Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Daytime Running Light bulb options

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 07:28 PM
Question Daytime Running Light bulb options

Hello all,

I'm new around here - I've browsed search results for DRL threads, but haven't found the answer I'm looking for. I love my new Fit, however something that has been mildly irritating to me is the yellowish look of my daytime running lights. My fit is white and I feel like the yellowish tint does not compliment the car and makes it look older/dirtier than it is. That being said, I don't need ultra bright DRLs that make my car obnoxious either. Ideally I am looking for something with a clean white or slight bluish tint.

Any suggestions? What are you guys using for your DRL bulbs?

Old 12-27-2014, 07:35 PM
Your lights look yellow because they are using less voltage than the low beams and high beams. I'm not an electrician, but from what I understand, there is no way around it. Sucks, but you just have to deal with it. Or you could pull the DRL fuse and not have DRLs anymore. If you're required to have them you could do what luismycorreo and I did in our Fits (his a second gen, mine a first) and retrofit your turn signals with switchbacks and wire them to some fuse that always receives power when the ignition is on.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:10 PM
As DWils alluded to, the DRL system uses the high beam headlight filament at reduced power. The DRL bulb is the headlight bulb. The only way around that would be to do some rather involved modifications to the lights and wiring to have separate lamps for DRL and headlights, which is obviously a lot more involved than replacing a bulb.

You could, i suppose, replace the headlight bulb with a bluish halogen headlight bulb. Most such bulbs are not really good as headlights, though; they produce less light and/or last less long than normal headlights (because the blue color filters out some of the light ouptut), and the bluish tint does not improve your ability to see things well at night, even though it sometimes looks brighter or whiter subjectively. I doubt it would make a huge difference it the DRL appearance.