Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Dual Halo HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
Dual Halo HIDs? (half complete)

So, I've been looking around... saw these:

This particular one is being sold at Coolcarpartsonline.com. I miss the dual setup I put in my Mirage...

The thing is, I have been using a HID PnP kit (Bi-xenon) for a while and I REFUSE to stick with plain halogen lights. Last year, I found out why NOT to use those fake HID bulbs (tinted halogens)... they melted the headlight socket in the Nissan Pathfinder and almost fried the rest of the wiring (one wire looks/feels fried, but manages to work). Now, I don't just want to pop in a PnP kit...

Earlier I came across this:

As you can see from the in pic text, it's from The Retrofit Source. There is mention that this specific set isn't quite as powerful as the FX35 set, mostly due to its size. Though they also say, the difference is minimal.

So, my thought was... buy TWO sets of those mini projectors and put them in the dual bulb housing.

I can't be sure it would fit... but that's the look I'm going for.

The idea is, with two Bi-xenons on low, I'd get a LOT of output and very good coverage. Plus I like the look of dual bulbs. Then, if I flick high beams on at you... there's no mistaking... I'm pissed off at YOU.

Now, there are a number of issues.

1) As I mentioned, I'm not sure two projectors would fit into a single housing. At which an alternative is to only replace the low beam with projectors. Then again, they say that projector is compatible with HID kits, so that might not be needed (depending on the output with a HID bulb). In either alternative, gonna have to do some rewiring or something.

2) I saw a mention somewhere that someone was using a "cheapo" Depo headlight (dual bulb)... and the parking light cause something to melt. So, I'm a bit worried about this one possibly melting.

3) A pretty big issue... if you looked at the page selling the headlight housing... it says "Honda Fit 08-09 Spyder Black LED Halo Projector Headlight." So, 08 and 09?!? The thing is... based on that pic up above, it looks just like an '09/'10 headlight. Ebay has a seller listing showing chrome on a '07/'08 Fit and blacken on a '09/'10 Fit. And they are still listing it as "08 09 HONDA FIT R8 LED DUAL HALO PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS" for both.

Anyone have any experience with these products?

Last edited by Goobers; 07-09-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Honda released JDM FIT a year earlier than USDM FIT. So for JDM FIT started in 08 model year but USDM FIT started in 09 model year.

I bought the projctor headlights that you showed picture above. But I did not put them on my car since the I cannot put HID in high beams, halogn only. If you will replace the high beams with a new set of projectors, it would be profect. However, I have not done it before.

Some people reported that there are some fitness issues when installed projector headlights above but I don't know for sure since I have not put mine on.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITMugen
Honda released JDM FIT a year earlier than USDM FIT. So for JDM FIT started in 08 model year but USDM FIT started in 09 model year.
hum...

I bought the projctor headlights that you showed picture above. But I did not put them on my car since the I cannot put HID in high beams, halogn only. If you will replace the high beams with a new set of projectors, it would be profect. However, I have not done it before.
I want to, but I don't have any confidence in my "DIY" skills when it comes to either really complicated things or cutting/gluing/welding. And it doesn't seem like you can fit the Mini projector where the high beam reflector is without cutting the back side.

Hum, I think I'm gonna shoot an email to The Retrofit Source and ask if they or the retro-fitter they use can attempt to install the mini in the high beam area. The problem is, do I order two sets of mini and hope they'll refund the second set if it doesn't fit? Or order one and hope they'll allow me to add a second set if the first one fits in the high beam area?

This is gonna be EXPENSIVE! Ouch... maybe after I've saved up some $$$.

Some people reported that there are some fitness issues when installed projector headlights above but I don't know for sure since I have not put mine on.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3323155/2

In the comments he said there was an issue with the turn light socket. He bought his off eBay, but it looks the same.

Man, every time I see his pictures... I see that I have to take off the front bumper to do the swap. That makes me nervous, doh. The Mirage was simple, two of the four bolts that hold the headlamp are on top, then just remove the front grille and you have access to the other two. Which reminds me, I wonder if it's fallen off yet (I sold it last year, since I left it in SD with my folks). I broke a few of the bolts that hide behind the grille (completely rusted over), one of the headlamps is only being held by the top two bolts.

But man, the Fit with that headlamp housing looks nice.

