Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Running grounds to toggle switch instead of +

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Running grounds to toggle switch instead of +

I basically asked this question in my other thread but it is pretty buried so wanted to start fresh here.

Is there an issue with running ground to an on/off/on toggle switch as opposed to power? Example: I am wanting to wire my footwell LEDs to a switch, want one side of the switch to be dome light operation and the other side of the switch to be able to turn them on at will.

So the ground pin on the illuminated door sill circuit is connected to one side, negative from LEDs to the middle prong, then ground to frame on the other side (third prong). The positive from the LEDs are connected to 12v constant power with in line fuse.

Is this safe to do? Reason I ask is I am having trouble getting the dome light functionality with the LEDs. I currently have the power from the illuminated sill pin connected to a switch with positive from LEDs also connected to the switch, LEDs are grounded to car. Without incorporating the negative of the dome light/illuminated sill pin it just stays on constant, I assume the negative of the dome/sill completes the circuit when doors are opened and whatnot.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Name:  XNIXmgn.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  691.7 KB

Like this

Old 09-03-2015, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Went ahead and did this. Seems to work fine. Fades with dome light and can be on whenever I choose.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:15 PM
Switching the ground is quite common in car circuits. It makes no difference so far as the switch is concerned. It sounds like you're just fine.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrewE
Switching the ground is quite common in car circuits. It makes no difference so far as the switch is concerned. It sounds like you're just fine.
Thank you.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:30 PM
I just installed LEDs that trigger with the dome lights but now I want to incorporate a switch too. When I wire it like you have shown I am just worried that I will leave the LEDs on all the time. I wish I could have the lights come on with the dome light, but I could override that with a switch that is only powered with accessory power, so they still go off if the car is off.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by simonx314
I just installed LEDs that trigger with the dome lights but now I want to incorporate a switch too. When I wire it like you have shown I am just worried that I will leave the LEDs on all the time. I wish I could have the lights come on with the dome light, but I could override that with a switch that is only powered with accessory power, so they still go off if the car is off.
I've left them on a few times by mistake, they don't draw enough power to come close to draining your battery so I wouldn't worry about it. (If that was your concern

Old 12-31-2015, 08:00 AM
Ok thanks. Ya my battery draining is what I was worried about.