Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

GE: Map lights turn on with Dome?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
GE: Map lights turn on with Dome?

Has anyone done this yet? I thought we can easily do this if we tap the dome light to the map light over the ceiling.

Thoughts?

Old 11-18-2012, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kitkit201
Has anyone done this yet? I thought we can easily do this if we tap the dome light to the map light over the ceiling.

Thoughts?
Unless you want to permanently tie the map lights to the dome lights, its not that simple. Putting both on the same circuit in series, will mean, BOTH have to be ON at the same time. And if either is off, neither will come on.

Putting them in parallel, won't actually change anything, since they are already wired as such.

If you want the map lights to retain SOME independence (being able to use it without turning on the dome lights while driving), you'd have to disconnect the internal switch of the map light ad set up a sort of dual circuit for that light. One will power the light if the dome is ON, the other will power the circuit when the switch is toggled. Most likely via a relay between the switch and the light.

But, with that being said... why would you want to do this? The dome is sufficient for a quick idea of what's in the car. Then if you really need to see anything in the front, pop ON the front map lights WHEN needed.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kitkit201

Thoughts?
There was a few (atleast 2-3) DIY's back when the GE8 first got released in 08. I can't find any of them right now using the search (been trying for a while). There was also a few for the GD's iirc using maplights off different Honda's.

It's a quite simple mod, and well worth it if it suits you.
I replaced my map light with the TSX maplight with sunglass holder, and tapped the new map light circuit using the dome exactly as shown in Zalthras DIY ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ort-w-nav.html
One of my favorite mods, and since the new map light has on/off/on with door open, I can adjust the setting to when the lights come on just as the dome. And, they still work independently of each other.

There's some more info here but most the pic links are dead. ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...t-base-ge.html

Old 11-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
interesting... but considering the tiny battery our cars have, not sure if it's worth the hassle?

Old 11-26-2012, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
It's a very easy mod. Run one wire from the dome light over to the map light. Tap the black wire on the dome light an plug it into the right most plug of the map light. I had some extra pig tails laying around that I canibalized that fit right into the oem harness. I used a coat hanger and some masking tape to run the wire back