For shits and giggles, you might be able to run the "R8 LEDs" in sequence too! That would definitely get people's attention.

I wonder if the chrome or the blacked looks better on the SSM Fit.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
I have chrome but they are still in the box. I have Teffeta White.

Last edited by FITMugen; 05-23-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
So I got a message regarding the projectors. I was going to repeat what I was told, but then I saw the link...

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-retrofit.html

In short it's an issue with the switching to high beam solenoid. I'm hoping it's just a few parts sticking and not ALL Morimoto Minis.

Still waiting to receive my Fit, this is "painful."

Old 07-07-2010, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
So yeah, I got my Fit over two weeks ago (6/21/10). Made my first loan payment last night. If I keep up the overpayment... I can pay it off in 14 months!

Anyway, this is the "Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination" section... and more specifically, my thread on headlights.

I bought the dual bulb setup. Alas, I went with chrome instead of the blacked out.

I figured the blacked out would be too much contrast against my SSM Fit. And that reminds me of the "ricer" look which I'm not too fond of. You'll never see me slapping on ten thousand brand stickers onto the car (or even one). Maybe the headlights still give off a bit of ricer look, but the way I see it, it's more like the dual bulb setup looks better than a single HUGE frog eye.

They arrived today... so, now it's time to do my headlight swap and the DIY front grille mesh. I could've done the mesh a week ago, but ifgured it'd be easier if the bumper is off... and decided to kill two birds with one stone (sorta).

(never mind ---> edit: anyone removed the bumper yet? I'm trying to figure out how to do it, before I do it. I usually wake up after noon and then have to go to work for the evening, which doesn't leave much time during most days. I'm too antsy to wait until monday (my day off the week). <--- nevermind)

Last edited by Goobers; 07-08-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:19 PM
If you really want an extra set of HID's, I'd have used the stock headlamp housings for the first set of bi-xenons, instead of experimenting with an unknown quantity like those aftermarket lamps. Then if you feel you need more light you've still got the foglight location to add another set.

But seeing as you already have the aftermarket housings, no harm in seeing how much work it will take.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
I bought the aftermarket housing because I wanted the dual bulb setup... I think it looks better than one massive reflector.

As for the HID, I have parts of three kits I could hobble together if I wanted. I was going through them on the 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder (uses H4 also).

I'm going to see how the light output is with just the halogen bulbs, especially in that "projector", but if past experience is any indicator, I might end up with HIDs anyway. When I "split" the housing on the 1997 Mitsubishi Mirage, the light didn't output much compared to everyone else. I couldn't find aftermarket dual bulb setups for the Pathfinder.

We shall see how it goes.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
Awwww dang. I'm stuck. I want to wire the six LEDs to flash in sequence with my turn signal. But it's been a long time since I did any electrical circuit work (one semester in high school/college?).

And then there's the second problem of having to splice into the turn signal wires for the LEDs, or splice into the parking light wires for the halos. WAHHHHH, I was hoping I didn't have to cut into the OE wiring.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:29 AM
5 Year Member
So yeah, like I said in the main GE8 section...

I spent the last 6 hours swapping out the headlight housing.

Problem #1 ) I expected, but was hoping I could avoid it... the turn signal bulb doesn't fit. Gonna have to see if the dealer has something that does fit.

Problem #2 ) It's a BIG problem... the upper mounts don't line up.
- the mount point in the back near the hood hinge doesn't extend far enough from the headlight. I Macgyver'd it by using some wiring to hook the loop to the bolt. By tightening it, I pulled the headlight so the overall look fits a bit better.
- the mount point by the upper grille is too far away from the headlight. There's so much plastic, I had to trim off chunks of it for the headlight to line up overall.
- the secondary mount, the one that attaches to the bumper and grille cover is too far "forward" and deep won't line up.

The way it is right now... it LOOKS like everything fits (minus the turn signal bulb)... but if you open up the hood, you'll see the issues clear as day.

Oh, I didn't wire up the LEDs or the halos... the wires are just slightly tucked in.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Awwww dang. I'm stuck. I want to wire the six LEDs to flash in sequence with my turn signal. But it's been a long time since I did any electrical circuit work (one semester in high school/college?)..
I am not sure that you can wire the LED to flash in sequence for this particular headlights. Since there are only one pair of wire for these LED.

