Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

HID problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
HID problem

I turn my headlights on and they are fine, after driving for a while my drivers side headlight goes out. At first if I just turned it off and on it was fine, but now its getting to the point where after it goes out, it does not wanna come back on. I checked for a loose connection and didn't see anything. I can't figure out whats wrong anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-25-2009, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
sounds like a ballast problem switch the out an if the problem follows then its the ballast.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
switch the out? can you be more specific please? lol

Old 06-25-2009, 06:55 PM
i love college
this happens on my foglights. tagged for interest.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:12 PM
bad bulbs
bad ballast
one of those two
if you have a working hid bulb and ballast
than switch out the bulb..if it doesnt work..than bulb is bad
but if the bulb work than put the original bulb back in
and
now switch the ballast out...if it doesnt work..than ballast is bad

Old 06-26-2009, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Alright thanks for the help guys ill def. try those out

Old 06-27-2009, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
had the same problem the ballast was bad.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
I switched the bulbs and still had the same problem, so im pretty sure it is the ballast like you said. Im gonna switch the ballast just to be sure though.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I have the exact same problem. I have done a bit more trouble shooting and I think I have my problem nipped but Im not 100% sure.

My Problem: I turn the lights on and both light up. After a few minutes, drivers side turns off. If I turn the lights off for a few minutes and turn them back on, they both come on...then after a few minutes, drivers side turns off.

Heres What I have done to troubleshoot: 1st I tried swapping ballasts. My thoughts were that if I had a faulty ballast the problem would follow the ballast. The problem stayed on the drivers side after swapping ballasts. 2nd I thought its the bulb. After swapping the bulbs, the problem stayed on the drivers side. 3rd I thought maybe the ballast was over heating (both were in the engine bay; driver side was wedged between battery and stock air box). So today, I removed the bumper and put both ballasts in the frame cubby by the headlights and moved the grounds to the stock grounding points there. Same problem and still on drivers side. Then I looked at the wire harness controller (the black thing that all the wires go into.

After the drivers side light went out, I turned the lights off and then turned them on. I then flicked/tapped the controller with my finger and the drivers side light flickered with each flick/tap then it just turned off. I tired this a few different times with the same result. I just contacted VVME to see about a replacement. I'm tempted to crack that controller open and start soldering wires together but that always turns out bad in the end. I just wish there was a way to make my own controller or bypass/hardwire it.

Maybe I need to put some relays?

Silver Stars are looking better and better right now. Sucks to be without a drivers side headlight not to mention having the problem in the first place.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
Pretty funny I actually went through all the tests you did, and had the same result. I decided to take another look at it again on tuesday, so I could try to fix it once again, and found the same exact thing. Everytime I tapped that little black box the light would flicker or go out and come back on when I hit it again. I contacted Xenith to see what they can do. If anything ill just go back to stock for now.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah. I went with osram nightbreakers. Ill do a retro in a few weeks and hopefully it will just work. I'm going to crack the controller open to see what the actual problem was.