Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Sound Deadening

Old 05-03-2008, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
I've been sound deadening my car for the past couple days, now quite to the extent as radareclipse, but I'm pretty satisfied with the results thusfar. I'm not done yet and have been using cheaper materials. Here is my car with the sound deadening and liquid eDead installed, and then with carpet padding with a moisture barrier installed.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
That felt in some areas might keep the factory carpet from going in tight. You'll know when you put it back in. Looks good!

Old 05-03-2008, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't run my RCA and remote turn-on wires yet so I haven't installed the rear seats or most of the trim, but I did install the carpet and front seats. The carpet seems to fit fine. I read what you said about the covers for the back seats, haven't put those on, hopefully I cut off enough carpet padding. I had a problem with connecting the front of the carpet together. The carpet in the front connects under the dash with velcro, I've yet to get the carpet from the passanger side to the drivers side. I'll try using a ruler or something to push it through, but it didn't look so easy. Any suggestions? Nice setup by the way.

Thanks,

Josh

Old 05-03-2008, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
I don't remember that part. Yeah, those pieces where the back seat clamps into, I had to notch out the dampening material after the fact. Honda didn't leave much for extra thickness under those plastic trim pieces.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
Wow! Good job edjosh23! Do you know how much weight the liquid eDead adds? I know the Butyl matte stuff could add at least 10-15 lbs.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by radareclipse
...I remember getting a special tool to remove or disconnect the passenger front seat belt away from the seat. It's been a year since I did it. I'll probably start a new thread breaking down the doors and deadening those.
Do you need that "special tool" to remove the front passenger seat? If yes...where can I get it?...From AutoZone, Checker, or the Honda dealership? Thanks.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
I didn't need a special tool althought the passenger seat was a !@#$% to take out. The trick I found is to disconnect the wires, then unbolt the seat track (4 bolts). Remove the seat from the car (yes the seatbelt is still connected to the car) and place the seat next to the car with the right side of the seat facing the car (seat facing back of car). Remove the plastic cover around where the seatbelt connects (little cover). There you will see a 14mm bolt and a star bolt. Remove those, and jiggle the SRS device out of the small opening.

Edit: If you look in the picture of my car you can see the SRS piece sitting on the floor.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by edjosh23
I didn't need a special tool althought the passenger seat was a !@#$% to take out. The trick I found is to disconnect the wires, then unbolt the seat track (4 bolts). Remove the seat from the car (yes the seatbelt is still connected to the car) and place the seat next to the car with the right side of the seat facing the car (seat facing back of car). Remove the plastic cover around where the seatbelt connects (little cover). There you will see a 14mm bolt and a star bolt. Remove those, and jiggle the SRS device out of the small opening.

Edit: If you look in the picture of my car you can see the SRS piece sitting on the floor.
Great! Thanks edjosh...no special tool...that's good to hear. Did you take out the seats by yourself or did you have a 2nd pair of hands to help you? And about that liquid eDead...did it add a lot of weight?

Old 05-04-2008, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member
I was able to do it by myself, just have to be careful not to hit the door with the track when pulling them out. That was made easier by positioning the seat in the middle of the track before removing.

Not sure how much the liquid eDead weighs, a little more than regular paint. I've added almost a full gallon.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by edjosh23
I was able to do it by myself, just have to be careful not to hit the door with the track when pulling them out. That was made easier by positioning the seat in the middle of the track before removing.

Not sure how much the liquid eDead weighs, a little more than regular paint. I've added almost a full gallon.
Cool! Thanks again! Good luck with your sound deadening! Cone of Silence!!...with a pumpin' sound system!

Last edited by raton; 05-04-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:52 PM
subscribed

Old 03-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX
wow, u did pretty much everything one can think of. I've only done a couple of those things, but not even complete. I need more pillow stuffing.

Are you still on stock tires? getting quieter tires also help a ton! stock tires for the suck. Kumho ASX and General Exclaim UHP's are the 2 quietest ones i've tried. UHP's are ranked #1 on Tirerack in their category. I liked them so much, i'm using them on 3 cars, including replacing my new saleen's tires the 4th day i owned it. UHP's are also surprisingly cheap and GREAT performing for dry and wet conditions. Absolutely love'em!
+1 on the ASX. I put them on my girls lexus and my lil bro's civic, and they are very quiet, and handle well in all conditions. The lexus used to get tail happy from having a V8 RWD, and now it doesn't let out in the rain like it used to.

I wanted to use the expanding foam in the hood, and spray on deadener on the bottom, with hopes that it will prevent underbody rust on a high mileage car. I have a 100ft roll of dynamat, so when I have time, I am gonna pull the carpet and spare tire and line as much of that as i can. The only problem is Dynamat is pretty heavy. The pics aren't working but I wanted to see if someone could post up the pillow filling stuff and where you put it. I would probably use PolyFill with flame retardant tho.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
hi!
i want to add the "rubber washer for the front shock absorbers"

but my question: is possible a danger about release the shock absorbers nut to put the washer? im afraid to release it and create a problem during the procedure

im thinking to made the washer with a cut so it can be get in position without release the nut all the way to avoid a problematic release of the shock absorber

or is no danger?

thanks

Old 04-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if you are going to remove the nut on the piston shaft off the car, then yes, you will need to use a spring compressor. if it's still on the car, then no, as the weight of the car will keep the spring compressed.

here's wat they look like:
Advanced Tool Design Model ATD-7561 MacPherson Strut Spring Compressor : Amazon.com : Automotive Advanced Tool Design Model ATD-7561 MacPherson Strut Spring Compressor : Amazon.com : Automotive

OEM 25550 Strut Spring Compressor - Amazon.com OEM 25550 Strut Spring Compressor - Amazon.com

Old 12-08-2014, 07:16 AM
5 Year Member
Kicking this thread, lots of good info!

Old 12-09-2014, 04:25 AM
5 Year Member
Been a while since I last wrote.

I put Thermo-Tec Thermo-Guard FR heat shields between the floor and carpet and between the door panels and door and it made a world of difference inside my tin-can Suzuki Every wagon. I put the shiny side out.

I had a bunch of closed cell foam before, but it didn't really work. When you put this stuff up against your head, you can really tell the difference between it and the closed cell foam for damping out sound.

It is light weight, easy to install with aluminum tape (to close the gaps and seal the heat out), but very hard to cut.