WTB - sound deadening material

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up WTB - sound deadening material

WTB - sound deading material in the socal area - if you have any left over.

looking specifically for the metal backed with the sticky butane black stuff.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
If name brand isn't your concern i would recommend going the Lowes / Home Depot route. I went to Lowes and bought 3 rolls of Peel and Seal (or Peel and Stickfor about $14 each. It's the sticky butane stuff with the aluminum backing.

Did all 4 doors and couldn't tell that big of a difference. I did notice that the door shut with a more hefty "thud" versus the more hollow sound before. I also covered up the large holes in the door's sheet metal, which probably helped with filtering out exterior sound. I then did the spare tire well and couldn't notice that much difference either. It wasn't until I did the rear passenger floor did I notice a difference. Not so much because of the deadening material, but because I also bought a big sheet of 3/4 foam carpet padding. I used some cut the foam padding to size, then applied it on top of the Peel and Stick that I already layed down. I used some 3M adhesive spray to stick it. I applied it in the spare tire well and passenger floor. This is when I noticed the rear was a lot quieter. No more road noise drone on the freeways. Most of the noise I have now is from the floorboard and wheel wells in the front seat area. I haven't had the time to sound deaden up there yet due to time consumption of removing the front seats. Probably cost me like $50 to do the entire car so far.

GL!