Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

LED Replacement Headlamp Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Halogen bulbs 300 to 1000 hours. The higher performance ones will be down in the 300 to 400 hour range.
LEDs 10,000+ hours, maybe.

I was looking at LED headlight bulbs a couple years ago but backed away because of how bad they were. There were a lot of comparisons on YouTube where people buy a bunch of different LED bulbs from different manufacturers and then test them in one particular car which takes that kind of bulb. The light pattern spread was all over the map. Some are too white, some will blind oncoming drivers, some won't provide any better lighting down the road than the OEM halogens you're already using. It seems like you get a bunch of two bit small time manufacturers (and yes, typically Chinese) who quickly design something and then start trying to sell it. They don't actually test their products out on real cars in real environments..

Old 06-27-2019, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by woof
Halogen bulbs 300 to 1000 hours. The higher performance ones will be down in the 300 to 400 hour range.
LEDs 10,000+ hours, maybe.

I was looking at LED headlight bulbs a couple years ago but backed away because of how bad they were. There were a lot of comparisons on YouTube where people buy a bunch of different LED bulbs from different manufacturers and then test them in one particular car which takes that kind of bulb. The light pattern spread was all over the map. Some are too white, some will blind oncoming drivers, some won't provide any better lighting down the road than the OEM halogens you're already using. It seems like you get a bunch of two bit small time manufacturers (and yes, typically Chinese) who quickly design something and then start trying to sell it. They don't actually test their products out on real cars in real environments..

this is why i am very hesitant to try out LEDs... i was hoping that someone could recommend me some LEDs that they were happy with =D

Old 06-27-2019, 06:06 PM
i was looking around found this;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291...3-a3fb7c644f3b

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...0-d3bc3507d1ca

they all look okay but the price vary.. i will post if i do end up buying one of them

Old 06-27-2019, 06:34 PM
Old 06-28-2019, 12:37 AM
If you guys are keen, i've installed IPL X2 H4 LED lights into my 2019 Jazz. Extremely happy with the cutoff. There are plenty of good reviews on their local websites.

Got it from Amazon Japan. Will post pictures when I have them!

https://www.amazon.co.jp/IPF-%E3%83%...-2-spons&psc=1

Old 06-28-2019, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by ryanlionrawr
If you guys are keen, i've installed IPL X2 H4 LED lights into my 2019 Jazz. Extremely happy with the cutoff. There are plenty of good reviews on their local websites.

Got it from Amazon Japan. Will post pictures when I have them!

https://www.amazon.co.jp/IPF-%E3%83%...-2-spons&psc=1

that looksl like solid LED head bulb ... the only thing is, its pretty expesnive heheheh its coming from Japan, which means the quality should be very good.

Quick questino thought; what is difference between the term H4 and 9003 ?

i see that for GK5, headlight fits H4 but does it has to be also 9003 as well?

i got confused because on the owner's manual, it doesn't say anything about 9003.. it only says 60/55W (H4LL/HB2LL , H4/HB2),

Old 06-28-2019, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
It's all bureaucratic semantics.

H4 was the first halogen headlamp bulb that could contain both low- and high-beam filaments.

When US automakers wanted to use them in vehicles for the US market, the DOT found that the schematics for H4 allowed for too much variance in the location of the filaments

A new blueprint was made, with all the electrical and dimensional properties the same, but with stricter limits on filament placement variance. The maximum allowable light output tolerance was also reduced. This new bulb specification was called “9003/HB2”.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:24 PM
ohh okay so 9003/hb2 is newer way of referring to H4 bulb

Old 06-28-2019, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Or think about it as "U.S. spec H4"

Old 06-28-2019, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
The same question bothered me a while back and the answer I found, I believe in wiki, was:

H-4 was the original spec as released in Europe and used in the US in motorcycles. When the DOT considered allowing them in automobiles, the decided the tolerance for filament location needed to be tightened. The new spec was called 9003. Today nearly all bulbs are manufactured to the same spec and H4 and 9003 are used interchangeably.

which is pretty much what bdcheung has said.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:46 PM
perfecttt thank you guys for clearing it out for me.

my hunt for LED light continues..

Old 06-29-2019, 01:11 AM
Here are some photos as promised!

These are rated at 6500K but it's closer to 6000K.

If you are intending to go out for LEDs in any reflector housing, my suggestion is not to cheap out on it.

Been experimenting with different types of headlights in cars and motorcycles and so far, IPF X2 nailed it with the retrofit better than any brand so far (especially the Philips Xtreme Ultinons)

RHD Low beam

High beam

Taken just above the Honda emblem

RHD Low beam cut off

Old 06-30-2019, 08:57 PM
Photos I promised..

Originally Posted by silverrose12
that looksl like solid LED head bulb ... the only thing is, its pretty expesnive heheheh its coming from Japan, which means the quality should be very good.

Quick questino thought; what is difference between the term H4 and 9003 ?

i see that for GK5, headlight fits H4 but does it has to be also 9003 as well?

i got confused because on the owner's manual, it doesn't say anything about 9003.. it only says 60/55W (H4LL/HB2LL , H4/HB2),

RHD Low beam

High beam

Taken at hip level

Old 07-02-2019, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Has anyone tried these in their Fit? This seems to be superbrightleds' brightest H4 bulb. They claim 2500 lumens each and a color temperature of 6500 K without any of the adhesive film sleeves stuck on. It's not clear where that 2500 lumen number is coming from. Is that the high beam filament, the low beam filament, or the total of the 2 filaments? From a conversation with a representative: he said the lamps may or may not light when supplied with the car's daytime running light pulse width modulated voltage but that neither the lamps nor the car's electronics would be harmed by supplying the lamps with that voltage. He said if they do light up most likely it would be at the same brightness as they would have at 12-14 volts.

