Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Multi-Color Foot Well Illumination - pics and video

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 08:45 AM
Multi-Color Foot Well Illumination - pics and video

Hi guys, wanted to share what I did with my sunday off. I'll post some more pics of the wiring when I get home.

I picked up a set of these multi-colored led's from pep boys (had a giftcard) and wired them into the dome light harness so that they would come on when the doors open, unlock the car, ect... Then I decided that I wanted manual control as well so I picked up a SPDT switch from radio shack and wired it up so that one ground went right to the body and the other to the oem dome light harness. This way the switch works identical to the dome light switch. OFF/Doors/ON)

Name:  ffgQNKa.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  2.13 MB
Name:  YYJhmfZ.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  749.0 KB

And here's a video, gives you a better idea of what it looks like and how it functions.

Last edited by rigwig; 06-30-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Question on how you did this

First, just wanted to say, this is awesome, thanks for posting the pic and video!

I have a question though. You mention you "wired them into the dome light harness." Does that mean you actually connected them in to the dome light piece itself or that you connected it into the dome light circuit at the fuse box? Did it have instructions on how to do that? And did you have to add a wire that went from the dome light harness down to the footwells to get this to work?

I'm thinking of doing something similar myself but I might put strip lights across the ceiling instead, was curious if you'd have insight. Thanks!

Old 09-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by nataelj
First, just wanted to say, this is awesome, thanks for posting the pic and video!

I have a question though. You mention you "wired them into the dome light harness." Does that mean you actually connected them in to the dome light piece itself or that you connected it into the dome light circuit at the fuse box? Did it have instructions on how to do that? And did you have to add a wire that went from the dome light harness down to the footwells to get this to work?

I'm thinking of doing something similar myself but I might put strip lights across the ceiling instead, was curious if you'd have insight. Thanks!
Thanks! I have since actually connected led's under the driver and passenger seats for the rear foot wells as well.

As for making them come on with the dome, I just tapped into the wires at the fuse box, no need to run it all the way from the dome

I based the circut off of the of the instructions in this post
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ome-light.html

then added a 2 way switch so that they can either come on when the dome comes on, or always be on. When I get a moment, I can try to draw how I wired the switch in paint lol. Hope that helps some though.