'm glad i didn't after reading these reviews. seems like there are alternate/better choices for overall light output at nearly half the price.

just a quick question regarding everyone's bulbs burning out so quickly. are you guys installing the bulbs with gloves on? the oil transfer from your hands to the bulb could be the reason they're burning out prematurely.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
I didn't install my bulbs with gloves but also didn't touch the bulbs.
When I bought those bulbs the shop I bought from would clean them with alcohol before handling them over to me.
It was just the design of the bulbs that caused them to burn out.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I always use nitrile gloves when handling any bulbs or HIDs, it saves a LOT of headaches in the long run...

Old 03-04-2010, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GD3_Wagoon
i was close to buying a set of silverstar ultras during my last oil change, i'm glad i didn't after reading these reviews. seems like there are alternate/better choices for overall light output at nearly half the price.

just a quick question regarding everyone's bulbs burning out so quickly. are you guys installing the bulbs with gloves on? the oil transfer from your hands to the bulb could be the reason they're burning out prematurely.
no gloves but I do use tissue to hold the bulb. Maybe tissue doesnt make a difference. LOL

Old 03-04-2010, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
ah, i understand guys.. i'm just wondering why people are getting different life spans out of their bulbs. some have them for over two years and others have them die within months.

i've read the same comments regarding lifespan about PIAA bulbs on amazon.. i'll probably get a cheap set of nokya bulbs in arctic white first since i had a set last me over 2 years on my crx back in high school. their light output is ok, better than stock and that's all i'm looking for

Quick Reply: Silverstar Ultra question