Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Silverstar Ultra question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Silverstar Ultra question

I'm interested in buying a set of these, but I'm curious as to how white they'll be. I can't stand the yellow looking halogen color that so many of the regular halogen bulbs have.

Just curious how white of a color the Silverstar Ultra's have.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
3 words....

High Intensify Discharge (HID)

Old 12-27-2008, 06:27 PM
silverstars are nice actually

Old 12-27-2008, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member

Not my car, but I did have them on my Civic and can verify that about how they looked compared to the stock halogen lights.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
I used Silverstar and pretty much every other brands.
The longest any lasted was like 10 months and some went out in a month or two.
Save your money and get hid.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Crawly
I'm interested in buying a set of these, but I'm curious as to how white they'll be. I can't stand the yellow looking halogen color that so many of the regular halogen bulbs have.

Just curious how white of a color the Silverstar Ultra's have.

Here are two pics for comparison. Grant it, they are at different angles, you can clearly see the difference. I wasn't 100% satisfied, though. If you want super bright white, go HID's.

I don't need HID's. That extra 70-100 I wouldve spent went to something else.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-27-2008, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
HID's also produce a lot of glare and are best suited for projector housings, not halogen housings.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:32 AM
I will never buy Silverstars again. They're too dim. Sure the color looks perfect but not enough light actually reaches the road (it's absorbed by the color coating). Mine burned out in just under 6 months.

Halogen for halogen, same wattage, the OEM General Electric H4 bulbs are the brightest.

The rules change when using xenon-filled filament bulbs. They still tended to burn out about once a year but they definitely were quite bright.

I'd like HID headlights, and I think the cutoff is sufficiently sharp to safely use them, but the short wheelbase and inability to adjust them on the fly makes them dangerous if you're hauling cargo/people. Also other drivers would really hate it on bumpy roads because that cutoff can come up in their faces quick. I already get vengeful drivers with the OEM bulbs with the reflectors pointed (L)stock (R)half-turn-down (made the cutoff even, and it terminates kinda close to the car on flat ground).

Old 12-28-2008, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
Had them on my 02 Civic and they burned out in like 6 months. Then switched to MTEC 2X (a lot cheaper back then than they are now) and they lasted me a few years.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cojaro
HID's also produce a lot of glare and are best suited for projector housings, not halogen housings.
I tried HID's in the Fit. Bought them in a group buy on here and loved how they looked, they just reflected light everywhere and I knew I was blinding oncoming drivers. So I have to agree with cojaro on this one. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I was getting a ton of glare with the HID in halogen housings.

Im currently running Eurolite Xenon halogen bulbs and they seem to work fine and put out a decent amount of light. I actually found a set of Silverstar Ultra's that I bought last year out in my toolbox. Maybe I'll put one in for comparison. As far as longevity, my job requires me to run the lights about 80% of the time, so I'd rather they be bright and only last a year then tag an animal on the highway. Just a personal thing though.

Sadly, I couldn't find a Silverstar Ultra that will fit our fogs. Meh. I ran yellow fogs for awhile but wasn't really happy with them. Anyways, thanks for the info guys.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member
Bixenon HID kits have a shield on them right?

Old 12-28-2008, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
hmm my experience with Silver Star Ultras wasnt that impressive when i had them on... you can tell there was a big diffenece between them and the stock ones... i honestly dont remember when or how long i have them for but i think since this pass summer... after that i think around september i got my HID kit... ill never ever go back to them again... not jsut taht i gave them to my brother after i took them off when i had my HIDs they died like 2 days after =( so i honestly would perfer getting a HID kit where it makes a bigger diffenence and last much longer... trust me after you go HIDs you can never go back to stock... well its not taht... you can go back but you will tell that theres a big difference... but overall it jsut really up to you to choose at the end =)

Old 12-28-2008, 04:30 AM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Bixenon HID kits have a shield on them right?

Yeah, I know for sure the Xenith Bi-Xenon have them forsure.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:28 PM
I just bought a set for my wifes 02 accord... and they look bright white even though the bulbs are kind of a purple. Not really sure since I have only seen her driving it.