I have a flashlights that changes brightness when you turn it off then back on. I wonder if there are LED headlamps that can do that?

Old 07-23-2019, 11:29 AM
chiming in again since I have become dissapointed with my replacement LED bulbs ( These ) DRL are fine, no flicker, but i feel the projected brightness isnt out as far as I want, and the close in fill isnt as good as I want them to be. I have really noticed it a lot more driving in places where there are no streetlights and hardly any other cars next to me that seem to enhance my cars lighting.

I probably can adjust them, but I am scared to raise the cutoff any higher for fear of blinding oncoming traffic. I light even just pick up bright halogens to compare to make sure im not being dense ..

Old 08-13-2019, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ercdvs
chiming in again since I have become dissapointed with my replacement LED bulbs ( These ) DRL are fine, no flicker, but i feel the projected brightness isnt out as far as I want, and the close in fill isnt as good as I want them to be. I have really noticed it a lot more driving in places where there are no streetlights and hardly any other cars next to me that seem to enhance my cars lighting.

I probably can adjust them, but I am scared to raise the cutoff any higher for fear of blinding oncoming traffic. I light even just pick up bright halogens to compare to make sure im not being dense ..
Interesting. They rate those at 4000 lumens per set, (that is 2000 lumens for each of the lamps, which means only 1000 lumen for each "filament substitute), for each of the 3 LED units that substitute for a filamnet). I think the standard halogens are rated at more than 1000 lumens per filament, making them brighter than these LED units.

The top of the line superbrightled h4 headlamp, the one I mention in my msg above, is rated by superbrightleds at 5000 lumens total for the 2 lamps. 1250 for each filament, about the same as each filament in a halogen. I'm still searching for the exact info on halogen filaments.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
Here is someone who says he actually tested the actual wattage, of different H4 halogen bulbs, at different voltages, (12, 12.5, and 13.2 volts) . And who tested their actual lumens.

This is one of few places where the person sounds like he actually knows what he is doing.

I understand how volts, watts, and amps work, and their relationships, but I don't understand how lumens work, what exactly 1 lumen means in terms of light output. I'm not sure how to interpret the claims made by superbrighleds.com but I get the feeling they are giving more honest info than that claimed for many other brands such as those sold on Amazon or ebay. I am not at all sure sure but I suspect that lumen info is not useful unless you state how many lumens there are at what distance from the emitter, and comparisons may be useless unless you compare the lumens of one bulb with the lumens of another, when they are both measured at the same distance from the bulb's light emitter.

For whatever it is worth, I post this link.

Check out "raw vs effective" lumens. Those LED "filaments" with 1000 "raw" lumens each, put out an effective 600 lumens? So compare that to a halogen that puts out 900 lumens on hgiht beam, 600 lumens on low beam. Are those effective lumens? Probably. Making the LEDs no brighter than the halogens. I suppose I could be wrong. But if it is so, then if you got these superbrightleds, selling at $79.95, they would be be just a tiny bit brighter than halogen lamps. Noticeably brighter but not "alot" brighter.

Also note, that with an H4 lamp, only 1 of its 2 filaments goes on at a time. With halogens, the high beam is brighter, about 1.5 times as bright as the low beam. But with the superbrightled H4, the high beam is the same brightness as the low beam. Each "filament" seems to be composed of the same 3 or 4 leds.

Last edited by nomenclator; 08-13-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:40 PM
after doing a little bit more reading, i have decided to stay away from LED for a little while.

I dun think there is any good single LED headlights that i use due to various factors...

Old 08-14-2019, 05:37 PM
Anyone try these? They have the aluminum heat fins on the back not sure of fitment though,

Old 08-17-2019, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Anyone try these? They have the aluminum heat fins on the back not sure of fitment though,
Those seem to be superbrightleds.com's brightest lamps. 6000 lumens total. So each "filament" would be 1500 lumens, as compared to a halogen lamps 900 high beam 600 low beam lumens. Assuming the company isn't exaggerating. I was wonderting too, if there would be enough room for the fins.

The co provides a CRI spec, of 74, which suggests that things illuminated by the lamps should look pretty close to the way they do in natural light. Unusual for co to provide this spec.

" Each headlight bulb has 2 rows of LEDs that are activated individually for high- or low-beam settings. Only 1 row of LEDs is in use at any given time, and intensity is the same for both sets."

I think "rows" must the the wrong word here. Pictures suggests that each unit has 16 LEDs, 8 for the low beam, and 8 for the high beam. But the 8 LEDs for each beam would not be arranged in a row, There would 4 LEDs on one side of the board, and 4 on the other side of the board.

I spoke to a superbrightleds.com representative on the phone about this unit. Take what he said with a grain of salt, but he said that the pulse-width modulated voltage from the car's electrical system that is supplied to the high beam "filaments" to provide a DRL function would cause the high beam LEDs to light up, but the would be the same brightness as they would be at 12 volts. He also claimed that the pulse width modulated voltage would not damage the lamps, nor would the lamps cause any damage to the car's electrical system.

Interestingly, for these 2 lamps, one described as 5000 lumens for the pair of lamps, and the other as 6000 lumens, they use the same exact pair of comparison photos when comparing their LED headlamps with ordinary halogen headlamps. So much for their honesty in regard to what the photos show.

Last edited by nomenclator; 08-17-2019 at 04:03 PM.

Quick Reply: LED Replacement Headlamp Bulbs