Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

LED lights with Dome Ligh AND Switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:20 PM
LED lights with Dome Ligh AND Switch

Ok, I already have 2 strips of LEDs in my footwell that come on whith the dome light. However, I was wondering if anyone knew of a way so that I can have a switch that would turn them on while the dome light switch is off AND so that if I open my door the lights will still come on with the Dome light and have the switch off. Anyone have any ideas?

What I really want is it:
Dome off +switch off = no light
Dome off + switch on = light
Dome on + switch OFF = light

Any ideas?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
This is just a guess but try:

Run a second ground from the LEDS through a switch then to the chassis. The default ground wire on the dome is switched by default and the car turns it on and off when you open the doors.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
i thought of a concept to use on my car that asks for similar results.

i plan on hooking the lights up to a 3-way switch. The first wire to plug in is the one that powers the dome light (negative is the one that is turning on/off). the second one is a ground wire (constant on results).

Then these are run to whatever i want WITH a fuse between the light and the switch.

this setup gives: Option to run lights with the dome light, so it turns off and on with the dome light BUT since im connecting it to the connections in the fuse box, the switch on the dome light will NOT affect the my setup. This is the first on position.

Then of course there is the off position, dome light to whatever current setting and my setup off.

then there is the constant on connection connected to the ground. This just means constant on my setup, dome light switch does not affect it.

good enough for you? Plus there is an exellent spot to place a switch next to the power mirror switch

Old 04-17-2010, 05:44 AM
hey accordguyintake if i wanna do the same way you have to add another switch to the dome light would i need a 3-way or would a 2-way rocket switch would

also on your 3-way switch did you add the power and negative wires from the dome to the switch and ran another negative wire to car metal?

also did your set up work like this

Dome off +switch off = no light
Dome off + switch on = light
Dome on + switch OFF = light

hit me back asap.....thanks