Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Speaker upgrade worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Speaker upgrade worth it?

Im going to be buying a 2008 Fit Sport early next year. I know it has a 200W MP3 cd player...which i plan to keep. I was wondering if it's worth upgrading the speakers...or do the stock ones sound good. I like the sound to sound rich in bass while still being able to hear mid range and treble. Thanks fellow Fit Freaks.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:48 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I remember the Fit's current stock system as very sufficient. You may hear worse SQ if u upgrade the speakers without properly amping them with it.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:49 AM
Changing out the factory speakers is always a good start, If you like alot of bass without wanting to invest too much coin I'd very much reccomend putting in some Alpine Type-R 2 ways in the door and leaving your factory tweeter. They are very bassy while maintaining good midrange clarity.

A better improvement would be to change the radio and front speakers.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:53 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Injundon
Changing out the factory speakers is always a good start, If you like alot of bass without wanting to invest too much coin I'd very much reccomend putting in some Alpine Type-R 2 ways in the door and leaving your factory tweeter. They are very bassy while maintaining good midrange clarity.

A better improvement would be to change the radio and front speakers.
tr00f.com!

but changing the speakers alone will not give the speaker's full potential as stock HU pumps out a max of 15w per speaker when the Type-R's ask for 50W RMS. You gota amp up the power to see the Type-R's come to life.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I agree, I wouldn't expect to see a huge gain in actual clarity unless you swap out the HU. But with that said the biggest noticible difference you would experience would be in the lower and higher sound range where the Alpines would be more responsive than the stock speakers. It would give the effect of a more rich sound and deeper bass so IMO I think it is worth it. Watch out for salesmen that try to tell you you will "burn your voice coil out if you don't run the rated RMS"... that is pure and utter BS. lol, makes as much sense as "Don't turn down the volume, you will burn the voice coils!". Haha, just mentioning it because that happened to me over at A&B Sound when me and a freind went in to pick up two sets of Alpine-R speakers.

I agree and disagree about the amp; this is just my opinion, it has always been a love hate relationship with mid-range amps for me. It isn't a bad thing to run speakers at a much lower RMS than they are rated for as long as you arn't straining your deck amp to the max. If you deck is cranked to 90% volume, then it is time for an amp. I would also say in cases where you have pre-outs on the deck and the deck amp is garbage you can use a mid range amp to clean up the sound.

As an example the last system I used I had a front and rear set of 5-1/4" Phoenix Gold Octane R compenents www.phoenixgold.com | Products | Speakers | which were rated somewhere around 50RMS/100peak. I ran them off the deck (JVC SHX750 JVC | Canada | Product Detail - KD-SHX750) and they sounded phenominal. You wouldn't believe how much low and high range sound those little speakers can put out. My deck only runs about 22RMS/54Peak and they were loud enough to go above and beyond what I needed (with crystal clarity I might add) to balance out with the subs. I ran them in conjunction with two Alpine R-Type 10's powered off of a source of 600RMS/1000Peak. I will note, I have a very nice 4-chan mid-range amp rated at 50/100 chan sitting around. But I usually use it for larger speakers like 6's or 6x9's rated at higher wattage. I credit JVC and PG, but my own philosophy for speakers has always been to run them on lower cleaner power to get the best sound.

lol, anyway have fun dude. It sometimes takes a while to figure out what works best for you.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-31-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the info. Ill probably just stick with the stock speakers anyways. Also, who makes the speakers and what sizes are they.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:10 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
I had a local shop install a 2 channel 150w amp and a 12 inch sub in a small box and it fills in the missing bass nicely.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:11 AM
OEM speakers are manufactured by some OEM outsource company in CHina. They are 6.5's in the front doors.