Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Need some Subwoofer advices

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I'd love to see photos too. I don't know why you are restricted by the Moderator.

My local shop is custom building me a box for an 8" sub, that goes behind the center "console" between the back seats. It will extend underneath the center of the back seat, with the sub downfiring. My only issue is where to put the amp. On top of the spare tire sounds great.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Photos will be up tomorrow

Hey folks, just read the posting on attaching photos. I'll have them up tomorrow.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:41 AM
My Sub and Amp with Photos

So, at last here are the photos of my solution to the Fit, Subwoofer, and Amp conundrum. Thanks to all the folks who replied to my original posts with suggestions for equipment and for the other posts which encouraged me to take on this project in the first place.

Materials were MDF, 10" diameter Sonotube, Vinyl Adhesive Caulk to seal all joints and between layers, 1x4 (cut to 2 3/4" height) for the sides of the tray, and 1/4" Plywood for the bottom of the tray. I pre-drilled and countersunk for all of the screws to prevent splitting.

I started with a piece of cardboard to make a template, then traced it along with the outline of the sonotube on to a piece of 3/4" MDF. I cut this with a jig-saw and test fit. In order for the base to sit flat, I removed the cargo tie down from this corner of the trunk.

Then I worked out the other pieces and cut them to fit. For each end of the tube there are two layers of MDF. An "outside" with the profile "fin" to match up with the trunk and an "inside" which for the bottom filled the tube and for the top was then cut to support the driver on a lip.

Then I tested the fit and found that I needed to cut a slight bevel on the sides of the top "fin" to match up with the angles of the plastic in the trunk. Do not glue or screw the top and bottom to the tube until you have done this. They will need to be trimmed/ rotated until the fit meets your satisfaction.

Then I did the final glue and screw of the tops and bottoms to the tube, installed binding posts (with 12ga leads soldered to inside connections to go to the driver) in a square hole I had previously cut in the bottom "outside" which extended as a round hole through the bottom "inside" (this will be determined by the shape of the binding post you buy). I also carpeted the whole enclosure with carpet from my local car audio store and good old Spray 77.

Then I added a layer of polyfill to the inside of the tube.

Finally I connected the wires from the binding post plate to the driver and installed the driver.

Now that the sub was assembled, I needed a place to put the amp. I cut a piece of plywood to fit where the trunk "lid" originally rested and cut sides out of 1x4 that were tall enough to allow 1/2" of clearance above my amp.

Finally, I put it all together.

I'm sure there will be questions, but I hope this helps you all out. Most everything else I did (wire routing, pulling the head to install the processor, etc I got from these forums).

Old 07-06-2008, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
That is simply awesome!