Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Poor AM/FM reception

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Just tightening down the mast, turn it clockwise a little.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
I don't get why people don't just try the Toyota ones.... >.>

If you catch NOTHING, then it's stock wiring problems. but a loss in some distant stations is more than likely requiring a change...

Old 05-22-2008, 11:17 PM
I guess you didn't read my post about the bad reception. Easy fix, just cut the power wire that runs to the antenna booster and you will solve all your problems. That is all I did and now I get all my stations again. Someone needs to try to find where the power to the anntenna boster is located in the fuse panel, would be really easy to fix it then, just cut the wire and all done I agree that it's crap we have to deal with this also. My car had 1500 miles on it when I gutted it to cut the power lead on the antenna booster. I'm still on the stinking break in oil!

Old 07-16-2010, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Hi there,

Bringing up an old thread I know. I know there's other threads that deal with this issue and I've pretty much read them all.

I recently installed an aftermarket HU and the radio reception has gone to crap. Yes, I listen to radio on top of my own tunes - what can I say, I want it all!

My questions are:

1) Why does radio reception go to crap when the stock unit is replaced? It doesn't sound like I'm not the only one this happens to.

2) Has anyone else confirmed that cutting the power wire to the antenna booster will work? I don't want to go mucking around with wires I don't understand without further reassurance that it'll work.

3) I'm thinking of getting a 4" Perrin - is this the correct one? I want to give this one a try first before considering turning my Fit into an RC Fit!

Any help would be appreciated...

Old 07-22-2010, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
use the toyota antennae

Why put a short antennae on...4" long?? The 16" toyota antennae works excellent for good reason. I put a similar antennae on my Fit and now recieve all channels; I used to get 90.1 and 90.9 on the FM band. The dealer said that was normal for all Fits, and anyways, everyone has an MP3 player today and no one listens to the radio anymore. I thought you were looking for better reception. These antennaes are all much shorter than a quarter wavelength at the FM band frequencies so you do well to take advantage of a few more inches of signal generating element. The mystery how cutting power to the factory signal amplifier improves the signal, is worthy of comment by any radio engineers out ther. I believe there is apost showing how to bring down the headliner to access the amplifier.
suggestion, clean antennae connection with electronics contact cleaner and lube with silicone based waterproof electronic connection sealant or vaseline to avoid future corrosion.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Cool I am sure...

Originally Posted by The Rickster
What do you mean by "tightening the antenna" ?
He meant screwing the antenna on tighter...the antenna just screws on to the mount on the top of the car, I take mine off when I run it through the car wash...

Keith S. :{)>
2010 Blackberry Pearl Sport Fit

Old 07-22-2010, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
In my experience (2009 model) I get about 10 miles more reception than I did with a Subaru Forester. In fact, city reception is fine with the antenna stub removed. I looked into the Matrix antenna, but when Toyota parts dept quoted me $60, I decided this was a non-problem that doesn't need fixing.