Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Sound Deadening

Old 11-27-2007, 06:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by J_L
This really works. I stuffed two bags of the pillow material in these locations and was amazed how much road noise was reduced. Took all of 15 minutes.
Awesome! If you want some more quick results - make sure you stuff some in your center console area - that helps out a lot as well.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
Is there a recommended spot to stuff it into the console from?
Thanks for all the ideas

Old 12-06-2007, 03:45 PM
So... anyone figure out how much eDead UE to buy? I'm thinking of doing all this stuff (thanks AppleMac*Fit!) on my free time next month so I'm trying to gather up all the materials.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by runbikerun
Is there a recommended spot to stuff it into the console from?
Thanks for all the ideas
Just pull up the center console... it's really easy to do. Then tilt up the console, stuff the underside with the batting, and put the console back into place.

There's a ton of noise coming from this area. You'll notice an immediate difference by stuffing the console with batting.

Have fun!

Old 12-07-2007, 12:25 AM
just deadened the entire floor and rear hatch. used 55 sqft of Raammat and about 50 sqft of closed-cell neoprone. took 2 full 8 hour days, but a very good result.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the ideas. My car is getting quieter every night.
Is there a brand of undercoating that is recomended over others?

Old 12-15-2007, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by runbikerun
Thanks for the ideas. My car is getting quieter every night.
Is there a brand of undercoating that is recomended over others?
No - just make sure it says "Rubberized Undercoating". The non-rubberized undercoating does not dry completely.

The only two brands I've seen are Mar-Hyde and 3M... I've used both on my car with equally good results. However, the 3M stuff is more money.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member
I have a dumb question. Is there a better tool than a screwdriver to remove the door panel clips?
I got one off tonight and installed edead and neoprene. I can't wait to get the other doors done.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
AppleMacFit,

Great info! Thanks. I had been doing some sound deadening before, mainly in the doors and the rear hatch. I'd been using Damplifier (cheaper than Dynamat) and some closed cell foam from Super Soundproofing Co. Both have a self-adhesive backing and are moisture proof.

I did gain a lot of bass response from the stock speakers and a big reduction in noise from the doors, but as you had noted, there was a big benefit from insulating the rear wheel well area and side panels. I removed my panels and applied the foam and Damplifier. I had a hard time getting it all back together as the foam was a little bit too thick.

Now, I have to attack the front of the car as I'm getting a lot of noise from the engine and road from that area. The rear is pretty much done. I think I'm going to do the same thing with the Damplifier and foam and hope that I can get the carpet back in afterwards.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
i used to use this foam i got from a buddy of mine. and in the rear quarter panels it would expand then harder. i noticed stiffening of the chasis...and reduced road noise. i havnt gotten around to doing my fit becuase i want to keep it light weight. but when i had my integra. i used edead v1se2 from Elementaldesigns.com. and that stuff works great. i did the entire car. from the hatch all the way to the hood. then what i did was i second coated the rear with the edead v3 paint.and i had a gun so i just sprayed the whole rear of the car to help miss the spots i had troubled with ...from rolling the deadening on.

man i was rocking there 19ov(18") sub powered by their nine1 amp. 1000rms with no rattles. it was stupid loud, that was back then when i just wanted to be different and when i went to meet, i could show off the big ass sub in the rear.

but i did notice more response from the components and the tweeters. it seem more thumpy and clear sounding aswell.

maybe if i dont decide to keep it light weight and go all show, ill do the entire fit.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
I'm pushing 140+ right now. I can off-set the extra weight of the sound deadener by going on a diet!!

Old 01-01-2008, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member
holy shit ...thats alot of deadening.

100sqft of edead is only 50 lbs. holy jeebus.

i can only imaging what you have for sound deadening. straight tar?

Old 01-01-2008, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Oops! Sorry! I was referring to my weight and not the deadening material!

I figure I added about 10 lbs to the car so far, which I can lose off of myself!

Old 01-01-2008, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
AppleMacFit,

How'd you get the hood insulator clips off? I have a clip removal kit, but the first clip I tried to remove just broke off when I tried to pull it straight off.

Thanks.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
I just pulled on it, while prying up from the underside of it with a small flat-head screwdriver. Also - you can purchase replacement clips at the autoparts store. I haven't broke one yet...

Old 01-01-2008, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kusojiji
Oops! Sorry! I was referring to my weight and not the deadening material!

I figure I added about 10 lbs to the car so far, which I can lose off of myself!
Yeah - 140 lbs. I was wondering if you added bullet-proof glass or something

Old 01-01-2008, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info on the clips. I'm going to have to buy a few clips before doing this.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by J_L
This really works. I stuffed two bags of the pillow material in these locations and was amazed how much road noise was reduced. Took all of 15 minutes.
ditto this. i was really suprised! looking forward to doing more sound deadening. thanks!!

Old 01-11-2008, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raton
ditto this. i was really suprised! looking forward to doing more sound deadening. thanks!!
No problem.

My wife was skeptical, until she rode in my car. Next thing I knew I was doing the same to he Honda Civic.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
when buying the batting/pillow material make sure you choose the non flamable type. If you get the flamable type that is like gasoline and a match if the wiring starts a fire(accident or what not) so make sure you protect yourself with the right material. I was looking at the stuff and it's very flamable due to the oxygen it allows inbetween the material (fluffy) and the volitility of the material being cotton like material.

just a FYI

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sound Deadening