Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

GPS Trackers instead of Lo/Jack

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member
Question GPS Trackers instead of Lo/Jack

Guys do you have any experience with GPS Tracker providers and hardware? Can you recommend any?

For the ones not knowing what I am talking about, there are GPS tracker devices the size of deck of card that can be hidden inside a car to provide vehicle recovery in case of theft similar to Lo/Jack.
The advantages over the Lo/Jack is that you can move the unit from car to car (even all over the world with some providers!), set geofence (if car exits the perimeter you get a call), trigger alert with a start up, transpose location over Google Earth satellite images for recovery and many other features! best one is that you do not need to rely on Lo/Jack equipped police vehicles to search for your vehicle - you just log in to providers web page and locate it in seconds and make a phone call to police with exact location info!
Let's face it, if somebody wants your car they will steal a tow track to steal it if they have to! "Smash and grabs" can prevented unless there is nothing tempting on the seat or Nav unit on the dash. What I am saying is that these things can't be prevented for certain, but at least we can have a satisfaction of getting pricks caught in the act! It is that fell of being violated and powerless I am trying to avoid just in case!

Some providers and hardware I dug up so far:
GPS Tracking Systems GPS Vehicle Tracking Systems GPS Car Tracking Systems
Spy Emporium GPS Tracking Systems Houston Travel Eyes 2 with Mapping Software GPS vehicle tracking devices Dallas PROTRAK Digital GPS Real Time Unit cellular GPS vehicle tracking Fort Worth Pro Scout GPS Logging System cars tracking device Texas PROT (use Microtrakgps services!)
GPS on SALE : GPS Tracking : GPS-Thief-Track™
GPS on SALE : GPS Tracking : GPS-CAR-TRACK™

Anybody has any more for comparison? It would be nice to eventually gather enough information to create a chart of features, costs and ease of install for ease of comparison and eventual educated purchase.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Old 04-14-2020, 09:38 PM
look at this: https://www.gearhunder.com/best-gps-tracker-for-car/
For the purpose of preventing theft, the use of hidden GPS is an advantageous option. I have considered using lojack, but it has more negative reviews. So I turned to Spytec, AMERICALOC, and it turns out that they are excellent trackers. They not only do a good job in tracking accuracy and recording driving routes, but also provide SOS function to facilitate help in case of danger. My family can also use them to track my location in real time, especially when I travel long distances by myself.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:40 AM
I have android headunit.android has find my device feature and also it has a running app. Real tracker 2 gps app. Once the unit starts the screen is password locked so nobody knows gps is active.downside the internet comes from a usb 4g stick that is blinking so if that gets disconnected by the thief.tracking will be turned off.wasnt lucky to buy a headunit with builtin sim slot