Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

HID wiring question...

Old 04-16-2009, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
HID wiring question...

ok, the HID kit I have in my truck works great and does not have a relay that connects to the battery. The kit that I have installed in my quad (originally in the Fit) does have a relay connected to the battery.
What's the difference? Is the relay just there for protection from frying something? I guess I'm just a little confused on the point of the relay and the connection to the battery.
The one with the relay is wired like this:
Name:  25.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  64.5 KB
the kit I have installed os just pulling power from each of the factory harnesses...no relay or connection to the battery.

The reason I ask is because I simply don't understand the difference and I'm curious if the kit that doesn't have the relay would work in the quad? FYI, the factory bulbs in the quad are 35W if that makes a difference. I'm trying to cut down on some wiring clutter I've got on the bike and I'd like to get another kit for the Fit and see if I can get some better results then I had before.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
From my understand the relay is a type of gate that opens/closes to prevent problems in the electrical system. I've installed HID kits with and without relays. Usually the ones without the relays you need to up the fuse for the headlight to compensate for the initial start up of the hid kit. With the relay there is usually a fuse attached to it so that the fuse blows first instead of the headlight fuse. I always install a relay because it prevents problems down the line.