And then there's the second problem of having to splice into the turn signal wires for the LEDs, or splice into the parking light wires for the halos. WAHHHHH, I was hoping I didn't have to cut into the OE wiring.
There is a video for this.
2008-2009 HONDA FIT R8 HALO LED BLK PROJECTOR HEADLIGHT: eBay Motors (item 140424559705 end time Jul-16-10 14:47:04 PDT)

Old 07-09-2010, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
So yeah, like I said in the main GE8 section...

I spent the last 6 hours swapping out the headlight housing.

Problem #1 ) I expected, but was hoping I could avoid it... the turn signal bulb doesn't fit. Gonna have to see if the dealer has something that does fit..
I think the headlights come with bulbs, at least mine were. So you cannot reuse EOM turn signal builbs but spice turn signal wires.

Problem #2 ) It's a BIG problem... the upper mounts don't line up.
- the mount point in the back near the hood hinge doesn't extend far enough from the headlight. I Macgyver'd it by using some wiring to hook the loop to the bolt. By tightening it, I pulled the headlight so the overall look fits a bit better.
- the mount point by the upper grille is too far away from the headlight. There's so much plastic, I had to trim off chunks of it for the headlight to line up overall.
- the secondary mount, the one that attaches to the bumper and grille cover is too far "forward" and deep won't line up.

The way it is right now... it LOOKS like everything fits (minus the turn signal bulb)... but if you open up the hood, you'll see the issues clear as day.

Oh, I didn't wire up the LEDs or the halos... the wires are just slightly tucked in.
I think your headlights are for JDM. I might be wrong.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
I think the headlights come with bulbs, at least mine were. So you cannot reuse EOM turn signal builbs but spice turn signal wires.
Nope, no turn signal bulbs or parking bulbs. It only came with the two headlight bulbs. I need to adjust the aim, either the driver's side goes down, or the other one goes up.

I think your headlights are for JDM. I might be wrong.
I was thinking the same thing.

I'm really bad at returning stuff, so I think I'll keep it.

While it's a little to shiny, I like the look.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:05 AM
5 Year Member
I am not sure that you can wire the LED to flash in sequence for this particular headlights. Since there are only one pair of wire for these LED.

There is a video for this.
2008-2009 HONDA FIT R8 HALO LED BLK PROJECTOR HEADLIGHT: eBay Motors (item 140424559705 end time Jul-16-10 14:47:04 PDT)
Sorry, I missed this post.

While the six LEDs are already wired together, I can just cut and separate them, they have enough length to do something with them (at least add extension wire).

I've seen that video. The headlight in that video is actually for some other car. It has a combo plug on one end that splits up and then runs to each of the lights (parking and turn lights). We don't have such a harness adapter. If I can get a sort of "extension" that plugs into where the bulbs normally would to extend it, then I'd buy it so I can splice into it. The reason is that, if I have to replace wiring for whatever I "mess up"... then a short little extension wire is MUCH easier (and cheaper) than massive electrical harness that runs around the engine bay and who knows where else.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
Pictures of the final installation, please.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Pictures of the final installation, please.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post882209

Old 07-11-2010, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
It looks nice. Excellent.

Is it possible that you can take pictures with HID on as well as R8 LED?

Old 07-11-2010, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
It looks nice. Excellent.

Is it possible that you can take pictures with HID on as well as R8 LED?
Sorry, I didn't put any HIDs in. Not sure if I will, they seem bright enough for now.

I didn't wire up the LEDs either. Maybe later, I'll get some AA batteries and just do some testing with the lights.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Well, that was a bust.

I ordered some parts for the turn signal and just got them today. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit. Not only does the socket adapter not fit the socket, it also doesn't plug into the wiring harness.

Maybe I'll make some connection to the LEDs.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
I know, I'm digging up an old thread... but I figure now is as good a time as any to post the message I sent to another member a while back about the issues with the headlights.

The first pic is a pic of the grille cover with no clip. The second is a look under the grille cover... you see that part of the headlight that has a mount for a bolt (standoff)? that doesn't line up with the holes in the bumper and grille cover. Behind that mount, you see a hole? And on the back side of the hole is a little sliver of plastic... it was thicker when I got it, I had to trim bits off to get the headlight to fit. You'll also notice deeper down, part of the chassis pushes on the housing behind where the high beam would be. I don't think it'll be a problem other than that.

MacGyver is my idol.