She was complaining she had trouble seeing the road. And I actually had good luck with my last set of Silverstars (98 Ford Ranger... lasted 2 years at least). So I figured I'd try these since the regular Silverstars were like $38 and the Ultra's were on sale for $44.

We'll see how long they last. If they turn out to be good I might get a set for the Fit someday.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:39 AM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Here is a SilverStar Ultra H4 on the left and a 90/100w H4 on the right.

I thought the SilverStar Ultras looked good and bright, but man they pale in comparison to my new 90/100w H4s.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Skip the Sylvania bulbs and look into these, I have them and they're well worth it! Osram Night Breaker H4 from Power Bulbs | Free Worldwide Delivery

Old 01-13-2009, 07:52 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sid 6.7
I thought the SilverStar Ultras looked good and bright, but man they pale in comparison to my new 90/100w H4s.
Wow, you are the first person I've seen here running 90/100w bulbs in a Fit. I'll be interested to hear how long they last, if you have any wiring issues, or if they warp the headlight housing. I ran 100w bulbs in my Subaru Legacy for years without problems; I finally took them out when I found HIR's for it, which are as much better than the 100w halogens as I suspect the 100w halogens are over the over-hyped, under-performing SilverStars.

Here are the bulbs I'm running in my Fit.

H 412H H4 12v Osram Hyper

I'm using the 70/65w version and the difference on low beam is very noticeable; I don't see as much difference on high beams, probably because of how extraordinarily awful the high beam pattern is on these cars. I also highly recommend rallylights.com as as source for these bulbs, the folks there are great.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
I wanted to make clear about the wattage of these bulbs because a lot of people get confused with the hype on bulb packaging.

Many hyperwhite auto bulbs will have a figure on the package that says something like "55w=85watts!!" or something along those lines. The idea being that the bulb they have emits about the same amount of lumens that an 85 watt bulb would emit.

The true measure of light output is rated in lumens, not wattage. A flourescent bulb that uses 26 watts of power, will emit about the same number of lumens that a 100w incandescent bulb emits. So in that case, yeah "26w=100w".

Most hyperwhite bulbs have tinted glass(blue) that cancels out the yellow tint that comes from normal incandescent bulbs, to give the light a "whiter" look. They claim that the "whiter" the light the "brighter" the light "appears".

In reality, ANY tint that you add to the glass of a bulb will lower the amount of actual lumens being emitted, not matter what the hype on the box says. There is no way to get 85w of light out of 55w of power consumption. If the bulb is using 55w, then it will output 55w, period.

The bulbs I am running do have a very light blue tint to the bulb, but not near the blue you would see on like a CUZO or PIAA bulb. And these bulbs are using a real 90/100watts of power. So they are losing some lumens compared to the same bulb with perfrctly clear glass. But I'm willing to give up a few lumens, to get rid of the drab yellow light, considering this light has so much wattage

So far, I have noticed no extra heat at all in the housing or the bulb harness. So I am quite happy so far.

In my experience, Hondas tend to have larger diameter wiring and better relays in the lighting ciruits.

I put big wattage bulbs in a Neon R/T I had back in the day and as mentioned by someone ese, I actually MELTED the entire wiring harness and plugs leading up to the back of bulbs. I put the OEM bulbs back in and had it fixed under warranty, since it was a new car at the time. I was suprised. I have never had an issue with any honda in regards to lighting.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:34 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
The extra commentary relating to wattage claims vs. actual wattage is much appreciated; I probably should have rambled a bit about that myself. Tint commentary is spot-on as well. Too many light bulbs are being sold as "upgrades" when all they actually do is change the color of the light, reduce actual visibility, and annoy drivers in oncoming vehicles.

For the record, the bulbs I linked to are actual wattage. The folks at rallylights.com do sell some of what I call "fashion" bulbs, but these in particular are the real deal.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
so....

so if you had some money stashed away and you wanted best but safest for you and others on the road what would you buy the silverstars or ?

Quick Reply: Silverstar Ultra question