Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Anyone mount there amps in the wheel well?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Anyone mount there amps in the wheel well?

I decided to redo the entire stereo in the car, but am trying to keep as much space as possible. This means the spare tire has to go. My plan is to mount my 2 amps in the wheel well. The only thing that concerns me is amp overheating. have any of you done this, and have you noticed any issues? Also if you have any pics please post

Old 07-26-2008, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
You can do a nice install in the floor and do a partial cover of them with a heavy duty grille metal material.

http://74.175.101.66/dealer/items.asp?CartId={FC2C1D18-7D91-49BE-A549-C56937EFFEVERESTFDC}&Cc=G%2DMETAL
Select Products - Car Audio Installation Materials

My amps aren't exactly completely in the floor, but I used grille metal to cover them and protect them:

When I get a chance, I'll post up a picture of what a flushed install would look like.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Click on PRODUCTS at the top middle, then click on GRILLE METAL. You can use a paypal account to order the stuff. If their out of stock, it will take a few short weeks. These guys have been in business for 20 years and thousands of shops order from them.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member

Here's an example. You can make the grille opening large or small, square, whatever. Keep in mind, if your going to put stuff on top of it, a little smaller is better than bigger. Your opening can be about 3/4's the size of the amp. It can be elongated (rectangle) if two amps are side by side, but mounted left to right. This is one of my other cars using Mercedes carpet in a Subaru Outback. The board you use to cover the floor can by a high grade plywood or birch. Screw the grille metal to the board from the backside. The grille is under the board. Tuck your carpet best that you can over the edges of the board. The "grille metal look" makes your install look classy and professional.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Another thought. You can keep your spare tire and do your amp rack above the tire. Just make it accessible. Your rear floor board would be raised a little higher than normal. In my Subaru, I was able to keep my spare tire and in five years, only needed it once. That once, was on a trip in no-where-Maine on some back roads as I was looking to photograph Moose.

Here's the amps below the top board. Rack is finished in formica. This install is so old school which I prefer instead of the fiberglass-paint-everything install. This along with my Fit install above I feel are far better than the glossy crap that covers magazines. Almost all of those cars are done by somebody that can sand and paint, but can't tune the system itself to save their life.

I'll step down from my soapbox now.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Yup... amp in spare wheel well, sub in fiberglass side enclosure

Old 07-27-2008, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by radareclipse
You can do a nice install in the floor and do a partial cover of them with a heavy duty grille metal material.

http://74.175.101.66/dealer/items.asp?CartId={FC2C1D18-7D91-49BE-A549-C56937EFFEVERESTFDC}&Cc=G%2DMETAL
Select Products - Car Audio Installation Materials

My amps aren't exactly completely in the floor, but I used grille metal to cover them and protect them:

When I get a chance, I'll post up a picture of what a flushed install would look like.
You install looks great. A bit more than I am planning on doing. What grill material are you using? I think I will just use the stock fit board that covers the tire well, just cut a few holes and install some grill mesh underneath. Are you using the sub mesh, or the small mesh?

Old 07-27-2008, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
Sub mesh is the ONLY way to go. Larger openings are good for subs, or for amplifier cooling. Best of luck.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:09 AM
has anyone thought of mounting a few 12v 80mm computer case fans with ducts near the amp? Might keep you from needing a grill, just an exhaust / intake fan at some out-of sight vents. Would be pretty simple to rig as most of the power lines in cars are 12v anyways. Could put the amp anywhere as long as a was moving some air.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Been there, done it many times. There are fans made for that type of an install. They are 2in high x 6 or 7in long. You need a reasonable opening. Having a grill opening like above and placing one fan on each end of the amp rack-far side would work well. One is wired in phase, the other out of phase so you are pulling air in from one, pushing it out with the other. What I have above actually hasn't required fans. Especially if your lucky to have fans in the amps which some do. I believe Select Products sells those fans also.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Well got the amps mounted today. I ended up cutting a thin but sturdy piece of wood, and cut out a opening in the center of the wood where the spare tire bolt goes. I ended up using two bolts with a bracket, to attach the wood to the spare tire mount bolt. I then screwed the amps to the wood. Now if I decide to remove it, there will be no holes in the car. Now just have to order some of the grill mesh. Head unit and speakers should be here on Wed. Hope to have system completed by next weekend.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
NICE! Good thought on using the spare tire bolt hole. I would have suggested that but I usually don't think of those things without leaning over the car and looking at it myself at the time.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by radareclipse
NICE! Good thought on using the spare tire bolt hole. I would have suggested that but I usually don't think of those things without leaning over the car and looking at it myself at the time.
Thanks for the info radareclipse, only thing that has me worried now, is where to run the power cable through the firewall. The few pictures I have seen have people running it through the same grommit as the main harness. Don't really want to screw that up. Also got to get some grill mesh ordered.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Existing grommet area is perfect. You won't mess anything up. The important thing is that your large power wire can't be rubbing on metal edges in the firewall. That would be very bad, very bad! Ooof!
Looking good thus far. Keep it up. Did Select say how long it would take for the grille metal? If you did a slightly raised floor out of wood, you could slip all wires you need under that. Actually you probably can anyway because of the little foam riser pieces. That hole you bolted to would be a good grounding point to start with for your amps.
You can do a 7 inch x 14 inch grille area running front to back direction of the car. That way it overlaps both amps. You don't have to have total coverage. You want to keep some integrity in your floor panel itself.